Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 GTS Journal from Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 11:50 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Impressive garage and M-Car collection. You're going to love the P-Car best I think, but we'll be interested to hear what you think?
Old 12-10-2017, 03:55 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Nice m3 collection.

Is that a CSL?
If so, wow. That car is legendary.

I'd appreciate your comparative impressions of these cars. Detail would be awesome. No wrong or rights here. I'm just very interested in your subjective as well as objective impressions and observations.

👍
Old 12-11-2017, 04:37 AM
Clubber
Racer

Received 451 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by the_buch
Impressive garage and M-Car collection. You're going to love the P-Car best I think, but we'll be interested to hear what you think?
Originally Posted by love2drive
Is that a CSL?
If so, wow. That car is legendary.

I'd appreciate your comparative impressions of these cars. Detail would be awesome. No wrong or rights here. I'm just very interested in your subjective as well as objective impressions and observations.

��
Thank you both. Yes, that is a CSL.

Although I bought the most M feel Porsche (rwd,Na,widebody) the similarities end there. GTS is a very different car. I only have the car for a week so comprehensive comparison will have to wait.

Until then, I have to say, the GTS will need some getting used to. I am very used to a planted nose and a loose rear which gts is the opposite. GTS has amazing rear traction for a rwd car which an M car can only dream of BUT super light front end is annoying at times. The front keeps running away from me in some turns. M cars have been very planted in that area. I think I'll get used to it.

ABS is very intrusive in the gts too. Especially at low speeds. But at high speeds (over 250km/h) the GTS is VERY planted and reassuring where M cars feel a bit floaty.

In terms of cabin life the only critism is how thin the steering wheel is, I was used to thick and cushiony feel of the M st.wheels. The one in the GTS is very thin and hard. First world problems I know

As I said, I will do a full write up after I have a few monts,km's and laps under my belt with the GTS.

So far, love it.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:50 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubber
Thank you both. Yes, that is a CSL.

Although I bought the most M feel Porsche (rwd,Na,widebody) the similarities end there. GTS is a very different car. I only have the car for a week so comprehensive comparison will have to wait.

Until then, I have to say, the GTS will need some getting used to. I am very used to a planted nose and a loose rear which gts is the opposite. GTS has amazing rear traction for a rwd car which an M car can only dream of BUT super light front end is annoying at times. The front keeps running away from me in some turns. M cars have been very planted in that area. I think I'll get used to it.

ABS is very intrusive in the gts too. Especially at low speeds. But at high speeds (over 250km/h) the GTS is VERY planted and reassuring where M cars feel a bit floaty.

In terms of cabin life the only critism is how thin the steering wheel is, I was used to thick and cushiony feel of the M st.wheels. The one in the GTS is very thin and hard. First world problems I know

As I said, I will do a full write up after I have a few monts,km's and laps under my belt with the GTS.

So far, love it.
i have similar impressions M->GTS. M steering wheels are no good with gloves on. Porsche wheels excel there and I have very big hands.

I recommend you Get your front end realigned to Increase your front camber and take toe to zero. Then you’ll have no complaints about front end washout.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:57 AM
Clubber
Racer

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I recommend you Get your front end realigned to Increase your front camber and take toe to zero. Then you’ll have no complaints about front end washout.
Golden tips. Thank you.
How much front camber would you recommend (80% daily+20%twisties) ?
Old 12-11-2017, 10:48 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

you say daily, do you mean street? If dailying and comfortable with accelerated front tire wear then go max camber with the OEM control arms and push top hats all the way in. if you are concerned about tire wear then max out camber at the control arms and keep top hats pushed out. you can always push both top hats in if you want to be more aggressive. and this way you wont need a full alignment just to increase camber. if only putting a few thousand miles/kms on per year then max out front camber as much as possible. you'll appreciate the more responsive turn-in... it will be a bit darty on highways though. well worth it IMO
Old 12-11-2017, 05:02 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, you got a clean one. Looks really nice. Like-new. Is there paint protection film on it, or not? Looks like the whole car is covered, but it could be the lighting. Anyway, congrats and enjoy it in the best of health. Your photos make me miss my old white GTS.

One suggestion, though: get some black center lock nuts, and center caps. They really clean up the wheels and finish off the car nicely, imo.

respectfully disagree but to each their own. And, you’re one of a lucky few who get to make the decision.
I agree. The black accents are what set the GTSes apart. I have to admit, though, the photo the OP posted is the first one that has made painted skirts and lip look pretty damn good. (I'd still refrain, though, but to each their own.)

​​​
Originally Posted by rwdds
Love your ride! Who manufactured the black wheels? They are beautiful and look fantastic with the polished rims. I need them!
Like others have stated, they are OEM wheels. I had the same ones. But to answer your question with more specificity (not that you asked for it), they were made by famed Porsche supplier Otto Fuchs. They're forged and pretty light for an OEM wheel.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Clubber
Racer

you say daily, do you mean street? If dailying and comfortable with accelerated front tire wear then go max camber with the OEM control arms and push top hats all the way in. if you are concerned about tire wear then max out camber at the control arms and keep top hats pushed out. you can always push both top hats in if you want to be more aggressive. and this way you wont need a full alignment just to increase camber. if only putting a few thousand miles/kms on per year then max out front camber as much as possible. you'll appreciate the more responsive turn-in... it will be a bit darty on highways though. well worth it IMO
Thanks again. I'll start with control arms first and see where that takes things. I booked for alignment tomorrow, the whole setup can be wrong as I doubt it ever had any adjustments since delivered to its owner 6 years ago.
Originally Posted by Ten Years
OP, you got a clean one. Looks really nice. Like-new. Is there paint protection film on it, or not? Looks like the whole car is covered, but it could be the lighting. Anyway, congrats and enjoy it in the best of health. Your photos make me miss my old white GTS.
One suggestion, though: get some black center lock nuts, and center caps. They really clean up the wheels and finish off the car nicely, imo.

