Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Never!
Old 12-30-2017, 05:51 PM
Russ21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In UK we get snow 1 or 2 days a year, a bad winter we get snow for 4 or 5 days a year. Never known anyone over here use winter tyres, and sports cars stay in the garage if it snows.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:57 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

I have a simple rule. Drive leased cars in the winter. Who cares if the weather and roads abuse it.

I was close to changing this view when my leased BMW was coming to lease end. Hell....why not save a bunch of money and just drive my Carrera S with dedicated snows. I picked up a great set of 19 inch Porsche OEM Sport Classic wheels and a set of slightly used Scottos. Was prepared to be one of those "don't give a sh@t what the winter roads throw at my mint Carrera". Then it happened. My BMW dealer made me a deal on a 2018 X5 lease that I just could not refuse. Sold the winter wheel tire package to a fellow rennlister nearby. I tried! Maybe in 3 years.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:09 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily drive my 997.2 4S in Michigan, driving 150 miles per day, 5 days a week. I purchased a set of used Porsche rims from the for sale section of Rennlist and run Sottozero's. Driving this car in the snow really opens up an entire facet of enjoyment that I think the vast majority of Porsche owners are missing out on.

We have a 2006 Cayenne S in our family that has well over 220k miles on it, also driven year round. In my opinion, Porsche's hold up better than any other vehicles in the salt and snow. The lack of corrosion is incredible, and as pointed out in previous posts, I believe this has to do with the great lengths Porsche goes through to protect these vehicles for operations in these conditions. Really, if you think about it, tracking a car is much harder on it than salt would be, and a lot more people track their cars than drive them in the snow.

Ultimately it's up to you. I would love to have a museum car, but I'm not at that point in life. Really, there is no wrong way to drive a Porsche.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:10 PM
Russ21
Instructor

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I have a simple rule. Drive leased cars in the winter. Who cares if the weather and roads abuse it.

I was close to changing this view when my leased BMW was coming to lease end. Hell....why not save a bunch of money and just drive my Carrera S with dedicated snows. I picked up a great set of 19 inch Porsche OEM Sport Classic wheels and a set of slightly used Scottos. Was prepared to be one of those "don't give a sh@t what the winter roads throw at my mint Carrera". Then it happened. My BMW dealer made me a deal on a 2018 X5 lease that I just could not refuse. Sold the winter wheel tire package to a fellow rennlister nearby. I tried! Maybe in 3 years.

This winter was the worst in about 7 years, this snow laster 3 days
Old 12-30-2017, 06:38 PM
Russ21
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjshar
I daily drive my 997.2 4S in Michigan, driving 150 miles per day, 5 days a week. I purchased a set of used Porsche rims from the for sale section of Rennlist and run Sottozero's. Driving this car in the snow really opens up an entire facet of enjoyment that I think the vast majority of Porsche owners are missing out on.

We have a 2006 Cayenne S in our family that has well over 220k miles on it, also driven year round. In my opinion, Porsche's hold up better than any other vehicles in the salt and snow. The lack of corrosion is incredible, and as pointed out in previous posts, I believe this has to do with the great lengths Porsche goes through to protect these vehicles for operations in these conditions. Really, if you think about it, tracking a car is much harder on it than salt would be, and a lot more people track their cars than drive them in the snow.

Ultimately it's up to you. I would love to have a museum car, but I'm not at that point in life. Really, there is no wrong way to drive a Porsche.

If it's your daily drive then put some snow tyres on. My mum had a porshe (944) and it was her daily car from 1986 to 2008, it died with over 250,000 miles on it, 235,000 done by her, the latter years it needed a bit of welding. My car, however is too low for snow and 2wd. 3.5 inch from bumper to ground. My old one was C4S with normal bumpers, but in the time I had it tit never snowed
Old 12-31-2017, 02:35 PM
MGuns
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dual Hummer and Porsche ownership means I would be an idiot of epic proportions to tempt fate and drive my little car in the snow. A little game at work is my boss and his boss asking me which car I think I'll drive home if afternoon weather is brewing. We call it "The First World Problem".
Old 12-31-2017, 11:02 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by rjshar

Agree with this 100%, but obviously you need to set yourself up to drive safely in these conditions with the right tires etc. I scored a used set of OEM 997 wheels and have the Pirelli winter tires. I've had the car in some deep snow, and also on icy roads. The C4S in particular is sure-footed and a fun way to get to where you need when the weather turns nasty. In Europe, 911's are used all year around too, they're designed for all conditions.

Unless you're saving your car for the museum or someone else, get out and enjoy it!
Old 01-01-2018, 03:42 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Drive out to Chilliwack. Yes, that's a real place.
Aw, Darn, Had to wash it when I got home.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:18 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyghost230
Darn, Had to wash it when I got home.
Nice targa!
Old 01-02-2018, 09:04 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

For me, it is more gratifying to wash a dirty car than a clean one.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:47 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Originally Posted by shekmark
My car is new to me, so I don’t know if previous owners drove through bad weather and salty roads. I wonder what the consensus is? I definitely seen results of salt on my vehicles over the years in NJ. Are Porsches different? I drove my truck today because they salted the roads ast night. First snow of the season. I passed at least ten Beemers on my way home. No Porsches. Thoughts?
No. I also own a SUV.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Evilfrog
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

No plans to. Just not a fan of all the salt. Now if my Cobalt finally kicks the bucket (it's closing in on 200,000 miles.) I'll have to decide if I want the Porsche to have daily driving duties. Likely not though. I work at a Brass Mill, and that's a dirty place with lots of tire popping things.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Conch911
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

I have a feeling that a whole lot of people- like those in Charleston, SC, will have to answer "yes" this week...
Old 01-05-2018, 01:32 PM
bkbiii
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Never! Ha. Winter auto cross at LimeRock, CT a blast every year.
LimeRock AX in 997 C4 w/ hardtop

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you drive in snow?