Sponsored by:

Learning to Drive - sticky or slippy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:31 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Wayne, I am with you.... anyone who has observed children can plainly see big differences in how they abosorb and interact with the world based on pre-wiring or physical characteristics. In the other camp is Malcolm Gladwell who in his book "Outliers" describes the "10,000-Hour Rule", claiming that the key to achieving world-class expertise in any skill, is, to a large extent, a matter of practicing the correct way, for a total of around 10,000 hours, though the authors of the original study this was based on have disputed Gladwell's usage." The the wiki on his book here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)

I find it interesting that when folks discuss some concept or something controversial, the arguments move to addressing extremes....... most of us, by definition live in the meaty part of the bell curve...... so to driving..... most of us require learning to operate a car. We then require learning to create and establish neural pathways for fast action such turning into a surprise skid or not lifting the throttle in a turn as a reaction to the car suddenly moving. This is the difference between a reaction and a planned response. High performance driving, and the fun of it, was best described to me by a friend who had his SCCA license and raced spec racer Fords for a time. He said something about the fun of it is driving so fast the car is slipping around.... controlling the car in the slip zone... getting close to losing control. If you have sticky tires and a high performance car with appropriate suspension geometry, this means you need to be going really fast to get deep into this slip zone. This is why faster is more dangerous. Faster requires a pre-wired reaction library in your brain vs time to solve for a sliding car. Said another way, if you don't have the reaction skill, you are going to wreck (into me!).

So my point is how do we develop this library of reactions? Buying a Porsche and driving fast? Buying stickier tires and boosting horsepower? If you think this is true, then stay the heck away from me.

Bonus points: What is the difference between slipping and sliding?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Again, I use my kids to agree with your points (all of them)...

We tried skiing. The kids were freaked out when the ski started to slip. I said, “skiing is controlled falling with the goal of falling down the hill, but not falling down.”

And then we also practiced falling down. Learning how to fall allows kids to get hurt less often, but also, falling often sometimes results in them catching themselves and saving it.

That “saving it” is the border between control and lack of control, and the more practice time spent there, the better chance of recovery due to those quick reaction times you speak of on the racetrack at the limit. It needs to be practiced for experience and for muscle memory, let alone, being comfortable and confident, which results in focus, rather than freaking out and losing it.

Slipping is when you still have excellent grip and you have finite control over the car/tires and you are not scrubbing much heat/speed as the tires are squeezing their little microscoping fingers into the crevices of the road surface.
Sliding is when you lose finite control and move to broadband control (having to use much larger inputs) and you are scrubbing off a lot of heat and speed. The tires no longer squeeze their fingers into the road surface, but now have to drag their “hands” across the surface for lower friction and control.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:39 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj40
Bruce, There is a really good article (which I can't find on the web right now) from an old Car and Driver where they described the process Ford used to qualify their test drivers. They started in an old Crown Vic with crappy tires on sandy loose surfaces - i.e. learn to control the car in slippy circumstances at lower speeds. Once they had mastered this they could move up.

If you want to go faster sticky tires, more HP all help - if you want to control the car on the limit experience in the car slipping/sliding is essential if you want to be really fast. Watching the F1 last season there was some great shots of the cars at Austin going through the curves - the commentators were describing the 'slip angles' -i.e. the car is moving sideways through the curves as the tires are on the edge of adhesion. At that level through the corners are cars are moving around all the time and understanding how to control a car as it slides is essential.

Now I've done some skid pan training over the years - great fun but I've never done enough to translate that to higher speeds :-) I guess I'll be happy being the middle of the pack at the next HPDE event I go to!!
To qualify test drivers translates to those they are qualifying already possess car control skills at a certain level.

I cannot recall the guys name, but 10 - 15 years ago this old guy used to show up at PCA HPDEs in the absolutely worst beater sedans he could rent from car rental places when he would fly in to instruct. He was have Buicks and all of these 4 door granny mobiles dang near on 3 wheels with a car load of students doing hot laps. It was hilarious to watch and I always wondered what the heck the rental car places thought when they got those things back with shredded tires and only a very few miles traveled.

We used to run the Skippy buses around Lague Seca full of students quicker than some students were lapping in their Formula Dodges . . . okay, perhaps some of the grannies and reluctant wives forced to attend . . .
Old 02-18-2018, 02:01 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
It's funny Tim...it's all I have ever experienced and it's my personal professional experience as well so I know it and believe it first hand. I don't believe nor have I observed anyone ever that's innately talented....skills and practice are the ticket IMO. Unless it's picking a car color....then I feel you Dan and I are innately talented at that.....or we just copied Dan!

Tom
Tom, I hate to admit it, I really, really hate to admit it, but at the time my 11 year old daughter picked out Turquoise Blue. She saw pictures of you both yours and Dan’s cars and said, “Dad, are you insane, this is the color you have to get”. I wanted Gaurds Red but our deal has always been that she picks the color (previously she chose SY), so Turquoise Blue it was. And of course she chose perfectly (I got my Gaurds Red fix with the seat belts and instrument dial). So, the only innate talent I have is a partial didactic memory and echoist hearing. I’d be dumb as dirt if I didn’t innately remember seeing and hearing a large fraction of what comes across my path.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:25 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj40
That's a great book and a worthwhile read for anyone. There is a mountain of evidence that it's all experience and that 10,000 hours of practice will get you to a world class performance - if you haven't started young its really hard to amass that level of experience later in life..

Edit....looks like Bruce beat me to it :-)
Okay, here’s a data point for you. First, do you know how long it takes to get 10,000 hours of experience in at anything? I’ve been riding/racing bicycles for 23 years and just over 11,000 hours in the saddle (about 205,000 miles). And I was never better than an awful Cat. 3 and now a middling Cat. 4 age grouper (Pro is three levels and about a billion light years above Cat. 3). The point is, training, coaching and practice have only been able to get me a sustained 260 or so watt output, and thats a good 10 or or so watts lower due to the impact of age. A successful Cat. 3 will be at about 290 watts and a professional somewhere in the mid to high 300s. That doesn’t seem like much, but until you swing your leg over a saddle you really can’t appreciate how much effort it takes to generate just 10 extra watts at 24 mph. Unless you have the genetic ability to sustain high power output you’ll never be get there by practice alone (or even with PEDs, as even they don’t override genetics). Of course, wiles learned from practice do contribute to success (at least in bike racing), so that is something. Really, at the end if the day, this is just a re-hash of the nature versus nurture argument so there is no definitive answer.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:06 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999

Tom, I hate to admit it, I really, really hate to admit it, but at the time my 11 year old daughter picked out Turquoise Blue. She saw pictures of you both yours and Dan’s cars and said, “Dad, are you insane, this is the color you have to get”. I wanted Gaurds Red but our deal has always been that she picks the color (previously she chose SY), so Turquoise Blue it was. And of course she chose perfectly (I got my Gaurds Red fix with the seat belts and instrument dial). So, the only innate talent I have is a partial didactic memory and echoist hearing. I’d be dumb as dirt if I didn’t innately remember seeing and hearing a large fraction of what comes across my path.
Tim...I never saw those seat belts...can you post a pic? I love GR too but not as much as TB! Your daughter has the eye my friend!!

Tom

Quick Reply: Learning to Drive - sticky or slippy?