Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   First Time 911 Owner! 2008 Carrera from CarMax (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1043116-first-time-911-owner-2008-carrera-from-carmax.html)

Supplyguy 01-13-2018 06:40 PM

First Time 911 Owner! 2008 Carrera from CarMax

Last night I brought home my starter Porsche, a 2008 Carrera automatic (my commuter car) from CarMax. I blog about unusual CarMax finds (see it here - https://thecarmaxunicornblog.com/201...econd-unicorn/ ) and saw this one on the web in Los Angeles. Flew out, drove it, and had it transferred to Virginia. Only 34,000 miles, ridiculously clean, and reasonable at $34,988. All about the warranty and no unexpected repair bills, so I bought that too. Had tremendous pay back when I did that for my S55. Of course, I don't trust CarMax and had the car independently inspected this morning and it failed - inner tie rods. It will be fixed for free. Not sure if that explains the groaning and bumping I hear at full wheel lock in reverse, but that will be addresses also. Will swap out the audio next week - the car was advertised as having nav and bluetooth - it has neither so they dropped the price $2,000. I have only driven the car an hour so far and absolutely love it. Again, it's my starter 911 - if I love it I'll upgrade in two years. Hate it I'll sell without losing much. Will be here from time to time asking for advice (I already have twice and you all have been wonderful). Many thanks - Chuck.https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...110a2a02fb.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e7c09e5e66.jpg

MkC2S 01-13-2018 07:04 PM

nice ride & congrats

ilikeyourmom 01-13-2018 07:19 PM

Very cool! GL on this one. I just bookmarked your blog..will check it out. Smart move on the warranty. I purchased on with my C2S....it's almost paid for itself.

North Shore 911 01-13-2018 07:42 PM

Congrats on your new ride. Now prepare yourself for an onslaught of recommendations from this crew for all of the “required” mods, starting with throwing a set of clear side markers on that bad boy :). Then on to the good stuff, like some carbon fiber interior bling and some exhaust mods to wake up your 997. And I like your Turbo wheel set - I’ve got a set of those set up with Pirelli Sotozero’s as my winter wheel set here in Chicagoland.

Enjoy this awesome machine as your DD, and make sure to leave early enough to open it up on the highway to/from work without too much traffic!

street rod 01-13-2018 09:32 PM

Sounds like a good deal and smart move on the warranty. I have some friends who say the Carmax warranty is actually pretty good.

bhvrdr 01-13-2018 09:49 PM

Congratulations on the purchase man.

the 911 is a saved search that I do daily on CarMax so I feel you.

I just bought an Audi from them and ended up only doing their free 30-day warranty because I don't mind working on the car myself but the story is almost unbelievable. I've already had the car in for a complete replacement turbo charger which it was about 3 Grand quoted from the Audi dealership and now it is there right now having a complete engine replacement which for a used and warrantied one runs around five grand All In. CarMax is covering everything and has provided me with a loaner car.

mike

996AE 01-13-2018 09:58 PM

Great car great price.

I promised my wife no mods on my driver. Third P car in the stable.

Well, I lied. Had to, just had to replace the amber lamps with Euro clears. And what enthusiast can resist the Fister D sounds. Then there was the wheel spacers all around that are mandatory on a Base 997.1

I promised that was the last one. Really.

kevinthickey 01-13-2018 10:53 PM

Nice ride - congrats!

sandwedge 01-14-2018 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by 996AE (Post 14729482)
Great car great price.

I promised my wife no mods on my driver. Third P car in the stable.

Well, I lied. Had to, just had to replace the amber lamps with Euro clears. And what enthusiast can resist the Fister D sounds. Then there was the wheel spacers all around that are mandatory on a Base 997.1

I promised that was the last one. Really.

I would add lowering springs or coilovers as mandatory on a base 997. That wheel gap from the factory looks like at least 3".....maybe approaching 4". Just horrific. A lot of economy, family sedans come with a more aggressive stance than that.

