Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Keeps Getting Drained!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 08:26 AM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I’ve been in the bad habit of leaving the key in the ignition in all my cars for years when in our garage. This works for older cars like my air cooled but not my 997.1 C2s. If you leave the key in the ignition in the OFF position it will drain the battery over night. Ask me how I know!

Last edited by Uwon; 10-08-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:04 AM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uwon
I’ve been in the bad habit of leaving the key in the ignition in all my cars for years when in our garage. This works for older cars like my air cooled but not my 997.1 C2s. If you leave the key in the ignition in the OFF position it will drain the battery over night. As me how I know!
When I first got mine I did the same thing. Leaving key in is no good in a 997, computers won't go to sleep with key in.

That said, I also put a larger agm battery in mine. In order to save weight (and cost, which gets on my **** a little) , Porsche puts in really small and cheap batteries. You can clearly see where the mounts are for a larger form factor battery.

Since I put the "good" battery in mine, I don't even have to use a tender anymore. I can let it sit for well over 2 weeks without any issues.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:22 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I left my car unlocked the day it was delivered... the next day the battery, the battery was too low to start the car. I charged the battery and lock the car all the time now. Never had another problem. I do occasionally give the battery a good slow charge if voltage drops to low 12s. Fully charged, this battery is around 14.3 v.

Quick Reply: Battery Keeps Getting Drained!