Sponsored by:

Leak on underside...cause?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 04:53 PM
zjolsen
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Leak on underside...cause?

edit, ended up being just some seeping not a leak!

Last edited by zjolsen; 03-17-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:33 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a suggestion. I had a 1999 996 with Tiptronic. I was starting to get a bit of a weep from the trans pan gasket. I went around the pan and snugged up all the bolts (carefully - don’t lean on them). Some of them were loose and took about a quarter turn to tighten. Then I used brake cleaner to clean off all the crap that had collected. I never had another issue after that and I kept the car for about 3 years after that.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:38 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have the same car but mine is an S. There is a seal on I think the torque converter housing that I saw some thread where a guy took it apart to fix. Supposedly it is one of the more common problems. I’ve ask both my dealers and they have never seen the issue to maybe not so common.
Anyway I would clean it real good and check it in a thousand miles. If it has never dropped it can’t be much. At least if you clean good and look later you might be able to nail the source down.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:50 AM
318touring
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh dear, I had the same issue on my 996.2 Tip, C4.

I had the bolts tightened, still leaking, the seal replaced, still leaking, transmission connector replaced, still leaking but on one side only.

Fortunately(?) 996 has less underbody panels allowing quick and easy inspection of the transmission pan for leaks. At the end I had to wipe the leak every month or so otherwise it'd start dripping on to the garage floor.

I posted a couple of times re this in the 996 forum - at the end there was no resolution for me.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:33 PM
zjolsen
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent a few hours under it yesterday and cleaned everything up the best I could (4 post lifts are a life saver). I will get some new pictures up to see if its still leaking in a few days and see if the drip pans show anything.

Thanks for the help so far!

Quick Reply: Leak on underside...cause?