WhipE350 01-14-2018 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Supplyguy (Post 14729190)
Not sure if that explains the groaning and bumping I hear at full wheel lock in reverse, but that will be addresses also.

Welcome aboard! Nice find.

Regarding the full wheel lock. Several models of Porsches bump at full wheel lock going forward, I would think in reverse too. This is normal due to steering geometry. All my four Boxsters and my 911 have when I pull out of my garage and have to crank the steering to lock position to clear the house. You'll probably find several explanations on a google search why...or ask Petza it might be the Ackerman effect.

Petza914 01-14-2018 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by WhipE350 (Post 14729787)
Welcome aboard! Nice find.

Regarding the full wheel lock. Several models of Porsches bump at full wheel lock going forward, I would think in reverse too. This is normal due to steering geometry. All my four Boxsters and my 911 have when I pull out of my garage and have to crank the steering to lock position to clear the house. You'll probably find several explanations on a google search why...or ask Petza it might be the Ackerman effect.

Cold weather (Virginia in winter), full wheel lock, and reverse is the textbook scenario to demonstrate the Ackerman effect which results in a popping, clunking, or hopping. Every 997 will do this if the right situation is duplicated and it will scare the crap out of you when it first happens like something just broke.

mjsporsche 01-14-2018 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Petza914 (Post 14729985)
Cold weather (Virginia in winter), full wheel lock, and reverse is the textbook scenario to demonstrate the Ackerman effect which results in a popping, clunking, or hopping. Every 997 will do this if the right situation is duplicated and it will scare the crap out of you when it first happens like something just broke.

Pete....you solved the concern I had when I helped a friend test drive a 2014 991.1 Turbo in 15 degree weather. car was hopping and popping at full (or close to full) wheel lock. Now to use it as an advantage when negotiating with the BMW dealer that has had that car for 3 months on its lot. :)

Petza914 01-14-2018 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mjsporsche (Post 14730033)
Pete....you solved the concern I had when I helped a friend test drive a 2014 991.1 Turbo in 15 degree weather. car was hopping and popping at full (or close to full) wheel lock. Now to use it as an advantage when negotiating with the BMW dealer that has had that car for 3 months on its lot. :)

:cool:

j_leder 01-14-2018 04:21 PM

Good Luck with the car...Enjoy!!

Austin997.2 01-17-2018 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Supplyguy
Last night I brought home my starter Porsche, a 2008 Carrera automatic (my commuter car) from CarMax. I blog about unusual CarMax finds (see it here - https://thecarmaxunicornblog.com/201...econd-unicorn/ ) and saw this one on the web in Los Angeles. Flew out, drove it, and had it transferred to Virginia. Only 34,000 miles, ridiculously clean, and reasonable at $34,988. All about the warranty and no unexpected repair bills, so I bought that too. Had tremendous pay back when I did that for my S55. Of course, I don't trust CarMax and had the car independently inspected this morning and it failed - inner tie rods. It will be fixed for free. Not sure if that explains the groaning and bumping I hear at full wheel lock in reverse, but that will be addresses also. Will swap out the audio next week - the car was advertised as having nav and bluetooth - it has neither so they dropped the price $2,000. I have only driven the car an hour so far and absolutely love it. Again, it's my starter 911 - if I love it I'll upgrade in two years. Hate it I'll sell without losing much. Will be here from time to time asking for advice (I already have twice and you all have been wonderful). Many thanks - Chuck.https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...110a2a02fb.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e7c09e5e66.jpg

I have a Carmax 911 as well. What warranty did you get? Last time I called they had changed their protocols regarding how they service Porsche's, not sure if this is company wide.

Three years they said I could bring it directly to Carmax for $0 deductible, long story but now they say to bring it directly to Porsche and I'd have to pay the $100 deductible. I called the manager at Carmax and they said if I bring it to Porsche they would pay the deductible for me. It's gotten confusing, I bought my car 3 years ago from them.