Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust back pressure video. I'm confused.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 03:12 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Frederic944
For your information, the Porsche PSE has not benefits in term of performance, it has been designed and sold as just an enhancement for the sound, that's it.

And please, someone, please explain to us how back pressure can improve any torque at any RPM, more exhaust back pressure will just leave more burnt mixture in the cylinder, thus leading to decreasing the VE, how could it improve the performance? it just hurts performance! Now, if you talk about emissions, yes, having exhaust gas trapped in the cylinder will cool off the combustion and reduce Nox.
It's a bit difficult to explain without having some numbers or other data to help illustrate it, but it's not that having back pressure is "improving" performance. It's about tailoring the overall package to have the best characteristics in a wide range of driving situations.
Specifically, a big cube engine with a lot of cam overlap and free-flowing exhaust with giant headers that breathes extremely well is going to make a ton of power high in the RPM range, but low-end torque will be *reduced* as compared to an engine that has smaller headers that optimize scavenging at lower RPM and at part throttle. Likewise, that restrictive exhaust is going to hurt top-end performance, but it will be easier to drive on the street, it will idle better, start easy in the cold, and not stall if you turn the A/C on.

It's a bit like a drink straw: compare drinking a coke with a tiny coffee stirrer, a regular straw, or a short section of garden hose.

A racing engine is designed to be used at wide-open throttle and make peak torque at a very high RPM, thus maximizing power and when driven slowly, it will behave poorly. A street engine sacrifices power to make peak torque at a lower RPM making it possible to be driven at part throttle (and to increase longevity).
Old 01-02-2018, 04:29 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Now if someone can explain how the turbo charges work in layman terms, I always thought that the exhaust gas always turn the turbine thus always increasing the MAP, how is that i have to push the gas pedal down substantially before the turbo's spool up? I'm in idiot mode now.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:45 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

The "lag" your talking about is a characteristic of a typical system. You can decrease lag with a smaller turbo, larger displacement, advanced timing or relevant to this conversation..... Less back pressure. Of course just like the back pressure convo, pros and cons to changing any of those.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Frederic944
For your information, the Porsche PSE has not benefits in term of performance, it has been designed and sold as just an enhancement for the sound, that's it....
That goes to saying how good the standard exhaust is...
Old 01-03-2018, 02:42 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
This is one reason why the OEM PSE system when on Sport mode closes the valves when RPMs drop and then reopens them once they're higher again. Helps reduce one of the compromises with exhaust systems by supplying the higher back pressure at low RPMs for increased torque, and less restrictive at higher RPMs for increased flow and power, yet PSE owners continue to disconnect the vacuum actuator to prevent them from closing by themselves because they prefer the louder sound all of the time.
But its not rpm related - Its speed related. The valves close below 50km/h or whatever the activation limit is set to. It has more to do with noise levels when driving in cities from what I understood. Urban areas.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:46 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

This is one reason why the OEM PSE system when on Sport mode closes the valves when RPMs drop and then reopens them once they're higher again. Helps reduce one of the compromises with exhaust systems by supplying the higher back pressure at low RPMs for increased torque, and less restrictive at higher RPMs for increased flow and power, yet PSE owners continue to disconnect the vacuum actuator to prevent them from closing by themselves because they prefer the louder sound all of the time.
Originally Posted by ADias
That goes to saying how good the standard exhaust is...
My main problem with the standard system is the weight of it plus the too weak exhaust sound. With PSE activated more Ok but I coul;d live with even more noise even if performance is the same
Old 01-03-2018, 03:00 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

It’s really pretty simple. Backpressure is always bad, but sometimes, due to the compromises made in tuning an exhaust, it is an unavoidable side-effect and the net gains from the way the exhaust is set up outweigh some small amount of backpressure at certain rpms.

