Advice on newly acquired 997 C2S - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on newly acquired 997 C2S

Old 01-13-2018, 02:52 PM
DC911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree but most people do not like the ride feel of monoball mounts with solid bushings. Plus they can squeak and make noise. Wives and GFs especially.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:14 PM
Redhot2474
User

Originally Posted by AfroThunder View Post
Hi All,

I have a bone stock Speed Yellow 997 C2S I'd like to get some more grunt out of. I was on the fence about selling this and buying a 997.1 or 997.2 GT3, but for sentimental reasons, I've decided to keep the Speed Yellow, and mildly modify it so it's no longer stock. Below, I've listed the parts/prices for the upgrades I feel are most suitable for my needs - but since I've never upgraded a base 997 (I've had a Sharkwerks RS350 987 S and a TPC Stage 2 987 S and am familiar with noticeable/minimal power gains), I'd truly appreciate if anyone could point me into the right direction if some of the parts are not preferred.

- Fabspeed Maxflo Performance Exhaust - kind of on the pricey side, but I've heard nothing but good reviews, Fabspeed claims +12 horsepower and +12 ft/lbs. of torque
- 997 Carbon Fiber Competition Air Intake System w/ 82mm GT3 throttle body adapter (also Fabspeed) - Fabspeed claims +19 horsepower and +21 ft/lbs. torque
- IPD Competition Plenum (GT3 throttle body, IPD plenum, and hoses) - Claimed +28 horsepower

Any suggestions for an alternative exhaust that delivers the same gains as the Fabspeed system for a little less money?

I guess what I'm asking is that are these components really worth the money for some extra grunt?

Lastly, I'm very much on the fence about suspension components. The car has PASM, and I'd like to go for a minimal and bearable drop, without sacrificing drive quality. My initial thought was springs...would that entail swapping out the shocks for upgraded ones as well?

Any and all input/advice would be highly appreciated!
Very pricey to do all those mods, put $ towards a faster 911 if that’s what you’re after
Old 01-13-2018, 06:12 PM
vern1
Super User

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
No replacement for displacement.
Ha ha so true

Bore it out or put on a supercharger or buy a gt3 or turbo
Old 01-13-2018, 06:49 PM
2011-sy-carreras
User

Originally Posted by boatrace View Post
2011-sy-carreras, your mod list looks very similar to what I would like to do. Do you have a picture of your front bumper with the Zun Sport and Rennline grill covers? I have the Rennline grills and looking for a solution for the center.
since the grills are black, hard to see the details. The center is zun sport and installed without removal of the bumper. The side are rennline and installed behind the OEM grills. The zun sport grill is a solid piece and well made. It protects the center radiator from dings and debris especially during the fall from leaves, etc. Hope the attached picture helps visualize. Best picture I have. I personally liked The clean look and fit.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:49 PM
boatrace
User

That looks great, thanks for the feedback, will be ordering.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:20 PM
Dom991.1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Disclaimer: I do not have a 997, but I have thought about adding one to our two Porsche garage so I check out this forum periodically. I recently went through a similar mission (to improve HP/TQ on a car I wanted to stay with). Decided to dyno the 'before' and 'after'. I didn't care so much about the numbers but about the DELTA. I used same dyno/time of day/tank of gas/temp/humidity/barometric pressure (last three were close but not always EXACT, to be fair). Anyway, as close to scientific as I, a mere mortal, was going to get. I did a total of 9 dyno runs, various combinations - and I tried to give time/miles between changes for the car to 'acclimatize' but not enough that the weather (temp, humidity, baro pressure) would change substantially. It was about the course of three weeks. Again, I'm sure people can find fault with how I came about my results but I only did this for my own edification, not to endorse/defame any particular vendor/solution. So, with that being said, MY best results came with long tube "sport cat headers" (200 cell, I did NOT want to go cat-less), and a stage 1 OTS conservative tune. I'm sure there are some that say I could have done better with a custom tune but I was happy (and comfortable) with what I got: a 'peak' improvement of 7% (max of about 10%) but, more importantly, improvement ACROSS the entire RPM band and a smoother delivery of that power. Your mileage may vary but I posted this only as one person's trip down this road. There were several times during this trial that my 'butt dyno' said one thing but the stats said something else, so I used that to decide what I was going to keep. The 997 may be a platform that responds more to changes, I simply advise having a metric for measure outside of the butt dyno...😁 Good luck and enjoy the journey! -Dom

Last edited by Dom991.1; 01-15-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on newly acquired 997 C2S

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: