Sponsored by:

997.2 as my first Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 10:15 PM
GPGolden
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 as my first Porsche?

Not really asking a question here but more just posting my plan to see what, if any, responses I get. I currently have a 2005 Audi S4 (V8/6MT) that I love and constantly tell people I will never get rid of due to the NA V8 and the manual transmission. Maintenance is around $2-4k some years when something breaks, some years it costs me just the mileage specific checkup / oil change which if I use the dealer is $400-650. Also have a 2014 Audi SQ5 for my wife.

My thought process is a well researched 997.2 (not sure which version, Carrera, S or 4S) will be a nice replacement as my daily driver. By that I mean similarly reliable and maybe a bit more for maintenance or if something breaks. Over the last ten years I have put about 7,700 miles per year on the S4. I am leaning towards the 4S with the manual so that I am not wishing for more after giving up the V8/MT/AWD.

I think this is the only car (in my price range) for which I would be ok having a monthly payment again. I have a feeling it will take 6+ months to find the one I want and pull the trigger...
Old 01-29-2018, 10:29 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

six month active search (two years figuring what make (997/996, S vs non vs turbo vs GT3 etc etc) and NO regrets. Simply the best car and best driving car i've ever had or drivin. Wanted a 911 since i was 10, couldn't afford it till i was 49 (three kids through college, built a business, you get the idea). First time i drove it (didn't even test drive it) was from Michigan to CA. It felt like I dreamed. Dam near perfect. Still modding it and love it.....Good luck with search
Old 01-29-2018, 11:00 PM
max540i
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm really not familar w/ the S4, but i went from a BMW E39 540i (v8) 6MT to a 997.2 C4S 6MT. The decision to switch might depend on your daily drive, if it it involves some decent roads / traffic for driving perhaps it'll be worth the switch. My commute permits some spirited driving and my only regret is that i didn't do the switch sooner. If you have a daily drive that doesn't permit spirited driving then maybe its not worth the switch. Since I have a four season commute, I went with the 4S. If you browse the forum I think you'll find that the consensus is that the 4S has a very good reputation for all season driving.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:57 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Do it, do it. Love my 997.2 C2. I do love the wide body C4S too though, but quite a bit more.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:10 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought my 997.1 C4S Powerkit off Rennlist 10 years ago this month. 33,000 miles later it runs and drives great. It never feels old. I drive it every day or every couple of days. I may never sell it. Young boys point their fingers at my car at stoplights, and their hot Moms dig it. The 6MT, normally aspirated, wide body, aero, AWD is a winner.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:16 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 229 Posts

Finding a manual 997.2 will be much harder than a 997.1. They are a rare breed indeed, especially a manual c4s.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:44 AM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Sounds like you did your homework. I've put 20K miles on mine in the last 18 months. Lots of hard long distance driving. No issues aside from normal wear items and occasional stupidity. The interior held up well aside from a broken cup holder. I was in a stop and go traffic jam for 6 hours last summer and working the clutch never got too fatiguing. I assume you ruled out a 991.1 but that would probably be a better DD.

Took me over a year of daily searching for the right one. Color and the right options were important. Set up Porsche's Pre-owned Car Locator to email me new listings. The right one popped up at a Porsche dealer in another state. No test drive. Put down a deposit and got on a plane.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:38 AM
b0rderman
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I got my first Porsche last Thursday, a 997.1 C2S MT. I am thrilled with the car, I only wish I had it when I lived in Denver for so many years. I've been in Florida for almost a year now and still have to remind myself if it isn't straight, it's a track. I was tip toeing around getting a CPO 991.1, but luckily I saw the value in getting a car that causes me no stress of ownership. Leave it out in the rain, no payment, the eventual door ding, can continue to shade tree, etc. Spend the time to find one with meticulous service history, get a good PPI and never look back!

I came from a modified MINI JCW that was shaking my teeth out, the C2S is much more comfortable and surprisingly it is also quieter.

The reputation for build quality is not some myth, this car is one of the most solid machines I have ever been in. I can imagine the 997.2 only improves on that.

Enjoy the search!
Old 01-30-2018, 11:00 AM
GPGolden
Advanced

Thanks for the all the replies. The only reason I was going for the 997.2 was to totally eliminate the potential for IMS issues. Am I giving the IMS issue to much weight?
Old 01-30-2018, 11:02 AM
GPGolden
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hula
Sounds like you did your homework. I've put 20K miles on mine in the last 18 months. Lots of hard long distance driving. No issues aside from normal wear items and occasional stupidity. The interior held up well aside from a broken cup holder. I was in a stop and go traffic jam for 6 hours last summer and working the clutch never got too fatiguing. I assume you ruled out a 991.1 but that would probably be a better DD.

Took me over a year of daily searching for the right one. Color and the right options were important. Set up Porsche's Pre-owned Car Locator to email me new listings. The right one popped up at a Porsche dealer in another state. No test drive. Put down a deposit and got on a plane.
Hula: Can you expand on why 997.1 is a better DD? The only reason I am not considering it is to eliminate potential IMS problems.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:12 AM
b0rderman
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

He said 991.1...not 911.1 which you may have thought you saw...or 997.1 which you may have thought he meant.

This is a fringe benefit of involving yourself in a Porsche community, you get to re-read confusingly similar numbers that correspond to very different things. Maybe one day I will have it all in hand.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:24 AM
mpreston
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a 997.1 two months ago after a couple months of searching. I really wanted a locally owned PCA member's car and luckily found one here on Rennlist. The car was well sorted out with the IMS, RMS and clutch recently done. Along with current maintenance and upgraded suspension, new tires and a bunch of upgrades. All this saved me from having to do anything to get it the way I wanted it to be, I'm loving it so far and I think I found the best car in my price range. Having the IMS/RMS/Clutch done by the PO was one of the main reason I jumped on this car.

The local PCA chapter here in DFW is really active and there seems to be something going on most weekends. Great group of enthusiasts and what a bonus to ownership.

Don't disregard the 997.1 - they're some good ones out there and the IMS Solution is not all that expensive - especially if a clutch is needed.

Good luck with your search.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:39 AM
GPGolden
Advanced

Originally Posted by b0rderman
He said 991.1...not 911.1 which you may have thought you saw...or 997.1 which you may have thought he meant.

This is a fringe benefit of involving yourself in a Porsche community, you get to re-read confusingly similar numbers that correspond to very different things. Maybe one day I will have it all in hand.
b0rder...you are absolutely right. I read 997.1. Thanks...
Old 01-30-2018, 11:41 AM
GPGolden
Advanced

Originally Posted by mpreston
I bought a 997.1 two months ago after a couple months of searching. I really wanted a locally owned PCA member's car and luckily found one here on Rennlist. The car was well sorted out with the IMS, RMS and clutch recently done. Along with current maintenance and upgraded suspension, new tires and a bunch of upgrades. All this saved me from having to do anything to get it the way I wanted it to be, I'm loving it so far and I think I found the best car in my price range. Having the IMS/RMS/Clutch done by the PO was one of the main reason I jumped on this car.

The local PCA chapter here in DFW is really active and there seems to be something going on most weekends. Great group of enthusiasts and what a bonus to ownership.

Don't disregard the 997.1 - they're some good ones out there and the IMS Solution is not all that expensive - especially if a clutch is needed.

Good luck with your search.
Thank you. I did join PCA test drive which makes me a local member in the Delaware PCA. I look forward to meeting and talking to current owners over the next several months.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:46 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my C4S with MT. I think I got a good deal 4 months ago at 53K with 51K miles. With CPO.

Quick Reply: 997.2 as my first Porsche?