Advice on newly acquired 997 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 03:40 AM
AfroThunder
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice on newly acquired 997 C2S

Hi All,

I have a bone stock Speed Yellow 997 C2S I'd like to get some more grunt out of. I was on the fence about selling this and buying a 997.1 or 997.2 GT3, but for sentimental reasons, I've decided to keep the Speed Yellow, and mildly modify it so it's no longer stock. Below, I've listed the parts/prices for the upgrades I feel are most suitable for my needs - but since I've never upgraded a base 997 (I've had a Sharkwerks RS350 987 S and a TPC Stage 2 987 S and am familiar with noticeable/minimal power gains), I'd truly appreciate if anyone could point me into the right direction if some of the parts are not preferred.

- Fabspeed Maxflo Performance Exhaust - kind of on the pricey side, but I've heard nothing but good reviews, Fabspeed claims +12 horsepower and +12 ft/lbs. of torque
- 997 Carbon Fiber Competition Air Intake System w/ 82mm GT3 throttle body adapter (also Fabspeed) - Fabspeed claims +19 horsepower and +21 ft/lbs. torque
- IPD Competition Plenum (GT3 throttle body, IPD plenum, and hoses) - Claimed +28 horsepower

Any suggestions for an alternative exhaust that delivers the same gains as the Fabspeed system for a little less money?

I guess what I'm asking is that are these components really worth the money for some extra grunt?

Lastly, I'm very much on the fence about suspension components. The car has PASM, and I'd like to go for a minimal and bearable drop, without sacrificing drive quality. My initial thought was springs...would that entail swapping out the shocks for upgraded ones as well?

Any and all input/advice would be highly appreciated!
Old 01-10-2018, 07:51 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

For best power gains you need to get rid of the cats. Headers with cat bypass pipes.

ipd and intake do add some power but IMO not worth the big price.

Personally i would not do lowering springs with oem shocks as the shocks and springs are not matched for each other. You can look at the bilstein b12 kit which has bilstein shocks with eibach springs. Another option is coilovers, something like bc racing is available for $1000 or so. More united as you can fine tune the suspension to your preference.

For. Enter stopping power you can do gt3 calipers and turbo bigger rotors.lightweight wheels and sticky rubber like the Michelin cup 2 or pilot super sport will help handling further.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:44 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

I have the Maxflos on my 2008 C2S and the sound is nice but the performance gains are not noticeable. Frankly, the Fabspeed claimed increase in HP and Torque for most of their products are suspect. They do make good sound. If you want sound, and realistically not much power gain for a better price, think about the Fister muffler upgrade or the Gundo Hack.

I see you live in NJ. Why not talk to PowerTech (MIke Daino) or Bodymotion and get their opinions. They are both Fabspeed dealers. If you want more power that is clearly noticeable, get the GT3 or a Turbo.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,159 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Significant power gains will only be achieved with forced induction, but for what this will cost you, best bet is to sell the current car and use the upgrade money toward the price difference.

The mods you mention will result in some positive gains, improve the throttle response, improve the sound, and show most of the benefits at higher RPM where the increase in intake and exhaust flow matter most.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:16 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

With HFC, intake, IPD plenum, TB, tune, headers....and a bit more....you are still not going to get very big gains. It will sound better and have a better throttle response....but that's it. I think a nice set or forged wheels is a better choice as your lower unsprung weight and rotational mass....better handling and steering, and a bit quicker acceleration. Or save up and get a GTS or Turbo.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:10 AM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AfroThunder
Hi All,

I have a bone stock Speed Yellow 997 C2S I'd like to get some more grunt out of. I was on the fence about selling this and buying a 997.1 or 997.2 GT3, but for sentimental reasons, I've decided to keep the Speed Yellow, and mildly modify it so it's no longer stock. Below, I've listed the parts/prices for the upgrades I feel are most suitable for my needs - but since I've never upgraded a base 997 (I've had a Sharkwerks RS350 987 S and a TPC Stage 2 987 S and am familiar with noticeable/minimal power gains), I'd truly appreciate if anyone could point me into the right direction if some of the parts are not preferred.

- Fabspeed Maxflo Performance Exhaust - kind of on the pricey side, but I've heard nothing but good reviews, Fabspeed claims +12 horsepower and +12 ft/lbs. of torque
- 997 Carbon Fiber Competition Air Intake System w/ 82mm GT3 throttle body adapter (also Fabspeed) - Fabspeed claims +19 horsepower and +21 ft/lbs. torque
- IPD Competition Plenum (GT3 throttle body, IPD plenum, and hoses) - Claimed +28 horsepower

Any suggestions for an alternative exhaust that delivers the same gains as the Fabspeed system for a little less money?

I guess what I'm asking is that are these components really worth the money for some extra grunt?

Lastly, I'm very much on the fence about suspension components. The car has PASM, and I'd like to go for a minimal and bearable drop, without sacrificing drive quality. My initial thought was springs...would that entail swapping out the shocks for upgraded ones as well?

Any and all input/advice would be highly appreciated!
I would defer to others comments and really should be your personal preferences. Not sure base on your post whether it's a 997.1, or 997.2. Some mods would be handled differently between a 997.1, or .2 C2S. Especially with respect to an air intake. From others I know with 997.1’s, an intake upgrade works best for them, but not much benefit as an upgrade to a 997.2 box.

I purchased back in the middle of 2015 a used 2011 997.2 C2S with Sports Chrono and PDK. It's the same color as yours -- A Speed Yellow version, and came with OEM black painted Carrera S II, 19 inch wheels.

