Sponsored by:

How-To Video on Adjusting Your Shifter Cables

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 12:19 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 472 Likes on 168 Posts
Default How-To Video on Adjusting Your Shifter Cables

Good video on how to adjust your shifter cables to reduce a notchy 1st and 2nd gear.

The following users liked this post:
srb1194 (11-30-2022)
Old 02-10-2018, 01:28 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Going into my garage to do this right now - nothin better to do on a rainy Saturday!
Old 02-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Damon88
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the post. Just Ordered the tools needed. jeebus31 please let us know how yours turned out.

Cheers
D
Old 02-10-2018, 01:50 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Damon88
Thanks for the post. Just Ordered the tools needed. jeebus31 please let us know how yours turned out.

Cheers
D
Will do - I ordered the shift locking tool a few months ago, just never got around to it. The motivation has returned after seeing that video
Old 02-10-2018, 01:53 PM
Damon88
Instructor

After watching the video and searching some reviews i ordered it right away. I agree its a great thing to do when the weather is miserable out.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

Sorry, I don't believe this for a minute.

That tool is for getting your stick to stand up straight... that's it. Nothing more. If you want your stick to stand straight up, get a high speed internet line.

The clicking, springing, grinding, jamming... whatever ails you, is all done inside the transmission. The cables lengths have nothing to do with it. The shift lever merely pushes and pulls the cables (actually they are stiff, flexible rods, not "cables"). The shift leaver has no single point of reverance for good or off shifts. It is a very simple, floppy leaver with no reference point. The cables (think about them at the transmission terminus), have no idea how long they are.

Said another way, the shifter mechanism under the boot has no detents, springs, or positioning system (other than how the cables hold it up). It literally will flop around if the cables aren't there to hold it up. Yes, it is the cables that hold up the shift lever. The H pattern, springy feel, everything that feel mechanical with you shifter is all coming from inside the transmission.

Wasting your time folks.

If you do feel some benefit, it is because you are paying attention to your shifts and changing your behaviors. It is not from the adjustment. When you are paying attention, you are moving your shifter in more defined "L" patterns and this will give you smoother shifts. Try it. If you move your shifter from say neutral to 1st. or 2nd to 3rd in a straight line (45 degree line), you will have a chunky/jammed shift. If you move in defined left-right, forward-back movements, you will get smoother shifts (something you will do naturally if you are paying more attention). Just the act of paying attention changes the shift feel.

More reading here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post11734128

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 02-10-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:43 PM
61HealeyBN7
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very helpful. My '08 997 has 1 - 2 gate shifts that are troublesome, sometimes. Hopefully this adjustment will help. Looks like the biggest part of the job is removing all the trim bits, and then getting the shift **** off. Maybe a good time for a FF shift **** upgrade.
Now I'm curious. Why would the 1st and 2nd gear position shifts be difficult sometimes, and not the other shifts: 3-4, 5-6, or even reverse? Why would cable adjustment go out of whack on that shift rail only? I need to do some google research on the cable shifting linkage for the 997.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:24 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Ok, done. Took me a little over an hour. Taking off the gear **** isn't that bad. Just recruit your shoulders and pull with both hands gripping the just above the locking ring. I went from 5 notches to 2 on the blue cable and from 6 to 4 on the black cable. My biggest gripe was 1-2 shift when cold. I went on a 13 mile drive and felt that the 1-2 shift was modestly but noticeably improved. Placebo effect? Maybe, but now it's early in the afternoon and I feel like I earned a beer... so I will call this a win. Unlike the star of the video, I only got richer by one penny.

Name:  w9LbhQL.png
Views: 860
Size:  581.7 KB

Name:  pNWTu47.png
Views: 855
Size:  593.3 KB

Name:  ZtUx7vO.png
Views: 778
Size:  586.0 KB

Name:  FIUTGmP.png
Views: 773
Size:  550.3 KB
Old 02-10-2018, 09:55 PM
Damon88
Instructor

Bruce in Philly i have to disagree with you on this. I appreciate everyones insight on this forum as, by far this the best site for our awesome cars. If all i get is a straight shifter... well mission accomplished... By no means is this a waist of time. What this adjustment does, is it allows me to have an excuse to go out and tinker in my garage with my dream car. It allows me to hang in the garage, crank some tunes and mess around while it rains, rains,rains here in BC. Maybe i will even find a couple dollars in change and buy the wife something hahaha. Anyways love everyones input either way ! Jeebus31 hope your beer tasted great bud.

Cheers
D
Old 02-11-2018, 09:14 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by Damon88
Bruce in Philly i have to disagree with you on this. I appreciate everyones insight on this forum as, by far this the best site for our awesome cars. If all i get is a straight shifter... well mission accomplished... By no means is this a waist of time. What this adjustment does, is it allows me to have an excuse to go out and tinker in my garage with my dream car. It allows me to hang in the garage, crank some tunes and mess around while it rains, rains,rains here in BC. Maybe i will even find a couple dollars in change and buy the wife something hahaha. Anyways love everyones input either way ! Jeebus31 hope your beer tasted great bud.

Cheers
D
I get it.... i replaced a bunch of parts that probably would have lasted a life time. But you may consider installing the Numeric shifter... it is good entertainment both installing it and you experience it every time you shift. Not many of these tweaks are actually something you can experience.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-11-2018, 06:54 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

I'm surprised at how much easier it is for me to shift 1-2 so this isn't placebo effect. Before, I had to use some muscle to go 1-2 - now a simple flick of the wrist will do, just how it is from 3-4. Hopefully some more people can try it and report back.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:10 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

When I replaced my cables and shifter with the Numeric I just followed their instructions for adjusting the cables and it worked great. If that tool works that good as well.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:00 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 472 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31
I'm surprised at how much easier it is for me to shift 1-2 so this isn't placebo effect. Before, I had to use some muscle to go 1-2 - now a simple flick of the wrist will do, just how it is from 3-4. Hopefully some more people can try it and report back.
Good feedback. I just replaced my clutch and 1st and 2nd became a little notchy so was planning to try it.

Quick Reply: How-To Video on Adjusting Your Shifter Cables