Sponsored by:

Disable PSE but keep throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 11:31 PM
bisel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
The flaps for the PSE are controlled by vacuum supplied by an electric vacuum actuator in the engine compartment and connected to your sport button. Unfortunately, the default position is sport mode and the exhaust flaps are moved to the quiet setting when vacuum is supplied, not the other way around, which is how many people achieve sport mode all the time just by disconnecting the electrical plug from the vacuum actuator. In your case though, you're trying to do the opposite.

I can think of 2 ways to achieve this.

1. You can buy an add-on remote vacuum system, controlled by a switch or fob remote. This one is probably what you're looking for as it will remember the always closed position you're looking for.
http://www.forzacomponenti.com/exhau...troller_d.html
There may be other similar systems out there too. I actually tested this For a one for the developer and the only issue I revealed to him was the range of the remote to the control box, but that shouldn't matter in your case as you can go to the back of the car, select the mode you want, and it will remember it. The installation DIY I did for him is attached.
2. You could buy a set of non PSE mufflers a day swap them with yours. Used stock mufflers are pretty cheap as most people want more sound, not less so I'd bet for a couple hundred dollars you could pick up a pair here. I'd keep your PSE ones in case you decide to sell the car as that's a desirable feature. You can reuse your PSE tips on a non PSE muffler, hooking up the pipe to only one of the 2 outlets, but it looks a little funny and I'd probably find a non PSE tip to install with the standard mufflers, like NHP stainless ones from www.maxspeed-motorsports,compared - excellent build quality and about half the price of the more well known ones. I have them on my Cayenne Turbo S.
Check out this page - https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com...nd_Parts_.html

Looks like they also sell a remote exhaust controller kit and a pushbutton option you could wire directly to your vacuum solenoid for full manual control. That's probably a more involved install since you need to get wiring from the drivers seat back into the engine bay, but us the least expensive solution from a parts perspective.

I am not affiliated with Forza or Max speed. Good luck.
I want to thank Petza914 for his assistance testing the exhaust controller. I have not provided many controllers for Porsche's as the PSE button accomplishes what most people want. The only function the Forza controller provides is to manage the bypass valves independently of the PSE. Also, in Petza914's document, he mentions that he had to change the electrical polarity. Forza Exhaust Controllers for Porsche are now set correctly at time of assembly. Petza914 did a great service explaining in a table the valve positions for different combination of PSE and exhaust controller settings. Thank you for that info.

I thought I would give you all some info that I have gained over the last four years making these things ...
  • On the Corvette, Camaro and Aston Martin cars, you can control the valves by disconnecting a fuse in the fuse block. Most other cars do not have a dedicated circuit for the exhaust valves so, this is not always feasible to do.
  • If the car does not have dedicated, fused circuit, then power for the controller must be obtained by other means. If you are in the market for a controller, you want one that is plug and play and does not require wiring mods or splicing into circuits. Doing so may cause problems and could jeopardize the resale value of the car.
  • Cars that control the bypass valves using vacuum actuators typically close the valves with application of vacuum and when the engine is off, or there is loss of vacuum, the valves will open. There are a few exceptions (Ferrari F355, 550 and 575M).
  • Disconnecting the electrical connector at the vacuum solenoid valve is a way to keep the valves always open. But, on some cars, if you disconnect the electrical connector, you may get a diagnostic trouble code or check engine light. This is often the case with newer cars ... e.g., Alfa Romeo Giulia.
  • Many cars with exhaust bypass valves use electrically actuated bypass valves. E.g., newer cars from Corvette, Camaro, Audi, BMW, Chrysler corporation. These electrical actuators typically work using Pulse Width Modulation or PWM. Among other uses, in a DC circuit, PWM devices are commonly used as a voltage regulator. As such, it is possible that the exhaust bypass valves can be easily modulated by the car's ECU to set multiple positions between fully open or fully closed. The electrical connector at the actuator typically will have three or four contacts, versus two on a vacuum solenoid valve.
  • If you have vacuum actuated bypass valves, you can disconnect the vacuum line to keep the valves open at all times without risking a check engine light, but this obviously will not allow toggling back and forth while driving. If you do disconnect the vacuum line, plug the end to prevent leaks and keep debris from getting in which could foul your vacuum solenoid valve.
  • If you have electrically actuated bypass valves, you can disconnect the electrical connector (or remove the fuse if it has a dedicated circuit) and keep the valves open all the time. But, doing so may trigger a check engine light. This safe to do on C7 Corvettes and Gen6 Camaros as they do not trigger a CEL when doing this.
If anyone has any questions, I can answer them here (if not sales related) ... otherwise, feel free to PM me any questions.

Best regards,

Steve

Quick Reply: Disable PSE but keep throttle response