Protect US Business!!! - Lutz on how Korea did it

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 10:21 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 983 Posts
Default Protect US Business!!! - Lutz on how Korea did it

Bob Lutz again.....http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...art-and-seoul/ Now we hear from Washington about how unfair competition is and how foreign governments are unfairly subsidizing their businesses to kill American jobs and industry. Well this is certainly true at times... the Japanese criminally attacked our electronics/TV industry and won. But, what about Korea Kia/Hyunai? Surely their success could not have come without Korean government help.

Bob Lutz says they did it using old-fashioned American principles.... competition. The Koreans opened up their borders to competition and foreign investment which drove their auto industry to build excellence.... and guess what all that open Korean competition did for their own industries?

So what should the strategy be for the USA?

Peace
Brice in Philly
Old 02-15-2018, 01:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

The US auto industry is perfectly capable of competing if unshackled from the unions. I still recall the Detroit auto worker dumping loose bolts in weld shut rear quarters of Oldsmobiles, knowing fully well he could do as he pleased.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:52 PM
door2416
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea get rid of the unions and pay the workers 10 bucks an hour . That will sure help somebody.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Delete
Old 02-15-2018, 02:06 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by door2416
Yea get rid of the unions and pay the workers 10 bucks an hour . That will sure help somebody.
Let's just face it Unions work and make communities better. Detroit was once the richest city in the world. The unions have created an ultra competitive work environment that pushes out better products at a cheaper cost and keeps the jobs in Detroit. Unions have made Detroit a city on the Hill and the policies of the Detroit politicians have given affordable housing to all, you can buy a house in Detroit for like $5,000, now that is progress.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:11 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by door2416
Unions have a role but not the role they play today.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 983 Posts

Korean autoworkers are protected by unions... and they strike. Regarding the USA, when UAW won pensions in 1949, they were unfunded. This was, in my opinion, sleazery on both the union and the companies - just one example of a whole boatload of crap. My point here is that the responsibilities for all of the problems with USA auto companies lie on many fronts. Unions are contributers but not to blame. The real blame is senior executives and boards who enriched themselves without regard to long-term health of stockholders..... unfunded pensions are just one of many examples as they kick a can down the road and weaken a company's future. Further, when there were only three, how do they make more money when all Americans have cars? They cheapen them... saves money and creates a higher demand for parts and replacements..... bad stuff. There was no competition (a small group of companies will collude and act like a monopoly called an oligopoly). It is in their interest to blame anyone and everyone but themselves. Unions are classic scapegoats.

When I was growing up, no car in the 70s hit 100K and if they did, it was a celebration.... and dashboard was cracked and the car drove crooked down the road... and and and. This had nothing to do with unions.

Now government should protect us from those awful ferners?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 02-15-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:54 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Korean autoworkers are protected by unions... and they strike. Regarding the USA, when UAW won pensions in 1949, they were unfunded. This was, in my opinion, sleazery on both the union and the companies - just one example of a whole boatload of crap. My point here is that the responsibilities for all of the problems with USA auto companies lie on many fronts. Unions are contributers but not to blame. The real blame is senior executives and boards who enriched themselves without regard to long-term health of stockholders..... unfunded pensions are just one of many examples as they kick a can down the road and weaken a company's future. Further, when there were only three, how do they make more money when all Americans have cars? They cheapen them... saves money and creates a higher demand for parts and replacements..... bad stuff. There was no competition (a small group of companies will collude and act like a monopoly called an oligopoly). It is in their interest to blame anyone and everyone but themselves. Unions are classic scapegoats.
Bruce in Philly
Bruce, you nailed it perfectly: The investment boards and the fat execs are the only one to blame.

Louis XVI (former King of France) used to say: "Apres moi le deluge." (after my reign, the deluge/chaos can happen). It did happen and he got his head severed. Now, maybe the same needs to happen to sleazy politicians and ruthless Execs.

Yves
Old 02-15-2018, 03:22 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 159 Posts

Without Unions we would not have got workmans comp, safe workplaces, survivor benefits, and many other things. In the old days if you were killed or injured on a job, you were lucky to get that days pay and off to home or the mortuary you went, and it was all legal....That was it. Many wives and kids were forced to live in poor houses once hubby was killed or injured on the job. Or they would not pay you for overtime, and you could be fired for refusing to do it. Its quite easy to bash Unions on conservative media, but if you actually read historical documents and see the abises the robber barons did to their workers...then you see why they were formed. In some cases the goons and hired security of the various companies opened fire and outright murdered workers who dared to want to be treated fairly. Happened in Colorado and WV many times. Its all documented. Labor wars, mine wars....its all there to read about.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:15 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Bruce, you nailed it perfectly: The investment boards and the fat execs are the only one to blame.

Louis XVI (former King of France) used to say: "Apres moi le deluge." (after my reign, the deluge/chaos can happen). It did happen and he got his head severed. Now, maybe the same needs to happen to sleazy politicians and ruthless Execs.

Yves
Says the guy driving around in a Porsche

Last edited by Austin997.2; 02-15-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:04 PM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

...but most if not all those things the Unions paved the road for, are now guaranteed by State and Federal Laws. I have never worked for a Union shop, so I am not an expert on what they do or don't do, I can say I know enough about them to know I do not want to work for any employer that has a Union Shop. I want to be paid for my contribution based on my skill and ability, and not be restricted by a labor organization dictating what I can and can not do. Just as if I were an Employer I want to be allowed to hire the best talent and skill available and not be forced by regulation that I have to hire below my standard so that I can meet artificially justified diversity goals. I expect a fair day wage for a fair day of work, and vice-versa.

You defeat poverty by Employment not by Welfare.

Thief is thief, there is no moral justification for thief.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:12 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JABowders
...but most if not all those things the Unions paved the road for, are now guaranteed by State and Federal Laws. I have never worked for a Union shop, so I am not an expert on what they do or don't do, I can say I know enough about them to know I do not want to work for any employer that has a Union Shop. I want to be paid for my contribution based on my skill and ability, and not be restricted by a labor organization dictating what I can and can not do. Just as if I were an Employer I want to be allowed to hire the best talent and skill available and not be forced by regulation that I have to hire below my standard so that I can meet artificially justified diversity goals. I expect a fair day wage for a fair day of work, and vice-versa.

Well said.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:31 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve always enjoyed reading or watching what Bob Lutz has to say. It seems the Japanese are the ones who should be most concerned with Korea. My father has a Genesis G80 and it reminds me of the first Lexus LS 400 with it’s subdued styling, reliability, and value. In fact, I can’t wait for them to offer a Genesis SUV so Lexus and Acura can really get nervous.

The strategy for the US automakers? I was born and raised in Detroit. I grew up thinking the unions were the problem for the downfall of the big 3 and ultimately for Detroit itself. Now that I’m older and more cynical, I believe that the automakers and their boards and execs are to blame. The decisions come from the top.

It seems the Dodge/Jeep/Ram group which I still consider an American auto company even though they are part of FCA is doing the best. They make vehicles which play to their strengths. I had a Ram 1500 and a Jeep Wrangler and currently own a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. Ford is doing better but GM still has a ways to go. GM always seems to almost get it.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

When I was growing up, no car in the 70s hit 100K and if they did, it was a celebration.... and dashboard was cracked and the car drove crooked down the road... and and and. This had nothing to do with unions.

Now government should protect us from those awful ferners?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

I agree with your perspective, but Unions have more than a fair share of the problem and it's inherent on their praxis.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JABowders

Precisely!

Quick Reply: Protect US Business!!! - Lutz on how Korea did it