Others on this board will have their own similar upgrades, but used other manufacturers/product. I purchased the car with 12,000 miles and now have 31,000 miles on it. Could not be happier with my set up and great DD driver. It added the grunt I was looking for, improved handling, and with a little bit more performance I can feel. There are some quality web sites with recommendations and from members of this forum. I personally found Sharkwerk’s web site providing some good references on types of mods.

There is a point of spending so much, where it is better off selling and moving to a used GT3. I use my car all year round, and drive in the winter months. Live in the Northeast and use a 18 inch rim with snow tires during the winter. The winter set up I chose works great for me and I like the look with the stock Carrera IV 997.2 18 inch rims. I just swap out rims/snow tires during the winter.

I am not suggesting you have to follow all, and whether any of the below are worth the spend. But just posting the below as upgrades that all came together nicely for me. I also saved the stock parts. i.e. - if in the future I would like to reverse what I did and sell, I've experienced buyers of used 911's leaning towards purchasing an all stock car and actually paying less for a modified car. Though can honestly say the below are upgrades that improved the car to my taste, can be easily reversed, and has the right balance as a daily driver.

Items replaced and OEM parts removed and several of the OEM parts being stored for possible restoration to stock:

-- OEM Center muffler and replaced with sharkwerks x-pipes. OEM center muffler was stored.
-- OEM motor mounts and replace with RSS semi-solid motor mounts. OEM motor mounts stored.
-- Installed the Porsche OEM Sport Exhaust (PSE system). OEM stock muffler was not stored
-- OEM front and rear sway bars -- replaced with H&R sway bars. OEM front and rear sway bars stored
-- OEM rear toe-steer parts (quantity are 2) and replaced with RSS toe-steer kit and locking plates. OEM parts stored
-- OEM rear links (quantity are 4) and replaced with RSS rear links. OEM parts stored
-- OEM springs front and back (quantity are 4)- replaced with Techart spring kit. OEM springs stored
-- OEM silver Carrera S emblem, replaced with an OEM carrera S emblem in black
-- Ceramic coated OEM PSE exhaust tips to matte black.
-- OEM plenum intake distributor replaced with performance IPD Plenum. OEM plenum stored.
-- EVOMSit ECU tuning software to take advantage of sharkwerks x-pipe and IPD plenum - rated from stock 385HP/310TQ to 417HP/334TQ. Published increase of 32HP/24TQ
-- Also purchased EVOMSit TUNEit Gen 2 download and install tool - stores the stock software setup and EVOMSit tune. Can be used to reset to stock. Software also installed on home computer and tuning files stored and synced with EVOMSit server.
-- Purchased and installed Rennline Black aluminum dead pedal, brake, and gas pedals
-- Purchased and installed Zunsport front center bumper grill - black. As debris radiator protection
-- Purchased and installed Rennline side bumper wire Mesh Grill kit - Black. As debris radiator protection
-- Installed paint protection film on the entire front of car and side rocker panels.
-- Purchased 4 used 18 inch staggered rims for winter tire set up ( Carrera IV OEM wheels). Sent out to professionally powder coat rims to Matte black to match OEM black rim summer set up.
-- Installed ECS tuning wheel spacers and properly sized longer black lugs. 8mm front and 15mm rear.
-- OEM PASM shock suspension module replaced with DSC module from TPC racing. Plug and play design to work with Porsche Sports Chrono. The OEM PASM controller box stored.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

2009 C2S 125K miles MT

I did the Sharkwerks X pipe for a bit more sound and am happy with it. They have dyno results that show IIRC 18 HP gain. I can;t feel it at all. Moral: if you want to feel it, you better swing for the fence.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

OP's signature says 2005 C2S. A 997.1 = No sharkwerks for you!

Maybe the best mod is a LN Engineering IMS retrofit upgrade.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:07 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Those alleged power gains by Fabspeed are a joke.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

No replacement for displacement.
The following users liked this post:
dmfran1943 (04-02-2020)
Old 01-10-2018, 01:50 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned a 2009 C2S since 2012 and have often pondered the same question. I did install a Sharkwerks muffler bypass and am happy with the improved exhaust note. I have also looked into several of the options you are considering. I have had discussions with my Indy at Freed Performance as well as posted the same question on the Porsche Club of America technical forum. Each time I ask I get the same answer. Porsche engineered these cars to a high performance spec and the best option is to trade up to a GTS, GT3 or Turbo model 911.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:56 PM
boatrace
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2011-sy-carreras, your mod list looks very similar to what I would like to do. Do you have a picture of your front bumper with the Zun Sport and Rennline grill covers? I have the Rennline grills and looking for a solution for the center.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:20 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
Those alleged power gains by Fabspeed are a joke.
No s**t. If they were to be believed, their $900 intake would add about the same amount of HP as the factory X51 package from Porsche for next to $14,000. To the OP's question, I had Tubi exhaust on my -06 C4S and it was amazing. Best after market exhaust for the .1 997 IMO. Also lowered it with H&R springs. Noticed no difference in ride quality and had no suspension issues with over 40,000 miles in that configuration. Picture attached of that car after it was lowered.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:57 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Wife had Eibach on her 997.2 cab and the car rode and handled better than stock. Decent drop, but a super comfy ride and no issues scrapping anywhere. Nice and cheap solution for that horrid factory wheel gap.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:50 AM
robgts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best "seat of the pants" gains you can make involve adding coil over suspension and new suspension control arms. Remove rubber bushings. Remove weight from the car. Cup cars are only 50hp more that your car but are quite a bit faster...

Quick Reply: Advice on newly acquired 997 C2S