Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice purchasing my first 997

Old 12-20-2017, 06:48 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

WRodSpradlin,
I'm on my second Trip car first one was a 2000 Boxster never any problems with it and like you most of the time it stay in D mode and it was my weekend car love the automatic. Well actually i don't know what they call the auto transmission in the Cayenne but it works like the trip in the Boxster, so i might have 3 cars with a trip transmission . I just purchased a 997 2009 Turbo from SLO had to be an automatic and drove it home could not do the ocean side so up I-5, and you are right all the good cars are in SoCal. So don't shy away from a trip, PDK would be nice but they do command a price but usually less than a MT.

If your close to Livermore this seem to be a nice car sold by a Porsche dealer if that means anything to you
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8276/overview/
Old 12-20-2017, 07:12 PM
Definitive Porsche Guides
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Guy’s there is no real right answer which is best transmission wise - love is the eye of the beholder, so the OP should take the test drive and decide which works best for him.
- Tip is easy and more comfortable in stop start traffic and when doing the motorway commute, but provides less connection between man and machine when pressing on down your favourite back road. It’s still fun though! If you use the car to commute/daily drive and like a bit of fun on the side it makes a strong case.

- Manual involves the driver more, providing a more direct, emotive and exciting interaction with the car. It adds a feeling of more control, even when you aren’t pressing on, but it can be a chore in the conditions where the tip excels. If it’s a weekend fun car then you start to lean towards manual!

- PDK, sits between the two, it’s great in stop/start/cruise but not quite as smooth as the tip, but it’s much more fun and involving in paddle/manual mode, with the right paddles/wheel (but still not as involving as a manual). It’s nearer to the win-win scenerio but adds complexity and early cars needs careful inspection. As ever you pay your money and make your choice! Information is king (learning as much as you can about the 997 options snd models before purchase) but don’t miss the test drive, we each have prejudices and driving a few models/options will help reveal the OP’s.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:58 PM
RodSpradlin
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always used to say, did you buy the car to look at it or drive it? I say drive the crap out of it. I'm not looking to preserve any value in the car.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:34 PM
RodSpradlin
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really think I am feeling better about the TIP S option now....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice purchasing my first 997