Old 01-14-2018, 01:39 AM
SoCal997_Carrera
New User

Default wheel sticking out with wheel spacers

wheel is sticking out more on the passenger side with wheel spacer
Old 01-14-2018, 01:43 AM
Presto
User

when did you last get an alignment? the camber/toe could be off on that side. Also helpful if you post your model of 997, what wheels you have, oem suspension or modified etc etc. More details help us help you.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:24 AM
SoCal997_Carrera
New User

Its a 2006 Carrera 4 (997.1) Coupe with Tiptronic and has the wide body rear. According to the records it had an alignment about 1 year (10'k) miles ago.
I just got the Porsche 2 months ago and installed 7mm spacer in the front and 15mm in the rear today. I noticed quite a difference how the wheels fill the fender in the rear.
The front is perfect.
Thanks
Old 01-14-2018, 10:49 AM
Petza914
Addict
Rennlist Member

997 chassis and bodies aren't as symmetrical as you'd like them to be. Both of mine have the same characteristics as yours where the wheels on the passenger side are out further than the driver's side. I just optimized the fitment on the passenger side and leave the driver's side slightly more inset. This is actually more common than you'd think. Look around at the next Porsche event you attend.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:24 PM
semicycler
User

Look at the offset number stamped next to the valve stem on both rear wheels. They should match. My rears were mixed NB/WB when I bought the car presumably because a prior owner replaced one of the rears with the wrong type. So one corner was poking out more than the other.

Also check the rear tire brands, models, and sizes all match. PS2's and MPSS's have different side profiles. Same thing for sizing - 295's vs 305's on the same width wheel can look rounded or more square from the side.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:33 PM
okbarnett
User

yes, make sure the wheel and spacer and tire are all same sizes, otherwise you could check alignment and also take into consideration all things are not perfect. Height, is not. Maybe the car was in a wreck and the fenders are out of shape. Theres many factors
Old 01-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Steve 911
Addict
Rennlist Member

My driver side wheel seems to come out further than the passenger, odd that yours is the exact opposite.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:52 PM
Doug H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Destin, Nashville, In a 430 Challenge at location near you

Originally Posted by Petza914 View Post
997 chassis and bodies aren't as symmetrical as you'd like them to be. Both of mine have the same characteristics as yours where the wheels on the passenger side are out further than the driver's side. I just optimized the fitment on the passenger side and leave the driver's side slightly more inset. This is actually more common than you'd think. Look around at the next Porsche event you attend.
Originally Posted by Steve 911 View Post
My driver side wheel seems to come out further than the passenger, odd that yours is the exact opposite.
Lol, I don't know about any of these asymmetrical stuff, but I have never noticed that on any of my 911s. Perhaps I wasn't looking, but could it be a slight difference in camber on each side. Could happen as shocks and springs get older. The 997.2 we just sold appeared even on both sides.

Search this Thread