Sponsored by:

Antisieze on lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

FYI..... for those who like to swim in minutea.......

Permatex:
https://441py33rout1ptjxn2lupv31-wpe...lish/80078.pdf
Castrol Optimol TA
https://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/am...e/11283036.pdf

Same stuff..... almost. Given the slight differences, full disclosure here... I am willing to take the crazy chance that the variances of ingredients are so small (my opinion), that weighing the difference between a happy functioning Porsche and a fiery crash with multiple explosions, an EPA wetlands disaster, and a slow death... with pain... only to have my last gasping life gnawed out of me by a rabid squirrel with dull teeth.. I will choose the less pleasant side of that choice. I have been using Permatex on my Porsches and wife's Lexus... for 18 years now on the Porsches while doing winter/summer tire swaps each year along with brake work etc.... oh, and I still have the same tiny tube for all those 18 years!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-18-2018, 10:07 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

O/P - First question on your very tight lugs. Who put them on last? You or the shop.
Shops are in a hurry. Often they take the off with the airgun on #4, and don't dial them back, and install on the #4 setting.
Most of the time, they never use a torque wrench.
Second question - What lugs are on your car, Porsche standard? Or spacer and aftermarket? Are they full steel lug? They often rust more.
I used to have to clean mine. In the cordless impact, spinning through a wire brush. Keep them clean.
Third observation- I too have a impact gun, cordless 5+ years old, not new, well loved. I have never been able to use it to break the nut or lug.
Just not enough juice. Maybe it's time for 24V !
Anti seize? For me, only at the hub where the two metals meet. Steel and aluminum,rust or corrode.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:34 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
For the 997 the torque spec is 96 ft lbs. It does not go up to 118 ft lbs till the 991 series, mainly do to the larger 20" wheels.
From the service manual (2012 version)...
Silver wheel bolts (up to model year 2011) = 96 ftlb. or 118 ftlb. also permitted retroactively.
Silver wheel bolts (as of model year 2012) = 118 ftlb.)
Black wheel bolts = 118 ftlb.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:20 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I dont put any materials on lugs, it tends to attract dirt and dust and get caked up. if you have clean threads and put your lugs no right, 96-100 lbs, you wont have trouble. Thats another reason I only use chrome lugs, they dont get rusty and stay clean and dont look dirty
Old 01-18-2018, 12:03 PM
JWYR
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always used the copper base anti-seize on the lugnut threads. I just add a very small amount on the leading treads. I have never had an issue with dust or dirt. I statred this on my off road vehicles and now just do it as a standard. I do avoid it on spacers that have their own bolts.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:04 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

I've never had a problem removing properly torqued lugs. I don't use an impact anywhere near my wheels, a small breaker bar designed for wheel and tire removal is all I've ever needed.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:47 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 121K

I put a tiny dab on the leading threads of each bolt. One tiny dab will last you 5-10 removals. My Porter Cable impact gun works great!!! See my vid below.

My Porsche owners manual specifies the use of anti-seize..... the permatex silver stuff in the little tube is fine... it is primarily aluminum grease.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

https://youtu.be/O9h5QlcAxWY
oh look. actual facts and source documentation.
keep it coming, bruce.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:22 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

I use Marine Grade anti-seize on my lug bolts and torque to 110 ft. lbs. - happy medium between the old 96 ft. lbs. spec and newer 118 ft. lbs. spec. It was my understanding that the change to 118 ft.lbs. was released for the 991 but retroactive. Loren from Renntech confirms this is the case as an option

I also believe torque specs are based on achieving the proper fastener stretch - lubrication reduces the friction on the fastener so that the proper material stretch can occur. Without it, the frictional forces will allow you to achieve the torque rating sooner, before the stretch is achieved. For those of you installing your lug nuts or bolts dry, I would suggest at least moving up to the optional 118 ft.lb. value and maybe dry installation is the reason Porsche revised the spec, but I have no idea.

Since I've never had an issue with lug bolts loosening and don't have any trouble removing them with my method, that's what I'll continue to do. As Bruce said, you don't have to apply it each time, just the first time and then it pretty much remains in place for many wheel removal and reinstallation cycles.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:40 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Bruce, the difference between products listed as an anti-seize and those listed as an assembly paste, is anti seize will have an extreme pressure lubricant. The Permatex has a heavy naphthenic-chemDplus. The Optimal TA utilizes kaolinite a refined clay silicate mineral.

My dad repaired vintage cars and he would curse wheel lug bolt/studs that were stretched and fatigued by heavy use of anti-seize. The characteristics of anti-seize will help a nut/bolt screw in an extra turn or two for any given torque wrench setting. In some engineering lists two torque settings are given one for use with anti seize and one for dry or lightly lubed.

