Anyone try new Valentine V1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 02:42 PM
bah212
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone try new Valentine V1?

The one with the Junk-K-Fighter.
I’ve had a number of detectors over the years and eventually tired of the constant falsing. Most all of my driving is urban/suburban and the constant false alerts makes them hard to live with.
I know I could try for 30 days but thought I’d see if any one here has any experience
thanks
Bruce in NYC
Old 12-22-2017, 03:11 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Yes, I had mine upgraded about 2 years ago.... maybe more upgrades now? It was fine until I started traveling in Northern NJ and around NYC... that darn thing falsed so much I almost threw it away.... it became useless. I think one of the triggers are these motion/proximity detectors on the higher end cars but I'm not completely sure. The junk filters work really well. I also put mine in logic mode and purchased that gizmo that attaches to the OBD2 port where it does two things 1) powers the unit, and 2) can set a speed threshold under which it is totally silent. Now the unit is back to being fantastic.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-22-2017, 03:19 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

My friend updated to the Junk K fighter. He likes the detector and it did make it quieter however it is far from quiet compared to some of the other detectors on the market. I have a Beltronics STIR Plus in my daily driver which rarely goes off since it locked out the false alarms, I also have a Max 360 which is good but I dont use it as much just since I am mostly in my daily driver. I think for my next detector I will look at the Uniden R3. Manual false lockout by pressing a button but overall a great detector with great range and filtering. Although I understand if you need the arrows and in that case you can just update your V1. Would be cheaper than buying a Max 360.

Also, since we are on the topic of radar detectors, if anyone is ever needing a laser jammer system, I would recommend the Anti Laser Priority. Recommending a radar detector to people is much more difficult but with laser jammers it is much more simple. The best is the ALP.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:51 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a new V1 hardwired with the BT sending option. I upgraded last March from a 5 year old model. The new version works very well - exceeded my expectations. With the BT module, an app on my iPhone takes the place of the remote viewer I used previously. On the highway, the V1 is a winner.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:44 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Where do cops use K-band anyway? I only have the Ka-band on... When the radar goes off I know it's for real.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:38 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

After Bruce updated his V1, I sent mine in for the junk update, too. Since I got it back, I have been very pleased with its performance.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Where I live in SC, the police only really use Ka band so on my older Passport 8500s I've deactivated all of the other bands and rely on Ka detection only supplemented by Waze.

NC still shoots with a pulse X band so I re-enable that when I go into NC but since that's usually highway driving, not a lot of false X alerts around.

The absolute worst false offender is the Cadillac / Chevy / GMC belies setting off full strength K band warnings about every 10 seconds when you're behind them. Other high end vehicles like Audis are using laser for something, maybe adaptive cruise control. So far the only brand of vehicle I get false Ka on are Kias.

My v1 with Junk fighter is the quietest of all my detectors.

Before disabling the bands except Ka, I was about ready to pull them from my cars.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:50 AM
Hams911
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

100% agree with everyone’s comments here. My old V1 while great at finding speed traps but never stopped with the false alerts. New model much better but operating in any other mode than the stock setting of all on also helps quite a bit. I have the remote audio savvy and the remote mount display which helps mute when needed and no one knows I have a detector. All in still cheaper than max 360.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:35 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

Can someone explain the new update?

I have resolved to leave the detector on silent and try to distinguish the Ka alerts among the constant flashing. I even thought about putting tape over the other lights besides Ka. Even Laser is a non-issue in Connecticut. Those are always false as well...

Edit: How can you disable the other alerts? Can you update from home via internet and cord to computer or do you still have to send it in?
Old 12-23-2017, 12:03 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by LISsailor
Can someone explain the new update?

I have resolved to leave the detector on silent and try to distinguish the Ka alerts among the constant flashing. I even thought about putting tape over the other lights besides Ka. Even Laser is a non-issue in Connecticut. Those are always false as well...

Edit: How can you disable the other alerts? Can you update from home via internet and cord to computer or do you still have to send it in?
New update is just a software update that better filters out blind spot monitoring falses and k band falses. You have to send it in to get that update.

To disable the other alerts, you have to do this. http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/TechReport3.asp
Old 12-23-2017, 12:11 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Originally Posted by Bxstr
New update is just a software update that better filters out blind spot monitoring falses and k band falses. You have to send it in to get that update.

To disable the other alerts, you have to do this. http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/TechReport3.asp
This is so helpful. Thank you! I plan to program out everything but Ka.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:45 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
NC still shoots with a pulse X band so I re-enable that when I go into NC but since that's usually highway driving, not a lot of false X alerts around.
Be careful around Raleigh. City cops here have a couple of laser machines. They’ll set up traps on bridges where one cop will stay on the bridge and several others will wait on the other side and wait for his radio call. I have been told that Charlotte cops do it, too.

Of course, with laser, once you get the alert, you’re probably toast anyway.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:39 PM
daxbox
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, I recently switched out to a Uniden R3, and I've been very pleased with it. Great K and KA segmentation options, good long range performance, has red light camera warning, and a pretty good price. No directional arrows, though, but that's just a small compromise.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:34 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Originally Posted by daxbox
FWIW, I recently switched out to a Uniden R3, and I've been very pleased with it. Great K and KA segmentation options, good long range performance, has red light camera warning, and a pretty good price. No directional arrows, though, but that's just a small compromise.
Being that my V1 is hardwired, what other new detectors have a compatible power cord? In the event I’m interested in trying a new model. I’ve had the V1 for over 10yrs. It’s great but perhaps a bit archaic.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:34 PM
daxbox
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LISsailor

Being that my V1 is hardwired, what other new detectors have a compatible power cord? In the event I’m interested in trying a new model. I’ve had the V1 for over 10yrs. It’s great but perhaps a bit archaic.
The power cord (phone jack looking adaptor, I think they're called RJ10 adaptors) on your V1 will work on the Uniden R3. If you were using a remote display on your V1, that won't work on the R3, obviously... but no need to re-do your hardwire. I had the V1 hardwired on all my cars; I just changed out the mounting hardware for the R3, but still used the same cords from my V1. This dude on youtube is a bit much at times, but does a great job in reviewing radar detectors. He used to wax poetic on the V1, until the R3 came out: https://www.youtube.com/user/TravelCam1111/featured

Last edited by daxbox; 12-23-2017 at 11:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone try new Valentine V1?