Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying the complete Fabspeed 997 performance package

Old 02-09-2018, 11:52 AM
Lowcountry
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking of buying the complete Fabspeed 997 performance package

http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997-...mance-package/

I'm looking for first-hand impressions of this kit from those who have either bought it themselves or driven a car that has the kit installed on it. Anyone out there with input? It's an expensive kit, so I'm sure some will say that I can get more bang for the buck by picking and choosing components from different manufacturers and combining them on my car. What I like about Fabspeed is that they're a recognized and reputable company, and I like the idea of a homogeneous kit better than a random compilation of parts. Any first-hand impressions are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:20 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I think it would be better if you were to post what you are trying to achieve so people could give better advice. I would agree with you that the package you linked to is not probably for everyone. I cant see spending 8 grand to get a car that has an extra 15hp and different exhaust note. There are easier ways.

Mike
Old 02-09-2018, 12:32 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Better to get a GTS or Turbo, or perhaps find a OEM X51 kit.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:44 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,253 Posts

That is the full kit and tune that is on my car. It was there when I bought it. It sounds fantastic, and the car feels very quick and responsive. I like it a lot. My only valid comparison though is with an 04 C4S (996). Mine is an 05 C2. My car "feels" noticeably faster, and "quicker" to get there. I'd like to drive a 997 S sometime to compare. I've been told that with the mods on my car, including hi-flow cats, my crank hp is higher than a comparable stock S. I have not dyno'd it. I love the sound.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:47 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S

This.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:09 PM
Lowcountry
Advanced

Hmm, I don't guess I'm really trying to accomplish anything. It's just kind of a gradual evolution of things, I think. Modding and "improving" the car is part of the ownership process for every enthusiast's car that I've owned. I drive them a bit, mod them a bit, drive them some more, mod them some more, etc. I don't like aesthetic mods, I like mods that add performance. I've had the car for 8 months now, and I'm looking to get some of the thrill back. My understanding is that this entire kit adds more than just 15hp. With intake, headers, 200-cell cats, mufflers and ECU flash, I would suspect the increase is more in the 30-45hp range, no? I would think that there is a noticeable increase in performance, as well as a noticeable improvement in induction/exhaust note. This is really why I'm seeking first-hand information on this kit. I'd like to know who bought it and liked it, who bought it and disliked it, and why.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Lowcountry
Advanced

Well, I bought this car less than a year ago. It's in great condition and has very low miles for a 2007 (28,000 when I bought it, now about 35,000). I paid low 40's for it, and can't get close to either a GTS or a Turbo for that kind of money. I'm happy and glad to have a Carrera S, but I'd also like to make it all it can be without touching it aesthetically. "under the radar" or "sleeper," so to speak.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:19 PM
Lowcountry
Advanced

Originally Posted by linderpat
That is the full kit and tune that is on my car. It was there when I bought it. It sounds fantastic, and the car feels very quick and responsive. I like it a lot. My only valid comparison though is with an 04 C4S (996). Mine is an 05 C2. My car "feels" noticeably faster, and "quicker" to get there. I'd like to drive a 997 S sometime to compare. I've been told that with the mods on my car, including hi-flow cats, my crank hp is higher than a comparable stock S. I have not dyno'd it. I love the sound.
Thank you, this is the type of helpful info that I'm looking for
Old 02-09-2018, 01:34 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Look into doing the TPC supercharger kit. If you really want that extra HP it looks to be a good deal. I think VF also has blower kit for the 997.1
Old 02-09-2018, 01:35 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

No, I dont think you will see those gains everywhere in the power band. As an example, if you look at the power gains on the fabspeed headers, you'll see that on the "real" dyno that showed the 3 baseline runs and 3 performance runs after 4500rpm the gains were a wash. Basically none. As im sure you know if you are giving the car 100% acceleration you'd be shifting into each gear well above that 4500rpm mark anways so youd see basically no acceleration gains going WOT.

Look at the dark purple line at 6000rpm and then look at the yellow line at 6000rpm. It shows the stock run about 10hp HIGHER than the modified run.

The x51 power kit designed by Porsche gives around 20 CRANK horsepower. That kit includes higher flowing cylinder heads, a full intake tract change, and the sport exhaust.

So if you wanted to go all out and try and get around 40hp you could spend the 13 grand on the x51 kit and then another 5 grand on headers and cats and you may get close to that but thats a lot of modification for very little bang for the buck IMO.

If you love modding you may get more bang for your buck focusing on things like further weight reduction and more "feel good" mods like changing the intake or exhaust note to be more desirable to you. You wont get much more power but at least youll be spending a more reasonable amount of money on changes you are enjoying. Pick an exhaust that sounds be best to you and you will enjoy. I, personally, love the sounds of millteks and think the fabspeeds only sound good at WOT but at idle and light throttle they sound like fart cans IMO. So see what you like, though. Thats totally subjective. The sounds of an open intake is also really nice on this car. It gives it that signature Porsche "wail"

IMO you have to be careful about overmodding the NA porsche cars though. You can mod them away from what you liked about them or away from what they got right.

Mike
Old 02-09-2018, 01:59 PM
DC911S
Drifting

X51 has different headers too...
Old 02-09-2018, 02:06 PM
Lowcountry
Advanced

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
No, I dont think you will see those gains everywhere in the power band. As an example, if you look at the power gains on the fabspeed headers, you'll see that on the "real" dyno that showed the 3 baseline runs and 3 performance runs after 4500rpm the gains were a wash. Basically none. As im sure you know if you are giving the car 100% acceleration you'd be shifting into each gear well above that 4500rpm mark anways so youd see basically no acceleration gains going WOT.

Look at the dark purple line at 6000rpm and then look at the yellow line at 6000rpm. It shows the stock run about 10hp HIGHER than the modified run.

The x51 power kit designed by Porsche gives around 20 CRANK horsepower. That kit includes higher flowing cylinder heads, a full intake tract change, and the sport exhaust.

So if you wanted to go all out and try and get around 40hp you could spend the 13 grand on the x51 kit and then another 5 grand on headers and cats and you may get close to that but thats a lot of modification for very little bang for the buck IMO.

If you love modding you may get more bang for your buck focusing on things like further weight reduction and more "feel good" mods like changing the intake or exhaust note to be more desirable to you. You wont get much more power but at least youll be spending a more reasonable amount of money on changes you are enjoying. Pick an exhaust that sounds be best to you and you will enjoy. I, personally, love the sounds of millteks and think the fabspeeds only sound good at WOT but at idle and light throttle they sound like fart cans IMO. So see what you like, though. Thats totally subjective. The sounds of an open intake is also really nice on this car. It gives it that signature Porsche "wail"

IMO you have to be careful about overmodding the NA porsche cars though. You can mod them away from what you liked about them or away from what they got right.

Mike
Sound advice, thanks for the response. I have also considered just putting a Fabspeed intake and Fister mufflers on the car. That is likely the most cost effective way to increase my enjoyment of the car.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:07 PM
Lowcountry
Advanced

X51 has different headers too...
Yep, If I could find X51 headers anywhere I would likely buy them immediately.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:11 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The most economical way to get real extra power would be to sell your car and find another with the X51 option.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Lowcountry
Advanced

Fabspeed intake 895.00
Fabspeed headers 1295.00
IPD Plenum 790.00
Fister D mufflers 380.00

So looking at about $3400 for these mods, which may be a suitable substitute for the full Fabspeed kit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of buying the complete Fabspeed 997 performance package