Modern cars use vastly improved metallurgy over their antique ancestors, so I’m sure a
fine craftsman like you (using a practiced hand on the wrench) will be fine.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:41 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
O/P - First question on your very tight lugs. Who put them on last? You or the shop.
Shops are in a hurry. Often they take the off with the airgun on #4, and don't dial them back, and install on the #4 setting.
Most of the time, they never use a torque wrench.
Second question - What lugs are on your car, Porsche standard? Or spacer and aftermarket? Are they full steel lug? They often rust more.
I used to have to clean mine. In the cordless impact, spinning through a wire brush. Keep them clean.
Third observation- I too have a impact gun, cordless 5+ years old, not new, well loved. I have never been able to use it to break the nut or lug.
Just not enough juice. Maybe it's time for 24V !
Anti seize? For me, only at the hub where the two metals meet. Steel and aluminum,rust or corrode.
The car is new to me so I don't know who the last wheel removal was with. Standard lugs as far as I can tell. Factory 5 mm spacers.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:48 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about those titanium lugs from World-Motosport? Do they get Optimal TA? I'm thinking of getting a set.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:58 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
How about those titanium lugs from World-Motosport? Do they get Optimal TA? I'm thinking of getting a set.
I lubricate those on my cars - both 997s and Cayenne have them.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:26 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
Bruce, the difference between products listed as an anti-seize and those listed as an assembly paste, is anti seize will have an extreme pressure lubricant. The Permatex has a heavy naphthenic-chemDplus. The Optimal TA utilizes kaolinite a refined clay silicate mineral.

My dad repaired vintage cars and he would curse wheel lug bolt/studs that were stretched and fatigued by heavy use of anti-seize. The characteristics of anti-seize will help a nut/bolt screw in an extra turn or two for any given torque wrench setting. In some engineering lists two torque settings are given one for use with anti seize and one for dry or lightly lubed.

Modern cars use vastly improved metallurgy over their antique ancestors, so I’m sure a
fine craftsman like you (using a practiced hand on the wrench) will be fine.
I didn't mean to disparage your comment... I looked back on my post it may appear I am poking at you. What I really wanted to say, with humor, is that I do my research to a point and then stop. I fully suspect the Porsche-recommended stuff is "better" but I always question how much better or how much worse is an alternative. My perspective is that for some things, I will "drop a notch" and be OK with it. Long time ago, I asked the shop foreman at the P-dealer where I purchased my Boxster about anti-sieze and he said the Permatex stuff is fine. Is he an authority? I dunno..... Many of these senior Porsche techs disagree.... is my expert better than your expert? Again, I research to a point of comfort and then stop.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-18-2018, 04:26 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

^^ Another reason I dont use lubricants, changes the measured torque value ( so 118 may be 125+++ etc )
Old 01-19-2018, 02:39 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

As i mentioned before - dry threads create unreliable frictiona and all toque values when designing a bolt/crew connectionare based on lubricated threads. When too much friction is used the main part of the torque is used to overcome friction and not in reality to load the jount with pressure.

See below from http://www.nord-lock.com/bolted/expe...ing-fasteners/

Q: What happens to preload in the joint during reuse?

A: It is common in many applications to reuse the same nuts and bolts as long as they are in good condition after operation. What happens to the joint preload during reuse is, however, not always considered.

During tightening, metal faces between male and female threads, as well as between the bolt head/nut and substrate, grind against each other causing wear to occur. The result is higher and more scattered friction.

Friction scatter is inherent in every bolted joint upon each installation and can be quite large when installing without any lubrication. When fasteners are reused and tightened to a specific torque, more of the applied torque is required to overcome the friction and less is utilised to obtain the required preload. For each subsequent reuse the preload becomes lower and more inaccurate. This can cause issues when the designer has specified a preload range for the application to maintain sufficient clamp force to overcome the external forces on those joints. Finally, the preload may not be sufficient to withstand the working load applied to the joint, which subsequently fails.

By lubricating the fastener before every use, not only can friction be reduced to improve torque-to-load ratio, friction scatter can also be reduced to improve preload accuracy. The graph here illustrates the torque-to-load behaviour between a dry installation and a lubricated installation. While the preload scatter at a given torque is quite random, you can influence the variability of that scatter by this simple modification.

The prescriptions of the manufacturer regarding lubrication have priority and must be followed. It may be necessary to reduce the torque to avoid damage to the bolt or the clamped parts.

Quick Reply: Antisieze on lug nuts