Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM feels tired

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 11:16 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Well, I like the idea of the Ohlins but just read about the 30K service intervals. No thanks. I'm not going to tear them off and send them in
every 18k miles (every two years) for two weeks.

OE is looking better and better.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:35 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

Every coilover manufacturer stipulates service intervals, especially for heavy track use. Doesn't mean you have to live or die by it. Should be the least of your worries in making this decision.
In the end, do you want factory feel for entirely too much money, or a quality suspension upgrade for the same?
Seems like a no brainer to myself and others who've actually installed Ohlins (and others), but up to you in the end.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:48 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MrClean
I could use some input from those with experience.

Coming from a 987S with PSS9s and a 981 with X73, the PASM setup on my 22k mile 2005 LE feels soft and uninspiring - if not underdampened. I should also mention that I purchased the 997S in June this year with H&R springs which have been on the car since about 2k miles, installed 12 years ago. I find the X73 ride and body control just right for street and back roads thrills (no track). The PSS9 setup was also good for street with firmer ride but also performed well for occasional track use.

Thinking the PASM shocks may be shot, and taking into account my positive experiences with the PSS9s, I was planning to replace them with new Bilstein B16 (damptronic) coilovers. This would also preserve the PASM functionality. However, after reading this thread, I’m not so sure my expectations will be met.

Couple questions...

1) Those that have experience with the H&R + PASM, does what I wrote sound familiar?

2) Will switching to the B16 setup firm up the soft ride and improve the body control?

TIA.
The short answer is yes, the factory PASM shocks are probably weak, more than likely due to having to work outside of their comfort zone with the lowered ride height with H&Rs. I typically try to guide clients away from using H&R on PASM equipped vehicles for this reason. Many have used this set up successfully, and may not notice the difference, but over the years I have seen accelerated wear on PASM vs Base Bilstein shocks/struts.
Second question is answered by whether you feel the need to have a system function like PASM or not. I've never found PASM useful on less than smooth tracks or roads in non GT cars, so ​​​​​the functionality as an "on/off" switch does not appeal to me when I can simply turn my front wheels and reach in the back of the car and to make more precise adjustments.

​​​
Old 01-01-2018, 03:52 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Ptech1
The short answer is yes, the factory PASM shocks are probably weak, more than likely due to having to work outside of their comfort zone with the lowered ride height with H&Rs. I typically try to guide clients away from using H&R on PASM equipped vehicles for this reason. Many have used this set up successfully, and may not notice the difference, but over the years I have seen accelerated wear on PASM vs Base Bilstein shocks/struts.
Second question is answered by whether you feel the need to have a system function like PASM or not. I've never found PASM useful on less than smooth tracks or roads in non GT cars, so ​​​​​the functionality as an "on/off" switch does not appeal to me when I can simply turn my front wheels and reach in the back of the car and to make more precise adjustments.

​​​
Agree on all point except about the non-GT cars. My experience has been the same "on/off ' switch characteristic applies for 997 GT2/GT3's Normal and Sport mode, however, the GT cars' PASM shocks have better shim stack and adjustable sway bars(especially on .2 cars) that can supplement and sort of create a blend of the two modes.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:58 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

I could use some input from those with experience.

Coming from a 987S with PSS9s and a 981 with X73, the PASM setup on my 22k mile 2005 LE feels soft and uninspiring - if not underdampened. I should also mention that I purchased the 997S in June this year with H&R springs which have been on the car since about 2k miles, installed 12 years ago.

2005 was the first model year(here in the US, 2004 for Europe) for PASM. Back then, the idea of active suspension was totally awesome! At that time we were racing Cup cars in GrandAm pro racing using 3-way adjustable shocks, making shock adjustments for each track and for changing track conditions during practice sessions, qualifying, and some times even during pit stop in a race. So the idea of having a suspension that electronically adjust was fantastic! After reading the sales literature on the new active suspension(back then) we were so excited that a bought a 2005 997S and drove it straight from the dealer to a race track to try the suspension. Anyway, as many know now, the execution fell short to the idea and the marketing back then. Over the years, PASM has gotten to be incrementally better but your description of that car being uninspiring and underdampened is consistent with what we felt back in 2005 on a stock new car. The disappointing experience though has opened up an opportunity to create a solution.

