Sponsored by:

First year of 997 ownership by the numbers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 01:46 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Wonder if you'd enjoy a boat? Stand in a cold shower and throw $20 bills down the drain!!!

Tell your wife the 997 was just happy to see her and set off the frunk release accordingly.
Best not to talk about the other woman :-)

Old 02-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Easy one for me...first year (in fact, first 8 years) the car was under warranty (CPO and later, b2b aftermarket). Car has cost me nil except for oil/filters and tires, right up until recently when I had to have the roof and rear quarters resprayed due to clearcoat failure.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:47 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Easy one for me...first year (in fact, first 8 years) the car was under warranty (CPO and later, b2b aftermarket). Car has cost me nil except for oil/filters and tires, right up until recently when I had to have the roof and rear quarters resprayed due to clearcoat failure.
What led to the clear coat failure? I saw a tired looking 997 the other day with the same thing on the rear quarter.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:55 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
What led to the clear coat failure? I saw a tired looking 997 the other day with the same thing on the rear quarter.
9 years of sitting in front of my office every day in the tropical sun I'm afraid. I probably should have invested in a car cover (which I now have). I did use Meguiar's #21 2.0 synthetic UV sealant but probably should have used it more often, like once a month vs once every six. So, I'm admitting to neglect and pilot error here. The clear wasn't peeling, it was just full of micro cracks, but I saw no sense in leaving it to the bitter end. The only places it was really bad was the roof, the top of the hips, and in front of the headlights around the washer nozzles. Oddly the frunk and front fender tops are fine. The top of the mirrors and rear bumperettes are going too, but those I can just remove and take in to the paint shop whenever.

Quick Reply: First year of 997 ownership by the numbers