I agree. The black accents are what set the GTSes apart. I have to admit, though, the photo the OP posted is the first one that has made painted skirts and lip look pretty damn good. (I'd still refrain, though, but to each their own.)

Like others have stated, they are OEM wheels. I had the same ones. But to answer your question with more specificity (not that you asked for it), they were made by famed Porsche supplier Otto Fuchs. They're forged and pretty light for an OEM wheel.
​​​
Thanks.
No ppf yet. just replaced the yellowed stone guards with new for now.
Will look into black nuts and caps, never noticed from other cars.
It is too late for the black bits as they are being painted as we speak. I went through tens of photos and believe it will look much better all white. lower stance and more muscular front facia. will post shots when its done this week.
Didn't know that the oem wheels were fuchs, thought they were BBS. learn something new here everyday
Old 12-11-2017, 05:45 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clubber
Didn't know that the oem wheels were fuchs, thought they were BBS. learn something new here everyday
Ten Years is mistaken. You are correct. They are BBS RS Spyder wheels.

See page 24 of the GTS brochure under 'Wheels':

http://photos.stuttcars.info/upload/...911-997GTS.pdf
Old 12-12-2017, 02:14 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Ten Years is mistaken. You are correct. They are BBS RS Spyder wheels.

See page 24 of the GTS brochure under 'Wheels':

http://photos.stuttcars.info/upload/...911-997GTS.pdf

Really?

Here you go:

​​​​​Link:
http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=1172&L=1

And some of the other OEM wheels they've been making for Porsche:
http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=807&L=1

BBS makes many of the modern cast Porsche wheels. I'm a huge BBS fan (I've owned LMs and LMRs), but Fuchs has been making some of Porsche's most beautiful forged offerings.

Last edited by Ten Years; 12-12-2017 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:18 PM
chagrin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed! very nice garage
Old 12-12-2017, 12:33 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Really?

Here you go:

​​​​​Link:
http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=1172&L=1

And some of the other OEM wheels they've been making for Porsche:
http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=807&L=1

BBS makes many of the modern cast Porsche wheels. I'm a huge BBS fan (I've owned LMs and LMRs), but Fuchs has been making some of Porsche's most beautiful forged offerings.
Well what the... they are referenced everywhere as BBS RS Spyder wheels. I suppose the most accurate to do is look at the stamp on the wheel. Porsche owns the Spyder trademark so maybe they have both manufactures make versions of this pattern? I’m stumped now. This is news to me but worth the fun detective work. Thanks, Ten Years, for posting this info up.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Well what the... they are referenced everywhere as BBS RS Spyder wheels. I suppose the most accurate to do is look at the stamp on the wheel. Porsche owns the Spyder trademark so maybe they have both manufactures make versions of this pattern? I’m stumped now. This is news to me but worth the fun detective work. Thanks, Ten Years, for posting this info up.

My guess is this... While I've definitely heard them called by their name "RS Spyder" wheels, I think I've maybe heard people refer to them as being "BBS RS Spyder wheels," because of this car, the, well, RS Spyder (Le Mans Prototype):

It does look like this car's wheels are a little different, in comparison to the later, OEM production "RS Spyder" wheels found on the 997.2 GTS/Turbo S, et al. They seem a bit more curved, at the hubs, which is a signature BBS design cue. My guess is the race car wore BBS wheels, and that is why some people might have referred to the later OEM production car wheels as being BBS.

Btw, Porsche was clearly working with BBS at the time, as some competition cars ran (very obviously) BBS wheels:

(Can't tell if this one is a model or not. Either way, it looks damn good in white!)

When it came time to design a wheel for the above mentioned 997.2 models, I think Porsche took inspiration from the race car's wheels, and ended up with what are now known as being "RS Spyder wheels." While the overall design definitely uses the nearly-patented BBS expanded mesh look, they are a little flatter at the hubs, and the spokes are a little straighter/more parallel, thicker and further spaced apart.

So... BBS likely made the original race cars' wheels, and Porsche turned to Otto Fuchs to make a similar looking production wheel. Pretty cool, as we are talking about two of the most famed, highest quality wheel manufacturers in the world. Cheers.

Last edited by Ten Years; 12-12-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:08 AM
Clubber
Racer

Got the black plastics painted (lip,sideskirts,etc.)
Major difference if you ask me. Wide hips are more pronounced now. Very happy.

And a glamour shot with a friends .2 Carrera

Old 12-15-2017, 02:33 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks great, were the pieces removed prior to paint or were they painted while on the car?

Quick Reply: 997 GTS Journal from Istanbul