Couple questions...

1) Those that have experience with the H&R + PASM, does what I wrote sound familiar?

Yes. With the first gen PASM, lowering the ride height >30mm with springs only exacerbates the underdamping characteristic.

2) Will switching to the B16 setup firm up the soft ride and improve the body control?
Yes, B16 haves slightly firmer(linear-rate) coil springs and slightly firmer mechanic valving so there's more resistance during compression, it does feel better that way. BUT, on rebound the PASM electronic command to the B16 is still the same command to the original shocks so it will oscillate(feel bouncy). So the better answer to this question is "yes, in some ways but not all". In order to improve body control you need a way to be able to control the electronic commands to either PASM or B16 dampers. The available only solution for that for electronic dampers is a product called DSC.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
2005 was the first model year(here in the US, 2004 for Europe) for PASM. Back then, the idea of active suspension was totally awesome! At that time we were racing Cup cars in GrandAm pro racing using 3-way adjustable shocks, making shock adjustments for each track and for changing track conditions during practice sessions, qualifying, and some times even during pit stop in a race. So the idea of having a suspension that electronically adjust was fantastic! After reading the sales literature on the new active suspension(back then) we were so excited that a bought a 2005 997S and drove it straight from the dealer to a race track to try the suspension. Anyway, as many know now, the execution fell short to the idea and the marketing back then. Over the years, PASM has gotten to be incrementally better but your description of that car being uninspiring and underdampened is consistent with what we felt back in 2005 on a stock new car. The disappointing experience though has opened up an opportunity to create a solution.

Yes. With the first gen PASM, lowering the ride height >30mm with springs only exacerbates the underdamping characteristic.

Yes, B16 haves slightly firmer(linear-rate) coil springs and slightly firmer mechanic valving so there's more resistance during compression, it does feel better that way. BUT, on rebound the PASM electronic command to the B16 is still the same command to the original shocks so it will oscillate(feel bouncy). So the better answer to this question is "yes, in some ways but not all". In order to improve body control you need a way to be able to control the electronic commands to either PASM or B16 dampers. The available only solution for that for electronic dampers is a product called DSC.
Q: Some say that DSC may wear out the dampers faster, given its higher frequency control. What is your experience, or what do you know/think about it?
Old 01-01-2018, 07:24 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Q: Some say that DSC may wear out the dampers faster, given its higher frequency control. What is your experience, or what do you know/think about it?
A: With over 1000 DSC's sold and supported for street and track use as sample quantity, my experience is that the damper wear is a zero-sum game. Theoretically, the control valve inside the dampers will wear sooner but theoretically on the flip side the varying bypass produces less heat and less stress on the pressure seals inside the dampers. The opening and closing duty cycle of the control valve via electro-magnet is very much the same as the fuel injectors on an engine. Electro-magnet technology is very reliable. Granted that some dampers will stop working sooner than others due to mass manufacturing statistics, but that has more to do with items like how the wires were soldered to the Electro-magnet inside the damper. With all being equal DSC doesn't make any damper wear measurably sooner. I have read that some PASM dampers stock working as early as 30K miles without DSC. Many DSC users here on RL in the 997, GT2/GT3, and Turbo section can attest to a lot more miles than 30K with DSC.

Also, the OEM PASM system are getting to be more and more active.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:18 PM
MrClean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great discussion about this situation with PASM and various suspension setups.

This is just the kind of feedback I was looking for - thank you all!

Based on what I’m reading, I’m seriously considering a non-PASM setup.

Anyone know how the Ohlins R&T would compare to the JRZ RS touring coilovers?

Quick Reply: PASM feels tired