New Member Wave

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:17 PM
Helipilot2
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Wave

Hey guys,
new here and really new to Porsche. The wife and I have been wanting to add a fun car to the garage and have been browsing. We were looking at a Cobra kit car and 13+ Viper but my buddy who is a big car enthusiast recommended for the price range to check out the 911 Turbo. Been doing some reading and have a ton more to do. We will be looking to buy next year so I have time to do my homework, so far I am in love with what I see and read about the car. I am trying to nail down all the fancy Porsche language and terminology lol. We would like to stick with a manual, we aren't quite ready for an automatic sports car this early in life. With that being said it looks like we want to be searching between 2004-2008 and 2010-2013. It looks like the 997.2 may be more where we lean due to some simple upgrades, better power, and a few more features. My buddy said he wouldn't be afraid of picking one up with 50k miles on it due to the reliability and cars like this usually have all maintenance records and are in good shape. Is this true or should I be looking to avoid higher mileage ones? For us it will be a weekend car, date night car, and occasionally used to drive to work when we want to have a little fun. She has to fit customers so wouldn't suit her work needs very often. What kinda of upkeep costs and insurance costs can we expect with a car like this? Currently with Progressive. There wouldn't be to much planned for it other than probably a tune, exhaust, and maybe wheels depending on which wheels it came with. Any input, suggestions, or anything of the sorts is very welcomed. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:42 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on your budget you would have figure out which model and modification you would want:
2005-2008 997.1 - less power, engine prone to issues with IMS bearing and RMS leak, older PCM - infontaiment, non LED lights, 6spd or Tiptronic .most cars , are out of CPO warranty.
Pro: best bang for the buck. Would be 30-40k range
2009-2012 997.2 - more power Especailly S model (385hp). DFI engine bullet proof, upgraded interior, more modern PCM, BT, nav etc.. 6 spd manual or PDK (automated manual, the best in the world ) most cars still have CPO Warranty or can be had with extended warranty . (trust me you gonna need either) more modern more refined . price 40-mid 60's dep on options and trim level.
Either way you have cabs or coupe carrera 2, 2s, 4 and 4s plus GTS, turbo and Targa 2, 2s and 4 and 4s
4 means all wheel drive, S sport, Targa with glass roof and hatch opening. Etc
I would reccomend 2010-2012 carrera s with PDK , sport chrono plus, full leather and premium package. Coupe or cab.
Targas have a lot of wind noise and squeaking due to glass roof. Plus its 500lb heavier
Old 02-19-2018, 10:47 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

2004 is 996 and 2013 is 991.1 different cars altogather . 996 unrelaible and outdated, 991.1 is great also but cost is up there , probably 60-80k.
If not daily driver you can insure with exotic car insurer for agreed value . probably would run about 800-900 a year or less dep location etc
Old 02-19-2018, 11:23 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 731 Posts

Turbo, you said.

This model used the famous bullet proof Mezger motor through 2009 when it changed to the (IMHO) equally good 9A1 motor. 2010 marked a big improvement (again, IMHO) in the interior.

I don't see any reason to skip over 2009. No matter what, you can't go wrong with a Turbo.

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:07 AM
Helipilot2
4th Gear

Originally Posted by leon yagudayev
Depending on your budget you would have figure out which model and modification you would want:
2005-2008 997.1 - less power, engine prone to issues with IMS bearing and RMS leak, older PCM - infontaiment, non LED lights, 6spd or Tiptronic .most cars , are out of CPO warranty.
Pro: best bang for the buck. Would be 30-40k range
2009-2012 997.2 - more power Especailly S model (385hp). DFI engine bullet proof, upgraded interior, more modern PCM, BT, nav etc.. 6 spd manual or PDK (automated manual, the best in the world ) most cars still have CPO Warranty or can be had with extended warranty . (trust me you gonna need either) more modern more refined . price 40-mid 60's dep on options and trim level.
What is the CPO warranty and why will I need it? Make it sound like these cars break down frequently. Correct me if I am wrong but the the standard Turbo comes with 493hp and the S model has 523. Not really interested in the Carrera due to its lack in power, I would already want to do a tune and exhaust to the Turbo to get it into the 600s as it is. As far as price goes, I have yet to see a 10-12 997.2 Turbo for less than 70k unless its got crazy miles so I am not sure where you got 40-60k, maybe I am looking in the wrong spot.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:23 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 731 Posts

There is a Turbo section that is probably a better place to ask.

Personally, a low mileage infrequently driven car scares me more than a well maintained higher mileage car.

3.5 years ago in my quest I came across several 997.1 Turbos in the mid 60s. Normally Aspirated are in the lower price ranges.

I found a 997.2 C4S that I couldn't pass up, but it would be nice to have the extra power.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:39 AM
Helipilot2
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
There is a Turbo section that is probably a better place to ask.

Personally, a low mileage infrequently driven car scares me more than a well maintained higher mileage car.

3.5 years ago in my quest I came across several 997.1 Turbos in the mid 60s. Normally Aspirated are in the lower price ranges.

