Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts
Default Dang 2 year old battery is going..... "I'm not dead yet!"

2009 C2S 121K miles

This is really annoying..... this cold snap is deadly.... My two year old Duralast Gold (Autozone) battery is dying..... this is the 2nd Duralast to die within the warranty period for me... my wife's Lexus IS250 ate one last month... Autozone was great... took her battery in.. they attached some sort of device and it read a low voltage... they just handed me another. Now to my C2S battery.... New Year Eve it was very cold... I left the party, and the car had that scary slow "wum....wum.....zooom" start.... oh oh.... Home, I put it on the CTEK charger.... 6 hours later it still did not light the green light. I took it out and Autozone's device said it had a 100% charge. I guess the CTEK is more picky. Back in the car it went. I ran a refubish cycle on the CTEK and plug the CTEK in every night now. After a drive, it now takes about four hours on the CTEK but will now light the green. (I swear I heard the battery say "I feel happy".)

I guess I will have to wait until it is really dead to take it back. Where is that guy with the cart... 9 pence should do it.

Any estimates for how long it will take to be fully dead? If the ambient temps return above freezing, will the battery last another year? Did the refurb cycle bring it back to life?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-07-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:33 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Bruce,

Not sure which CTEK you are using and type of battery. On my CTEK Multi US 3300, the manual recommends using the "Snowflake" Mode 14.7V/3.3A charge setting for "battery at temperatures <41F. It is also recommended for many AGM batteries...."
Old 01-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Some new batteries air on the shelf for a long time. I’ve replaced bad batteries with new bad batteries. Always check for the manufacture date. I wouldn’t get anything older then 3 months. Costco has Interstate brand I believe and dates.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:42 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Bruce my Interstate H49 Megatron did this exactly the same way and I wasn’t going to replace a two year old battery. I finally got sick of the charger dance in 20 degree weather and traveling with a Mac tools jumper kit. Red top 34R Optima went in last week and it’s worth it. Kick that that SLA battery on down the road. Optimas also will last twice as long. Don’t even screw with that gold top another second. Oh and it’s 30 + pounds lighter too or thereabouts.

Last edited by ALEV8; 01-09-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:48 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
Bruce my Interstate did this exactly the same way and I wasn’t going to replace a two year old battery. I finally got sick of the charger dance in 20 degree weather and traveling with a Mac tools jumper kit. Red top 34R Optima went in last week and it’s worth it. Kick that that SLA battery on down the road. Optimas also will last twice as long. Don’t even screw with that gold top another second. Oh and it’s 30 + pounds lighter too.
I also use the 34R on my 996 - I use a mounting plate from Yellow Dog to secure it. It is smaller and I wish it were 30 pounds lighter. The 34R weighs about 38 pounds while an comparable AGM battery weighs about 50 pounds
Old 01-08-2018, 09:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Optima 34Rs in both my 997s too. I've been using Optima since the mid 90s and never had one die before it was 5 years old. There's better tech out there - make the leap.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:54 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

optima get horrible reviews. My interstate in my 993 has lasted 8 years.

Treat any battery well and it will last you a long time.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:22 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

Had a duralast gold on my cayenne and replaced it with the h9 agm from autozone. Better much better as it held charge more, but it’s at the shop now getting a new alternator bc it kept measuring be 11.1v to 13.0v
Old 01-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
optima get horrible reviews. My interstate in my 993 has lasted 8 years.

Treat any battery well and it will last you a long time.
Not based on my direct, personal experience. I have 5 in my cars (red top) and 2 in my boat (blue top). I also installed one in my old QX56 years ago that my Dad now owns, and no issue with that one either. In the Cayenne I had to use a different kind as Optima doesn't make one large enough, so it has a Napa Gold AGM in I think and H9 size.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just replaced an Interstate Megatron Plus with the same type yesterday. Being just past the 30-month free-replacement period, I only got 50% credit toward a new one, but it was a lot cheaper than buying a new battery no matter what brand.

