Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alpine ILX-107 to Pioneer head unit- M.O.S.T. ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 01:44 PM
Conch911
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alpine ILX-107 to Pioneer head unit- M.O.S.T. ?

My '05 997 cab has an Alpine ILX-107(Apple Car play) head unit, I'm an android guy so I bought a Pioneer head unit at Best Buy and scheduled the install. Two days prior, car audio manager @Best Buy called me and said I would need a MOST adapter, as he thought I was switching from factory stereo. I told him I think car already has a MOST adapter since it has an Alpine.HU. Next he said that this really complicates things and they would not do the install as his particular store wont work on Porsches or other "exotics". I asked if this is corporate policy, he said just his store and I could call others.
Obviously I cancelled the appt., I'm just wondering if there is any truth to his statement of added complexity, and wondering if the Alpine could have been installed with just the Durametric Pro I found in the glove box and without the MOST adapter.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:11 PM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your Alpine currently work, then you can assume you're all set with wiring. Either there's already a MOST/similar unit installed, or someone re-ran the wires to the speakers.

If I were you, I would do it myself. All you are doing is pulling out the current Alpine unit and replacing the Alpine harness with the one that came in the box from Pioneer. Everything else should have already been done for you. It'll take you an hour, max.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:50 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Actually, if you do not have the Bose originally.....you don't need the MOST fiber adapter. if the Alpine is already in it, the you either have the nose-bose and do not have the MOST, or you do have the MOST with the Alpine if it came with Bose. Sounds like a lazy shop to me.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Supplyguy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sort of pleased to read someone else is using, or tried to use Best Buy. The one near me (Virginia/Dulles) has a guy that seems to know as much as the two high end audio stores that want $1800-2200 to replace my factory Bose with a new head unit and bypass Bose. Not meaning to hijack thread - tell me if I need to post elsewhere, but my guy found item below as an alternative (at half the price) to MOST. I can't find a reference to it on the forum. Are there alternatives?

https://www.spiralaudio.com/index.ph...product_id=990
Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 AM
Conch911
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

My speakers are all Bose and look original, so I assume my car was built with the factory Bose system. There is no amp under the passenger seat, which I believe is where the Bose amp was. There is a JL audio amp in the frunk. Why Best Buy? No real car audio shop in Key West and free install promotion at Best Buy.

Last edited by Conch911; 01-24-2018 at 07:10 AM. Reason: More info
Old 01-24-2018, 08:43 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

There is a speciality shop in Tysons near the Porsche and Jaguar place, thats does audio in Porsches and other high end cars.

Go here if you live in the DC area...

http://hurleysautoaudio.com/
Old 04-10-2018, 06:51 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Conch911, the Bose amp was actually in the frunk. If there is a JL audio amp in there now, it most likely means that the previous owner
  1. installed a new head unit
  2. replaced the factory Bose amp with the JL audio amp
  3. ran new audio out wires from the head unit to the JL Audio amp
  4. ripped out the fibre network.
This is the option if you want really good sound quality. It is extremely unlikely that you have a MOST HUR adapter in there now, as that thing translates the analog audio signal coming from the head unit to the digital signal (via fibre) required by the Bose amp. Count yourself lucky, this would be my preferred route given an unlimited budget. It also means that you can easily swap out the head unit for something else, because there are no proprietary interfaces to worry about.

Quick Reply: Alpine ILX-107 to Pioneer head unit- M.O.S.T. ?