Sponsored by:

Buying used 911 from Porsche dealership

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 01:42 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matt997
FWIW, I purchased a cpo 09 911 S from Porsche exchange in Chicago that came with a cat back FVD exhaust. This was documented in a couple places within the cpo paperwork. I've also seen cpo cars for sale with non oem wheels and other cosmetic changes.
I've seen this also. But this may also mean the dealer will cover the aftermarket parts, or not associate any other problems to them. Other dealers may not be so forgiving.

Also, a CPO does not mean the dealer actually inspected anything. It's essentially a warranty that they'll fix the car during the CPO timeframe (2 years).
I've seen dealers "pencil whip" CPO checklists. This is why a PPI is important for discovery of something that may not be problematic until after the warranty period.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:00 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

I would ask them what would it cost to CPO...act like you would only buy it as a CPO... IF they give you a price, then you know they trust the car....you should buy it at the non CPO'd price and you can determine if the difference is worth it as well and maybe pay the extra. If they don't CPO it, it means the dealer thinks there is something questionable on the car.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:14 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

The general rule is to get a comprehensive PPI if you want to eliminate significant risks. It was not clear from your post if you put eyes on the car, test drove it and had a chance to speak to the service advisor at the dealership that has serviced the car since new. If you were able to do it all in person, then I might pass on the PPI. There are some terrible stories on Rennlist of people who bought their car sight unseen, and even with the CPO, the car was in poor condition cosmetically. Moral of the story is to make sure someone you trust puts eyes on the car (and that might not be you if you are not in know of what to look for) and that a CPO is just an insurance policy on the mechanical of the car that can mask some bad stuff.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:57 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

CPO designation is not easy on an 8 year old car, unless it was babied or very well taken care of.

Get an independnet PPI. You could make a deal pending a favorable examination.

Best of luck
Old 01-03-2018, 12:37 AM
Dymag
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do yourself a favor and have a third party PPI done on the car. I bought a car from Porsche Plano, and decided not to have a PPI because the car came with a CPO and was being sold by a Porsche Dealer . . . . . . the car was NOT truly inspected by the dealer . The service department "pencil whipped" the inspection pages, and the salesperson lied about the car's condition. The car had several significant flaws, and 2 glaring safety issues. I had the car delivered to me 1,000 miles away, so . . . . . lessons learned; always have a PPI and put eyes on the car prior to a purchase. I am now waiting on a couple of replacement parts from Germany.

These steps will help ensure that you will love your new Porsche.

Enjoy -
Old 01-03-2018, 01:04 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

FWIW, I purchased a cpo 09 911 S from Porsche exchange in Chicago that came with a cat back FVD exhaust. This was documented in a couple places within the cpo paperwork. I've also seen cpo cars for sale with non oem wheels and other cosmetic changes.
Same here. Have bought two CPO'd 997's with after market exhaust and wheels..
Old 01-08-2018, 12:06 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Op said it’s a Wpqp, then said it’s a 2009. Not sure which is correct but the former can be certified but the latter cannot. Not sure which there is any confusion on his part about that. It’s either one or the other.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:34 PM
t1gerb0y
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

+1

When I was shopping for a CPO Porsche, the salesperson sent me a screen cap of a statement from Porsche saying aftermarket exhausts and wheels are acceptable. I didn't know that before.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:43 PM
t1gerb0y
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dymag
Do yourself a favor and have a third party PPI done on the car. I bought a car from Porsche Plano, and decided not to have a PPI because the car came with a CPO and was being sold by a Porsche Dealer . . . . . . the car was NOT truly inspected by the dealer . The service department "pencil whipped" the inspection pages, and the salesperson lied about the car's condition. The car had several significant flaws, and 2 glaring safety issues. I had the car delivered to me 1,000 miles away, so . . . . . lessons learned; always have a PPI and put eyes on the car prior to a purchase. I am now waiting on a couple of replacement parts from Germany.
+1

The Porsche dealer I bought my car from did the same thing... their service department wrote "completed CPO inspection" on the invoice but they couldn't show me the completed official CPO checklist. Fortunately, the car was excellent and would've passed everything anyway. Still, a highly-recommended third-party PPI before purchasing would've been ideal. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2018, 06:17 PM
inspectX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Holzy: Where is the car located?

Quick Reply: Buying used 911 from Porsche dealership