Two years ago shortly after the battery was new, my car sat six months in the shop awaiting a new engine. I'm skeptical they put it on a trickle charger, probably just let it die and left it dead, then gave it a fast charge the day I picked it up. Then earlier this year it went back for another couple months, and then just recently was in the paint shop six weeks. When I picked it up it had a "system fault" and a bunch of unrelated codes needed clearing. Drove it home, didn't really drive it much for three weeks, tried starting it and it was completely flat, no idea how many days it had sat like that. Put my charger on it overnight (it's a Sears microprocessor one, but almost 30 years old), looked like it was taking a charge when I went to bed but was only showing 10V under load in the AM. I think the battery was pretty well damaged (sulfated) already, and/or my charger failed to trickle down and that was the coup de grace.

My next step is researching a new charger/tender. I don't want to hardwire it because I need it for my other car as well. Plus I want one that plugs in the power outlet if possible, as the frunk light stays on unless I trip the latch, which is a PITA (as is messing with the battery cover panel each time). I'll be searching the forum, but any recommendations are welcome!
Old 01-08-2018, 04:16 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I just replaced an Interstate Megatron Plus with the same type yesterday. Being just past the 30-month free-replacement period, I only got 50% credit toward a new one, but it was a lot cheaper than buying a new battery no matter what brand.

Two years ago shortly after the battery was new, my car sat six months in the shop awaiting a new engine. I'm skeptical they put it on a trickle charger, probably just let it die and left it dead, then gave it a fast charge the day I picked it up. Then earlier this year it went back for another couple months, and then just recently was in the paint shop six weeks. When I picked it up it had a "system fault" and a bunch of unrelated codes needed clearing. Drove it home, didn't really drive it much for three weeks, tried starting it and it was completely flat, no idea how many days it had sat like that. Put my charger on it overnight (it's a Sears microprocessor one, but almost 30 years old), looked like it was taking a charge when I went to bed but was only showing 10V under load in the AM. I think the battery was pretty well damaged (sulfated) already, and/or my charger failed to trickle down and that was the coup de grace.

My next step is researching a new charger/tender. I don't want to hardwire it because I need it for my other car as well. Plus I want one that plugs in the power outlet if possible, as the frunk light stays on unless I trip the latch, which is a PITA (as is messing with the battery cover panel each time). I'll be searching the forum, but any recommendations are welcome!
Trunk light will go out after about 2 hours, sooner if you lock the car with the remote. Not enough time to cause any drain on the battery.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:25 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Try this thread. Two different ways to hard wire. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rger-lead.html

You can buy pigtails separately and install them on multiple vehicles.

I've ruined a battery for my boat by storing it with a cheap trickle charger over the winter. Hard to beat CTEK and BatteryTender (I own both brands) with a preference to CTEK.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:04 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAVU
Try this thread. Two different ways to hard wire. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rger-lead.html

You can buy pigtails separately and install them on multiple vehicles.

I've ruined a battery for my boat by storing it with a cheap trickle charger over the winter. Hard to beat CTEK and BatteryTender (I own both brands) with a preference to CTEK.
I have both these same brands and they seem to work equally well. I have an Optima big charger for heavier duty work and a Shumacher too. For the maintenance chargers, I like the Battery Tenders because I can buy a multi-bank unit. I have 2 of their dual bank units - one that stays in the boat for maintaining both the Optima blue top Marine batteries and another by the lift giving me a feed for the car on the lift and the one under it.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:41 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Optima 34Rs in both my 997s too. I've been using Optima since the mid 90s and never had one die before it was 5 years old. There's better tech out there - make the leap.
Good experience with Optimas here too. Red tops do need to be always charged, so routine use of a Ctek maintainer is necessary.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:53 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
..a Mac tools jumper kit. .
Expensive !

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...fe-or-not.html

Quick Reply: Dang 2 year old battery is going..... "I'm not dead yet!"