Sponsored by:

Transmission done?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 01:59 AM
Lange
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission done?

Hello from Denmark, first post by the way!

I'm a new owner of a Porsche 997 C2S from 2004. The car has driven over 150,000 km (95.000 Miles)and was bought with knowledge of a shifter failure.

I had hoped for a broken half shaft, CV or shifter cables, but that's not the case.

It can easily go into gear, but it feels like the clutch does not engaged and let the car move forward in none of the 6 gears. In reverse the clutch feels more solid, but the car still does not move.

Should I look in the direction of the coupling or is the transmission done and complete?

Regards,

Christian
Old 12-19-2017, 08:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,157 Likes on 3,924 Posts

Easily goes into gear with the engine off or engine running? There aren't too many transmission failures on these - more pressure plate or friction disc failures or slave cylinder failures, but the latter usually won't let you get the car into gear with the engine running, just gears grinding as the clutch won't disengage.

I'd start by inspecting the clutch and see what you see.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:10 AM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome Lange. I agree with petza that you should start with the trani.
A few years ago Idropped the trani to inspect seals, clutch and slave cylinder. Also pulled the seal on the IMS. My Here is my thread which may help you out.
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...hl=uwon&page=3
BTW, I have found that the Renntech forum is an excellent alternative for serious machanical/electronic issues as evidenced in the aforementioned thread.
Cheers,
Old 12-21-2017, 04:55 AM
Lange
4th Gear

Thanks for the feedback.

I do not think it's the slave cylinder, then it would not go into gear when the engine turns.

As I see it, there are only two options left, clutch + pressure plate or the highgear-shaft in the transmission. Although I've never heard of a broken gear shaft.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:10 AM
Lange
4th Gear

Hi,

To follow up this topic, the release bearing, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel are done and need to be replaced. The new parts are on our way, so we'll be back on track soon.

Thanks for the replies!

/Lange
Old 12-30-2017, 08:16 AM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

That’s good news.
Have you considered changing the trani oil, replacing the RMS, replacing the IMS or at least pulling the IMS seal?
Johan
Old 01-10-2018, 03:15 AM
Lange
4th Gear

New transmission oil. The RMS and IMS seals will be changed if its damaged or worn out it.

Quick Reply: Transmission done?