Brake Pad Mileage? PCCM

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 11:41 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Brake Pad Mileage? PCCM

I'm curious to how other PCCM owners are doing on their pad life. I'm at 109,000 miles and still on the factory installed pads. I find it incredible! I have done incremental inspections at times just to make sure I'm not missing anything, and discovered at 40,000 miles I wore off--nothing!

Others? I'm not exactly a whimp when it comes to driving either, but I don't formally track the car. After all, it's a cabriolet! And I've never been over 182 mph.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:13 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If anything this is a great data point for PCCBs. Many including myself have avoided them due to the extreme cost of replacement pads and rotors.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:40 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

I've always viewed these as lifetime brakes. But they carry a risk of damage from incidental contact (removing a wheel for instance).
Old 02-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rw229
If anything this is a great data point for PCCBs. Many including myself have avoided them due to the extreme cost of replacement pads and rotors.
Prior to ordering them I checked on prices. The pads are virtually the same price as the normal iron brake pads. (Maybe $100 more, but clearly not an issue when the same thickness of pad goes so long)

The secret to the PCCBs is that the siliconized carbon fiber rotors remain so smooth for so long, unaffected like normal iron rotors, which clearly wear at an accelerated rate. When the rotor remains smooth, the wear upon the corresponding pads is lessened.

Granted, the cost of replacing rotors is expensive. Part of my exploration prior to ordering was the understanding that PCCB parts prices will benefit from the lowering of manufacturing expenses, as Brembo increases their production quantities. If more and more buyers opted for PCCBs the parts prices would be lower even if just by quantity buying.

Let's simply run the numbers. The majority of Porsche owners appear to be replacing pads with rotors around 40,000 miles. So, for every 250,000 miles, the fronts will need full servicing over 6 times. The rears maybe will get serviced twice in the same period. What do you pay for iron rotors and pads, etc. with each service? Multiply that by 6-7. Rears 1-2. I know some people pay nearly $1000 for such a service. Now we're into $6,000 for that work and parts.

What's the price of all new PCCB rotors? It's not something anyone would look forward to, but keep in mind that these things will easily go 250,000 miles or longer. Most Porsche owners flip their cars well before that. Usually, most Porsche owners swap out their cars at 40,000 miles, or about the time that first brake service is due. Even for those who hang on longer, they perhaps sell them at 100,000 miles or 125,000. As a result, investing in PCCBs is silly for Porsche buyers who don't hold onto their cars that long. I suggest that the reliability of these cars today has changed the way we think of keeping cars. These things are extremely reliable, with fewer things going wrong. Years ago we usually based our selling decisions upon simple cost-benefit analysis. When the price of keeping their car running was perceived as too high, it was time to look for another, newer one, or a brand new one. Better to sink cash into something that would be a drain on cash.

The vast majority of PCCB-equipped Carreras today will never come close to having to order new rotors for their cars.

The final added benefit from PCCBs is that you virtually never have dust, nor down-time with the car in the shop for brakes, etc. ultimately, you benefit from the incredible feel that is unique to the siliconized carbon fiber rotor.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Mileage? PCCM