Sponsored by:

High Mileage on 997.1 or 997.2 cars? Please post if you're 100K+ miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 08:25 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MGuns
@Bruce- I am happy to transmit a photo of the 200k milestone when it happens. Shouldn't be too far into the future as its my DD and I live 41 miles from my office. I'm hoping to keep her going until at least 356,911. Current oil burn rate is zero (knock on wood). I do need to make a small correction to the list of current maintenance. I stated the IMSB Solution when I should have stated Retrofit. Sorry for any confusion. While I am a new join I have known about Rennlist since about 2006 and occasionally stalked it. I certainly appreciate the dialogue generated by this forum.
This is awesome! It's so cool to see ppl actually drive their Porsches instead of using them as garage queen. I just had my winter tires installed and it was awesome in the snow this week. These cars are meant to be driven, as not only they're fun to drive, they're also quite reliable!
Old 12-21-2017, 08:48 PM
MGuns
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For Sure! My 06 Hummer H2 has really been the benchmark for reliability. I replaced a hub bearing and the exhaust after 2 years living in the snow but otherwise it has been a trouble free 162,xxx miles that includes towing an enclosed trailer while moving a family of 6 from NC to VA in 2014 and then from VA to LA in 2016. And yes, that Hummer does off road duty in support of my day job. Seeing as this isn't a Hummer forum; back to our regularly scheduled Porsche programing....
Old 12-21-2017, 09:58 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MGuns
I have an 05 997.1 C2 with 158,XXX miles.
I would send a photo of the odometer but it is currently getting a bit of maintenance. Recently replaced tires, changed plugs, filters, coilpacks, belt, brake fluid, transmission fluid, and mass air meter. Currently getting a clutch, slave cylinder, and a new dual mass flywheel. While they are in there I had them install the LN IMSB solution and the rear main seal even though I had no observable leaks. Seemed like prudent insurance while the engine was exposed. Car is together and my tech is running all diagnostics and upgrading firmware and put a few miles on it in road testing today. Should have it back tomorrow or the next day, latest, after its detailed. That car has been described by two different shops as "bulletproof" and as I am a stickler for maintenance I intend to keep it that way. Only addition to the car is an XM radio receiver.
Inspirational. I dub thee King of the 997 Subforum for today!
T
Old 12-21-2017, 10:13 PM
MGuns
Intermediate

Thanks brother!
Old 12-21-2017, 11:13 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's your target
Old 12-21-2017, 11:28 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by cringely
Here's your target
Wow ... just wow!!!
Old 12-22-2017, 09:23 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by cringely
Here's your target
Details please, if you have them?
T
Old 12-22-2017, 11:03 AM
MGuns
Intermediate

That old school mechanical odometer with that particular score racked up on it is nothing less than awesome!
Old 12-22-2017, 02:28 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll play. Mine is an 06' with 126k+ on the chassis and about 38k on the motor. Original motor was swapped for brand new by dealership from previous owner due to bore scoring at 88k miles. Since purchasing the car over 2 years ago I've only replaced the springs for Eibachs to lower, new Michelin Pilot sport 4 S tires last month, and new front tie rod inners on both sides. This does't include other mods that I don't consider under the maintenance category. Car still handles great and pulls strong.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:31 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

2006 Carrera S... six-speed with 125K miles. Outside of routine maintenance and aesthetic mods, I have replaced cracked coolant reservoir, AOS, cracked front wheel fender liner, starter motor, alternator cable, and 2qt deep oil sump.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:31 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just passed 100k miles. '07 997.1. Only service out of the ordinary:
- new clutch at 50k
- water pump (proactive at 65k)
- hot start cable at 80k
- trunk release
- headlight cleaning and car door dings
runs incredibly well and still very happy with her!

-
Old 12-22-2017, 07:39 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

"Here's your target"
Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Details please, if you have them?
T
Sorry, could't resist. That was my 1980 911SC. It made it to 375,000 before the #2 cylinder went soft. While I would love to put that kind of mileage on my 997.2, I now work out of state and only drive it on the weekends (only 5,000 miles this year instead of the 15,000+ a few years back). I did have the opportunity to drive an '86 Carrera for a number of weeks (while the owner was back east) and, with the exception of size and knowing exactly where the front tires were (more erect headlamps), the 997 is a far better car and I would't go back for all the tea in China. I do look forward to retirement (again) so that I can put more miles on the 997—the best daily driver yet.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:41 PM
MGuns
Intermediate

My car is back and the tech that worked on it (a PCA race team tech) called it a unicorn. My IMSB was still like new. I know he is telling the truth because I held it in my own hand. He walked me through the process with another engine belonging to a 996 Cab that was on the lift. Engine was out of that car for a for rebuild due to a catastrophic IMSB failure. He was amazed that I got such mileage out of it and didn't even really NEED to change it. That is great news and should be encouraging for other 997.1 owners.

The new flywheel and clutch have been immediately noticeable. I didn't realize I was working so hard with such a tough clutch. The freer revving and silky smooth and light shifting is back and my car, for lack of a better term, feels more agile. Smiled like an idiot for the whole the 60+ mile ride home.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:24 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

"I acquired stewardship at 35K miles just over three years ago. Maintenance costs have been 13 cents a mile. See the attached chart for details."
Please correct me if I am wrong: you do all or most of your maintenance, correct?
I cannot imagine a non-wrenching owner having this kind of maintenance cost over this amount of miles and time. I envy you unabashedly.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by ogun228
"I acquired stewardship at 35K miles just over three years ago. Maintenance costs have been 13 cents a mile. See the attached chart for details."
Please correct me if I am wrong: you do all or most of your maintenance, correct?
I cannot imagine a non-wrenching owner having this kind of maintenance cost over this amount of miles and time. I envy you unabashedly.
Yes, mostly DIY. These cars make that easy, so long as you have a place to work on them.

You will notice the price on the first oil change, a non DIY, wherein the dealer over filled and I had to drain a quart out. FWIW, that implies the dealer used 8.5 quarts but still charged me for 10.

I went to a different dealer for the PDK oil change and over paid by $350 when they prematurely removed the entire oil pan rather than checking to see if the drain bolt could be removed (a 2009 possibility forced upon my 2010). Once removed the pan cannot be reused. They supposedly charged me their price on the pan, and then added an hour of labor.

I find myself avoiding make rights when I do the work myself. And it allows me to do things like cut open the oil filter for inspection. And I don't pay for parts I don't need.

I don't have access to tire changing or alignment equipment anymore so I pay for those.

A few weeks back after a group drive some 991 owners were talking about dealer charges for an oil change. That would definitely give one incentive to DIY!!! So much so that one DIY owner took some of us over to his car to demonstrate that you should not have to pay for rear bumper removal when your oil is changed.

With the money I've saved I'm planning on cutting out a part of my garage floor to repour with rebar and a steel fiber 6 bag mix. Then comes a two post lift. But that's after I finish the kitchen remodel.

Yes, I'm a tool junkie 8)

BTW ... It's not the money saved ... It's the enjoyment, bonding with your car, and peace of mind that matter most.

Quick Reply: High Mileage on 997.1 or 997.2 cars? Please post if you're 100K+ miles