Sponsored by:

Need Purchase Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 12:43 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Need Purchase Help

So I am looking at several cars out of the state of Texas and need some help and pointers. I know to run a CarFax and obtain as many pictures as possible. I will have the car go through a PPI.

Is a non Porsche place for a PPI good enough.

I of course want a Porsche dealer to do it, but many have told me they do not do that.

After the PPI do you then negotiate down the asking price on the car according to why needs done?

Is it customary to hold the car for like $1000 and if everything checks out that goes to the purchase price. What if a issue is found? Is the $1000 forfeit?

Like I said I am new and have no idea what I am doing.

Brian
Old 02-07-2018, 09:15 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
So I am looking at several cars out of the state of Texas and need some help and pointers. I know to run a CarFax and obtain as many pictures as possible. I will have the car go through a PPI.

Is a non Porsche place for a PPI good enough.

I of course want a Porsche dealer to do it, but many have told me they do not do that.

After the PPI do you then negotiate down the asking price on the car according to why needs done?

Is it customary to hold the car for like $1000 and if everything checks out that goes to the purchase price. What if a issue is found? Is the $1000 forfeit?

Like I said I am new and have no idea what I am doing.

Brian
I have never heard of a Porsche dealer refusing to PPI. I had mine PPI’d at a dealer whom was not selling the car. It was expensive, however. I would want a Porsche expert (dealer or independent) to look the car over and not a Honda technician.

$1,000 is plenty of money on deposit to secure the car and put through inspection. I would negotiate a sales price contingent on satisfactory PPI results. The dealer may not want to take the car of the market without an agreed price. Anything that comes up at PPI can be renegotiated to get the deal done, or you simply pay for those items if not significant. It depends on how motivated you or seller is, after all.

When I purchased, I identified a couple items I wanted resolved as part of the deal ahead of PPI (repaired wheel).

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:30 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Porsche dealers in Dallas, Houston and Atlanta all said they do not do PPI. When I asked who they go to for them 2 out of the 3 said that they cannot recommend anyone. Sounded weird. Thanks for the info. There is no dealer for over a hundred miles where I am looking at the car and it is in California and I am in Texas. I did find a shop that specializes in BMW and Porsche so hopefully they can do a PPI. Not sure if non dealers can pull the rev limit exceeded information. On a stick that is really important as it can really tell how the car was driven. Thanks for the info. Anyone else have any words of wisdom?
Old 02-07-2018, 12:02 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Indy shops can do the overrev report.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:49 PM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I’d have a Porsche Indy do the ppi. No way I’d trust a non-Porsche mechanic to know what to look for.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:54 PM
fyn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my area the closest Porsche dealer to me used to do PPI's (and still may), but we also have a number of Porsche specialty indy shops that all have the same methods and tools, including DME reports. It's possible the dealers you spoke with were part of a larger network of dealers like Autonation, and it may be their policy - not Porsche's. Porsche doesn't own the dealerships so the service can vary wildly between them.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:17 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a PPI done at a Porsche dealer in SC when I bought my car from out of state. They tried to buy the car out from under me. Horrible experience, and I would definitely use an Indy next time.

Where in California is the car you are looking at?
Old 02-07-2018, 01:27 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Where in Texas? Most of them do require a $1000 deposit and some Porsche dealerships will do a PPI but some no longer allow it due to legal liability. I had one situation where one dealer in TX allowed an Indy to use their shop lift to do the PPI because they didn't want the car to leave the lot. I would focus on looking for a Porsche Specific Indy shop. Be careful because some of the Hurricane Harvey cars are starting to make their way through lots with very little detection.

With the PPI results, you can use this as leverage but it's more of a piece of mind to find out the history of the car; so results may vary.

Use your best judgement and patience when shopping for this car. Proceed with the PPI ONLY if you've seen it in person and it checks off all of your boxes. Always make sure they put it in writing that the deposit is 100% refundable and contingent on a good PPI and your approval. Never proceed when sight unseen. I've read way too many horror stories here because pictures and salesman didn't do the justice. Good luck in your seach!

-Arnold
Old 02-07-2018, 02:56 PM
bstmusic
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

While I haven't even finalized the purchase of my 1st Porsche yet, I had a very good experience with getting a PPI in Houston two weeks ago at European Auto Techniks (281) 873-5111. Michael & Lynn run the place, and Michael has 30 years exp working on Porsches. His garage, when I visited, had about 10 Porsches. I was very pleased with his thoroughness and interpretation on my car. He charged $338, but it depends on how much time he spends inspecting and sharing results. I'll be taking my car there for repairs when they are needed. I should be completing the purchase of this 2007 base Carrera MT in the next week. Can't wait! European Auto Techniks website
Old 02-07-2018, 03:25 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

I am in Deep East Texas, Lufkin. The car is in Temecula California. I found and Indy out there and spoke with the owner for about 20 minutes. He was very helpful. It would be a sight unseen thing so I am relying on the PPI heavily to make a call. I then would fly out and okay it in person and drive it 1500 miles home.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:52 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I gave a refundable deposit sight unseen and had an NYC area P dealer do my ppi. They told me the car had no issues. I then flew to New york with a bank check, drove the car, bought it and drove 650 miles home that day. It was a lot of fun
Old 02-07-2018, 04:01 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
I am in Deep East Texas, Lufkin. The car is in Temecula California. I found and Indy out there and spoke with the owner for about 20 minutes. He was very helpful. It would be a sight unseen thing so I am relying on the PPI heavily to make a call. I then would fly out and okay it in person and drive it 1500 miles home.
Temecula is my neck of the woods. Where in Temecula is it? Not too many in that area besides Tom's. BBI, GMG, Hergeshiemer are all on the west side of SoCal.

If the owner is willing, I recommend having CPR in Fallbrook do the PPI. They are about 20 miles south of Temecula.

https://cprclassic.com/ppi.html
Old 02-07-2018, 04:36 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Tom is who I spoke with for about 20 minutes and is doing the inspection right now. He seems like he knows his stuff. The place that is selling it is Top Notch Auto? I don’t trust used car guys. Is Tom a good guy? Trustworthy? The Standard PPI is like $120 and then he is going to call and give me a preliminary report and then see if I want him to do a compression check and bore scan while he is in there.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:49 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

If I could throw my 2 cents in based on my own experience on PPI's. $120 probably won't buy a thorough analysis of the car. I don't know what year the car is that you are looking at, but things i would consider if i were doing a PPI again:
- If it is a TIP, have the IMS bearing checked (can be done with a scope in minutes)
- drop the oil pan and check for metal, etc.
- Have the oil changed and have them open up the filter for the same reason as above
- And the other things already mentioned (bore scan, DME report, etc.)

Lots of smart guys on this forum could suggest other things to have checked. I would definitely use an Indy that has a really sharp Porsche mechanic (my guy had 40 years working on them).
Old 02-07-2018, 05:03 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

I agree. This PPI is all high level at this time to see if I want him to dig deeper. It is going to be a lot more cosmetic. If it passes this part then we will dig deeper and do a compression and bore scan. This will tell me though what the car looks like and how many over revs along with how it drives along with other things. If everything is done the PPI will cost me like $430. The car is a standard 2009 Carrera stickshift so it doesn’t have an IMS. Thanks and yes I am thankful for your 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Need Purchase Help