There is no benefit to backpressure in a traditional internal combustion engine. If there was, top fuel dragsters wouldn’t use open headers. In fact, top fuel dragsters wouldn’t have exhaust pipes at all except they need to route the hot gas away from the engine components and driver, and the upturned pipes produce downforce on the track. The most effective exhaust is none at all, but that’s rarely practical.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
But its not rpm related - Its speed related. The valves close below 50km/h or whatever the activation limit is set to. It has more to do with noise levels when driving in cities from what I understood. Urban areas.
Not correct. You can hear the valves reopen as you pull away from a stop in first gear and even pulling out of my neighborhood when I first hit the sport button, they'll open well before 50 mph.

Iceter, also, backpressure is not always bad, especially in Turbo applications, which we're not really talking about here, but just as an example. Turbos when sized for street car applications need some backpressure to operate at their proper volumetric efficiency, balancing the intake side resistance with that of the output side impeller, which is what spins the intake side. No backpressure on the exhaust side will allow the Turbo to overspool, reducing efficiency.

In NA engines, the backpressure doesn't reduce torque, it just shifts where it occurs. Without proper backpressure, compression is reduced and the torque band shifts higher, which is not where you want the torque on a street car. On a racecar where you're running at higher RPMs, that's not what you want and why all of them are loud with straight pipe exhausts, race cams, etc making both torque and power up high, but in a street car you're balancing drivability and all out performance so you want torque to peak lower in the range and HP to peak higher in the range.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:37 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Without proper backpressure, compression is reduced

what?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
what?
Sorry, compression within the exhaust system, not within the cylinders.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There are some interesting posts in this Corvette forum thread once you get down a few

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/195311-why-does-back-pressure-affect-torque.html
Old 01-03-2018, 11:16 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Not correct. You can hear the valves reopen as you pull away from a stop in first gear and even pulling out of my neighborhood when I first hit the sport button, they'll open well before 50 mph.

PSE block exhaust between 20-40 Mph or 25-75 km/h so its not rpm related. My point is that the PSE deactivation has nothing to do with rpm or back pressure/torque. its strictly for noise reduction driving at low speeds.

http://carnewal.com/products/P87/p97...Manual-Control
Old 01-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Iceter, also, backpressure is not always bad, especially in Turbo applications, which we're not really talking about here, but just as an example. Turbos when sized for street car applications need some backpressure to operate at their proper volumetric efficiency, balancing the intake side resistance with that of the output side impeller, which is what spins the intake side. No backpressure on the exhaust side will allow the Turbo to overspool, reducing efficiency.
I am not a fluid engineer so take this all with a grain of salt, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express... .

Turbos don't need backpressure any more than NA engines. Turbos won't overspool from less pressure on the downwind side, they overspool because the engine continues to provide additional exhaust gas as it revs up after the turbo reaches its optimal rotation speed and efficiency. That's why turbos have wastegates--to divert the upwind side exhaust and prevent the turbo from overspooling. In fact, in the act of preventing overspooling, a wastegate reduces backpressure in the primary exhaust tract, which is counter to your suggestion that more backpressure helps to slow the turbos.

A turbo won't spin faster than the exhaust drives it. Friction is a cruel master. Maybe back in the old days, a heavier turbine would carry some inertial rotation after the throttle is lifted, but it won't turn faster than the peak rotation the exhaust gave it. So, since the turbo's speed is entirely dependent on the gas being pushed through it from the upwind side, what happens on the downwind side of the turbo (which is always lower pressure than the exhaust on the upwind side) doesn't affect the turbo's speed.

I am open to alternative explanations, but so far, I am unmoved.

Last edited by Iceter; 01-03-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:10 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbos do not require any backpressure at all because they are the restriction on the exhaust system...
and the reason a turbo will overspool is if there is too much exhaust and the wastegate is not doing its job and stays close ..

a wastegate controls boost by releasing the exhaust that spools the turbo..the more exhaust the more boost u get by limiting how much exhaust is going into turbine u limit how much boost the inducer will make..

Quick Reply: Exhaust back pressure video. I'm confused.