Sponsored by:

PSE Solenoid Question/Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:42 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PSE Solenoid Question/Help Please

I've installed a set of used PSE mufflers, complete with the vacuum lines and switch wiring to an ashtray switch. I have checked that I get 12v properly switched at the solenoid electrical connection (disconnected in the photo) but my PSE is always on. (Yes, I know that is how I should leave it all the time ) I have checked and rechecked all my vacuum connections and from what I can tell they seem good.

While installing the solenoid valve I lost the little black plastic cap that fits over the small circular protrusion (red circle in photo). Am I correct that this needs to be covered in order to develop the vacuum in the lines for the PSE to function properly? Can I simply tape it up or is there something else I should know? If it should be sealed, maybe someone knows what its there for in the first place.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:18 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Do you hear any hissing over the engine noise?
Test the solenoid with a 9 volt battery while you put your finger over the hole. Engine running for vaccum.
Or have it turned on with engine running and try the same.
Just looks like a snap fit cap!
Possibly just a plug of some sort will do.

Checked my PET Just found this: #99660512301 from Don Rosen Porsche in Phila.
Changeover valve - 2009-10 - 2009-10 09-10 list $25.79 cost $23.21.

Last edited by larrytrk; 04-11-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

One more thing, remove the vaccum line to the mufflers, from the solenoid and suck on it with a mighty-vac or some vaccum pump, see if you hear the flaps "clink" closed.
Then you know it's the solenoid.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:17 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Thanks.

I put some electrical tape over the open "port" but I can't tell any difference between on/off so I still don't think it's working.

I will try some of these suggestions and let you know. If the solenoid is working I should hear an audible click right?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:23 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Yes.
Slight Click with electrical charge.( even 9 volt battery) on solenoid.
Vacuum gives loud "Clank" on muffler valves
Old 04-12-2010, 12:37 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you temporarily rig your vacuum line directly from the source to your mufflers (bypass the solenoid) to see if the diaphragms on the mufflers are activating with application of vacuum?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:34 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

If I apply a 9v battery to the solenoid I definitely hear a click.
When I disconnect the "Y" vacuum line from the solenoid and suck on the open end I hear the the clicks in each muffler.

Soooo...

At the risk of exposing myself as being a complete moron, have a look at my install of the vacuum connection and tell me what I did wrong:

Old 04-12-2010, 01:46 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

From what I recall on my last car, this looks ok. Have you checked for vacuum at the end of the tube from the vacuum source where it connects to the solenoid to ensure there is suction there (with motor running of course)? If so, if you directly connect it to your Y connector to the mufflers (bypass the solenoid), I would expect the mufflers to go to silent mode. If so, then I would assume the problem is with your solenoid not connecting the vacuum source (input) to the muffler tubes (output) when power is applied.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:32 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Ken- You're the best!
  1. I disconnected the vacuum line from the pump at the rubber elbow at the solenoid and put my finger over the line- vacuum confirmed.
  2. Disconnect "Y" at the solenoid and connect the vacuum line from (1) and presto- mufflers go quiet!
  3. Re-connect the line from (1) and put my finger over the open vacuum fitting in the solenoid (from removing the "Y" in (2) ) but no vacuum regardless of presence of 12v at the solenoid.
  4. Disconnect vacuum line as in (1) but this time removing the rubber elbow from the solenoid and put my finger over the open end of the elbow- NO VACUUM!

I remove the rubber elbow from the vacuum line and confirm that I cannot draw air through it at all. There does not appear to be a simple blockage as I can't put a metal skewer through it or "puncture" it open. I can drill through it though, and open it up after drilling through rubber. Perhaps it was a blockage created in the forming of the elbow? Anyway, it was now unobstructed, and when I reconnected everything, it all works as advertised- I'm very happy!

So, the answer to my original question is that the the small circular protrusion (red circle in photo in original post) on the solenoid does not need to be covered. In fact, it can not be sealed or the vacuum pressure in the muffler side of the vacuum line will not be released when 12v is cut (loud mode selected) and mufflers will stay quiet. I had to figure that one out when I forgot to remove my test piece of electrical tape over the protusion on the solenoid...

One last question though... how could this have worked for the person I bought it from?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:47 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

perhaps he wanted it on all the time!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Joel: Glad you got it resolved. Sometimes you civil engineers need a little help from we mechanical engineers LOL. I agree with Larrytrk, original owner may not have known it wasn't working or didn't care. Was his a factory install? Why did he remove it? (too noisy all the time?)
Old 04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Ken, you're right- at least mechanical engineers are good for something...

AFAIK, his PSE was installed by his Porsche dealer after he bought/leased his car, and then un-installed by the dealer when he sold/returned it. He may have wanted it loud all the time, but I don't think the rubber piece was intentionally blocked to make it loud, it seems as if the rubber elbow piece was manufactured as I described above which makes no sense to me...
Old 04-12-2010, 02:55 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Seems to me some older threads had to do with blocking off vacuum line instead of unplugging socket to solenoid to keep it on.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:56 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by schwartzwest
Ken, you're right- at least mechanical engineers are good for something...

AFAIK, his PSE was installed by his Porsche dealer after he bought/leased his car, and then un-installed by the dealer when he sold/returned it. He may have wanted it loud all the time, but I don't think the rubber piece was intentionally blocked to make it loud, it seems as if the rubber elbow piece was manufactured as I described above which makes no sense to me...
For people that want loud all the time, an elbow like yours would have saved them the trouble of unplugging the solenoid. Better yet, all they have to do is unplug the vacuum hose (or remove it entirely).
Enjoy your PSE. Let's see a photo of your ashtray switch sometime.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:59 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

oh goodie! , the ultimate ashtray switch comparison :>)

Quick Reply: PSE Solenoid Question/Help Please