I found a 997.2 C4S that I couldn't pass up, but it would be nice to have the extra power.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Awesome I will take a look for that section, thanks for the info!
Old 02-20-2018, 08:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

2005 for a Turbo is also a 996 model - the 997 body style only started in 2005 for the NA models, not the forced induction ones and I'm not even sure there was a 2006 Turbo - most of the ones I see in the 997 generation are 2007 or newer and for looks, interior, etc, you want the 997 generation car.

Also, all Mezger based motors in the 997 generation cars (Turbo and GT2, GT3) have a dangerous coolant pipe issue where the adhesive lets go and sprays slippery coolant all over your rear tires. Make sure that has been addressed in any car you're looking at or negotiate the price down to have that repair performed. Other than that, the Mezger motor in the Turbos is bulletproof.

Quite a range of vehicles you were considering there from a rough and raw no top Cobra, to a brute force Viper, the the razor sharp 997. The 997 is hands down the winner in that group, especially if you and the wife want to use it for some weekend trips. If you haven't driven a turbo yet, you'll love it - pulls like a locomotive for what seems like forever. It won't have the exhaust note of those other cars, but is better in every other way.

Enjoy the hunt and make sure to get a thorough PPI on any car you're considering including a DME printout of overrevs.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:03 AM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Turbo, you said.

This model used the famous bullet proof Mezger motor through 2009 when it changed to the (IMHO) equally good 9A1 motor. 2010 marked a big improvement (again, IMHO) in the interior.

I don't see any reason to skip over 2009. No matter what, you can't go wrong with a Turbo.

Good luck with your search.
All true I was just talking about carrera lineup in general. Didn't see he was looking at turbo only. My bad. As far as turbo concerned they all pretty reliable regardless of the year. Just comes down to trans : tip manual or PDK and price point.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:07 AM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

As far as CPO warranty - no they don't break down often , but when they do its astronomical to fix..
Old 02-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Helipilot2
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Petza914
2005 for a Turbo is also a 996 model - the 997 body style only started in 2005 for the NA models, not the forced induction ones and I'm not even sure there was a 2006 Turbo - most of the ones I see in the 997 generation are 2007 or newer and for looks, interior, etc, you want the 997 generation car.

Also, all Mezger based motors in the 997 generation cars (Turbo and GT2, GT3) have a dangerous coolant pipe issue where the adhesive lets go and sprays slippery coolant all over your rear tires. Make sure that has been addressed in any car you're looking at or negotiate the price down to have that repair performed. Other than that, the Mezger motor in the Turbos is bulletproof.

Enjoy the hunt and make sure to get a thorough PPI on any car you're considering including a DME printout of overrevs.
This was some very helpful info to consider! Was there a TSB for the coolant issue?

Never heard of a DME, didn't even know you could get something that showed the over revs on a vehicle, I am assuming this is more of a sports car thing.

Right now it looks like we are leaning more towards the Turbo S. Seems that finding a manual Turbo .2 is next to impossible. The only 2 I found were 105k+ where as we could get a Turbo S for about 80-95k depending on miles and if it was private sale or dealer. Do these cars handle the 93 octane tune well or is this something I might find to be an issue for longevity? As far as the exhaust note goes, of course I do like that American muscle sound but I have always had a side of me that likes a good import sound (sorry for incorrect terminology there lol) none of that fart can crap. We were looking at exhausts and I like that most seem to have at least 2 options electronically so when we are road tripping we can keep it quiet but when we want to let loose we can do so at the push of a button.

Dumb question incoming, is it pronounced Porsche...or.....Porsche-uh??? lol damn Americans
Old 02-20-2018, 03:16 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Helipilot2
This was some very helpful info to consider! Was there a TSB for the coolant issue?

Never heard of a DME, didn't even know you could get something that showed the over revs on a vehicle, I am assuming this is more of a sports car thing.

Right now it looks like we are leaning more towards the Turbo S. Seems that finding a manual Turbo .2 is next to impossible. The only 2 I found were 105k+ where as we could get a Turbo S for about 80-95k depending on miles and if it was private sale or dealer. Do these cars handle the 93 octane tune well or is this something I might find to be an issue for longevity? As far as the exhaust note goes, of course I do like that American muscle sound but I have always had a side of me that likes a good import sound (sorry for incorrect terminology there lol) none of that fart can crap. We were looking at exhausts and I like that most seem to have at least 2 options electronically so when we are road tripping we can keep it quiet but when we want to let loose we can do so at the push of a button.

Dumb question incoming, is it pronounced Porsche...or.....Porsche-uh??? lol damn Americans
Por-sha is a 2 syllable word.

No Porsche sounds like the import fart can crap. The Turbo just mutes and changes the exhaust note because it's running through the turbo before making it to the exhaust, but there are plenty of aftermarket exhaust options for the turbo cars. The switch able versions from Porsche are their PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) option and other companies call it their valved or valvetronic exhaust - akrapovic, Fabspeed, FVD, Cargraphic, Tubi (sold through Champion), etc.

You need a special scanner (Durametric) or the factory PIWIS system to be able to pull the overrev ranges and report from the DME. There are probably others too like iCarSoft, but not s regular OBD2 scanner.

Quick Reply: New Member Wave