Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed Double Din Pioneer AVH-4201NEX7 - Pics & initial thoughts. 997.1 BOSE

Old 12-20-2017, 10:10 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Just installed Double Din Pioneer AVH-4201NEX7 - Pics & initial thoughts. 997.1 BOSE

2005 911S Launch Edition BOSE Early PCM

This is my 3rd 2005 997S and 2nd one of them being a Launch Edition car ( i have soft spot for those) after dealing with PCM on the last 2 cars and always looking for solution to get music to work, (on my last 2005 i did mobridge but wasn't happy w it) i was always against the idea of installing something non oem specially spending $2,000 total..however this time my PCM on the car i bought was flickering a bit so i figured ok i'll either have to get a used one or i may just replace the system with something updated.

Went to delrey customs, told them i wanted something w carplay they suggested the pioneer, spent a couple of grand and have had it for a day now. Initial thoughts are.

-Fits and looks great in the car with the kit, doesn't look deviated from the OEM look, so thats a big plus.
-Great features like Bluetooth streaming, phone calls, all that good updated technology.

things i'm not crazy about
-Waze isn't part of apple play so i have to use mirroring if i want to use waze- i don't like apple maps as much as waze.
-i had already read how you lose the ability to FADE from front/rear- so i set Fader to level 4 rear on my original PCM before they installed it, but i feel like that wasnt' enough or that this idea of setting to 4 on old pcm is just a myth, i prefer more sound from rear and now it feels like the sound is equal which i'm trying to get used to.
-There is white noise from engine and as rpm's go up if music is down.

All in all i'm not 100% sure how much i like it yet specially spending the $2,000 on it..maybe i should have spent $700 and just got an AUX switch or something..but again its nice to have all the new technology..still mixed emotions about this mod.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:32 PM
plc61
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good; which MOST adapter did you use?
Old 12-20-2017, 11:36 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plc61
Looks good; which MOST adapter did you use?
No idea man, all was installed by Delrey customs which are gurus at this and have been doing 911's forever.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:40 PM
plc61
Track Day

I did the Sony CarPlay unit a few days ago, and like it. I agree that it would be nice if Waze worked with CarPlay.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:48 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plc61
I did the Sony CarPlay unit a few days ago, and like it. I agree that it would be nice if Waze worked with CarPlay.
What about fading music to the rear? doesn't it bother you that you can't control that? and if the music is turned all way down with stereo on don't you get a whine with RPM ?
Old 12-21-2017, 12:01 AM
plc61
Track Day

No fader- I set mine on zero before removing the old head unit, and seems right. I have not noticed any whine or noise.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

After spending that much at a shop of "gurus" who have been doing these "forever" I would not accept those glitches. If they couldn't rectify the whine and set you up with a fader (or at least adjust it to your satisfaction), I would make them reinstall the PCM and give you your money back. I've got a Tranzit BLU HF adapter in mine and I get handsfree phone and BT streaming of music and GPS with Siri voice activation. No whine, and the fader works. Cost me a C note. I've never used an Apple Play radio though...what's the advantage?
Old 12-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben Z
After spending that much at a shop of "gurus" who have been doing these "forever" I would not accept those glitches. If they couldn't rectify the whine and set you up with a fader (or at least adjust it to your satisfaction), I would make them reinstall the PCM and give you your money back. I've got a Tranzit BLU HF adapter in mine and I get handsfree phone and BT streaming of music and GPS with Siri voice activation. No whine, and the fader works. Cost me a C note. I've never used an Apple Play radio though...what's the advantage?
i have the old PCM without the phone buttons which i'm pretty sure means that the Tranzit wouldn't work for mine. The fader part is on every double din so i guess i can't really say anything to them about that, the whine i don't like and will call them about it- Apple play is great, you get your texts, calls, music, everything right there, you use siri on the radio etc..great technology
Old 12-21-2017, 08:42 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Interesting that the non-nav Pioneer would have no fader capability. The 8201 NEX does have a fader (which really helps create balanced sound field). I also have no detectable engine noise or electric audio artifacts. That sounds like an improperly grounded connection somewhere. For that kind of investment, I would take it back to Delray. Insist it be corrected or upgrade to the higher end Pioneer for the double din. Or, you could replace the original PCM and find another installer!
Old 12-21-2017, 10:26 PM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

2k?? What else did they install besides the head unit. I have been looking at that same device for my wifes Hummer and its only 600 including the satellite radio tuner at Best Buy
Old 12-21-2017, 11:10 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Qwksnke
2k?? What else did they install besides the head unit. I have been looking at that same device for my wifes Hummer and its only 600 including the satellite radio tuner at Best Buy
The bose cable alone is $600
Old 12-21-2017, 11:13 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rwdds
Interesting that the non-nav Pioneer would have no fader capability. The 8201 NEX does have a fader (which really helps create balanced sound field). I also have no detectable engine noise or electric audio artifacts. That sounds like an improperly grounded connection somewhere. For that kind of investment, I would take it back to Delray. Insist it be corrected or upgrade to the higher end Pioneer for the double din. Or, you could replace the original PCM and find another installer!
It does have Fader option and you can move it but it does nothing, i'm pretty sure i read all the double dins are like that with bose - so you have one and it actually fades the music to the rear?
Old 12-22-2017, 01:01 AM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes! Full fader & balance, graphic equalizer settings, etc., with a really simple interface that is easy to adjust. I'll take a pic tomorrow. I had the the Pioneer HU installed a few weeks after taking delivery, so I didn't play with the stock pcm very much. I know I disliked pretty much everything about the Bose system and speakers. Full disclosure = I'm a total audio snob.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:32 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rwdds
Yes! Full fader & balance, graphic equalizer settings, etc., with a really simple interface that is easy to adjust. I'll take a pic tomorrow. I had the the Pioneer HU installed a few weeks after taking delivery, so I didn't play with the stock pcm very much. I know I disliked pretty much everything about the Bose system and speakers. Full disclosure = I'm a total audio snob.
This one has EQ also and all that and the fader but again no way to move to rear, and the whine is ridiculous when music is down- i actually loved the sound of BOSE and i'm going to ask delrey customs what kind of solution we can find here, if i can't get the quality which i expected then i believe i should be refunded, we will see what happens, i'm sure this may end up turning into a problem with them since labor is involved
Old 12-22-2017, 12:17 PM
Lip
Intermediate

Similar albeit less expensive audio experience with my Alpine ilx.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed Double Din Pioneer AVH-4201NEX7 - Pics & initial thoughts. 997.1 BOSE