Sponsored by:

Drive By Wire on 997's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 02:28 PM
catbeasy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive By Wire on 997's?

Hello everyone, in my continuing quest to gather more data on the 997 line, anyone know if any of the drive by wire stuff comes standard or as an option (or not at all) on the 997's? More interested in info for the steering DBW than the throttle..as from the generic info I read on the throttle, it doesn't seem to be as 'anti-visceral' as the steering as I have driven a DBW (steering) infinity and did not like it at all - the feel of the road vanished - was very uncomfortable..

So wondering if this is something I should look out for if it happens to be an option in the 997 line?

Also, does anyone happen to know if this is standard/option/not at all for the next gen of these cars? (991's)

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Lyon's Motor Car LM2 Steamliner but they have been working on a Drive-By-Wire design that will be revolutionary. For people that have been saying their aren't enough vents on the LM2, there are ample vents on the car, there's 21 vents, that should be plenty. Don't worry this is a serious endeavor, the car was 9 months from production about 3 years ago so they are still kinda on schedule
Please watch, very impressive:
Old 02-16-2018, 03:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

The only 'drive-by-wire' on a 997 is (i) throttle control (gas pedal) where the pedal position generates an electrical signal which drives a motor in the throttle body, and (ii) transmission control signals generated by gear-level and paddles on tiptronic (997.1) and PDK (997.2).

The 991 has all of the above plus e-steering assist, which not only assists the steering but can drive the car.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:29 PM
catbeasy
AutoX

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Lyon's Motor Car LM2 Steamliner but they have been working on a Drive-By-Wire design that will be revolutionary. For people that have been saying their aren't enough vents on the LM2, there are ample vents on the car, there's 21 vents, that should be plenty. Don't worry this is a serious endeavor, the car was 9 months from production about 3 years ago so they are still kinda on schedule
Please watch, very impressive:
https://youtu.be/rg54BR53lOs
hmmm..ok..thanks..
Old 02-16-2018, 04:29 PM
catbeasy
AutoX

Originally Posted by ADias
The only 'drive-by-wire' on a 997 is (i) throttle control (gas pedal) where the pedal position generates an electrical signal which drives a motor in the throttle body, and (ii) transmission control signals generated by gear-level and paddles on tiptronic (997.1) and PDK (997.2).

The 991 has all of the above plus e-steering assist, which not only assists the steering but can drive the car.
Good info, thanks so much!
Old 02-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by catbeasy
hmmm..ok..thanks..
Watch the video, it's pure comedy. It'll make sense after watching it.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

I believe Porsche started throttle drive-by-wire in 2000. It is a component of stability management where it will cut throttle if the programming thinks you are out of control or spinning your rear wheels. I think they did a pretty good job of it because I can't tell.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-16-2018, 05:09 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

yup, the dead giveaway is pasm sport mode, with the throttle remapping in sport mode where the car is so more responsive to pedal taps.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by myw
yup, the dead giveaway is pasm sport mode, with the throttle remapping in sport mode where the car is so more responsive to pedal taps.
Contary to naysayers in this forum, Sport Chrono changes far more than just the throttle profile. A more aggressive engine mapping is also there.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:48 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Contary to naysayers in this forum, Sport Chrono changes far more than just the throttle profile. A more aggressive engine mapping is also there.
what do you mean by engine mapping? Are you sure you don' mean tcu shift mapping?
Old 02-16-2018, 08:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
what do you mean by engine mapping? Are you sure you don' mean tcu shift mapping?
There's more than a different throttle profile map... Due to a pic in the original brochure suggesting a more sensitive throttle with its action profile showing a translation (less pressure for some throttle opening) some say it is just that. But do the following: Set SC normal and just push harder/deeper the throttle pedal; you will find out that the engine is less responsive than with SC Sport. That suggests that more is going on, namely a more aggressive ECU engine mapping.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:13 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

There's more than a different throttle profile map... Due to a pic in the original brochure suggesting a more sensitive throttle with its action profile showing a translation (less pressure for some throttle opening) some say it is just that. But do the following: Set SC normal and just push harder/deeper the throttle pedal; you will find out that the engine is less responsive than with SC Sport. That suggests that more is going on, namely a more aggressive ECU engine mapping.

what you are describing is ecactly what throttle mapping is not ECU mapping. Throttle mapping is almost never completely linear. if there is any changes to ECU mapping you would literally be changing engine output then which of course is not happening.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:24 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

you continue to push this POV for a long time after plenty of people have shown evidence to you that there is no change to the engine mapping/timing in Sport mode. The only change is to throttle input.

Stop pushing this until you can show anyone evidence of this.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nwGTS

you continue to push this POV for a long time after plenty of people have shown evidence to you that there is no change to the engine mapping/timing in Sport mode. The only change is to throttle input.

Stop pushing this until you can show anyone evidence of this.
I have no PIWIS and I am no making claims of higher torque/power. This was told to me by Porsche people and I have no reason to doubt them as it is confirmed by my seat-of-the-pants experience.

Those without SC are quick to deny its benefits, also many are on-off (binary throttle applicators, all or nothing) and as such do not appreciate the difference, as the extreme boundary points (zero/full) are the same.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:58 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

I have no PIWIS and I am no making claims of higher torque/power. This was told to me by Porsche people and I have no reason to doubt them as it is confirmed by my seat-of-the-pants experience.

Those without SC are quick to deny its benefits, also many are on-off (binary throttle applicators, all or nothing) and as such do not appreciate the difference, as the extreme boundary points (zero/full) are the same.

it sounds like you're just confusing the terminology. ECU mapping would in fact change engine outputs. you're not claiming that. You're claiming that you can feel differences at different throttle position in the engines response. That is throttle mapping that you're talking about. I think you're just mistakenly using the term ECU mapping.

mike

Quick Reply: Drive By Wire on 997's?