Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Techron - How much and How often?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 11:33 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

Another FWIW, a friend recently had his motor scoped when in for other service. His car has a lot of miles. The valves were reported as clean.

Whatever the truth about DFI motors, it seems that the 9A1 is well designed to be pretty immune to carbon build up.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,169 Likes on 3,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Another FWIW, a friend recently had his motor scoped when in for other service. His car has a lot of miles. The valves were reported as clean.

Whatever the truth about DFI motors, it seems that the 9A1 is well designed to be pretty immune to carbon build up.
Sure does from the graphic. Maybe Porsche figured it out by having the fuel wash the back of the intake valve during the intake stroke. I wonder where the injector is positioned in the other types of DFI motors that are famous for carbon buildup, like the BMWs. I also wonder if my DFI 09 Cayenne turbo has a similar design to the 997 9A1 motor since both DFI motors were developed for the 2nd generation Cayenne (957 series in 2008) and 2nd generation 997 (997.2 series in 2009) around the same time.

I might need to post that graphic in the Cayenne forum and let someone who has had one of the 957 DFI motors apart respond.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Looks like the same technology is used in my Cayenne 4.8L DFI motor. I actually have a PDF copy of the 957 generation Technical Release Document to Porsche Service, that includes a similar graphic on the Cayenne DFI engine that shows the injectors spraying the backside of the input valve - here's the page (31 of 108), so it looks like Porsche employed this technology in all of their first generation DFI engines, which I think is great news for those of us who have heard horror stories about carbon buidup on the back of intake valves in DFI engines. I think this makes the use of a Techron treatment prior to the last oil change even more effective at maintaining the vehicle's drive train.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Techron works in DFI engines. Techron as a liquid and vapor phase. When fuel with Techron is injected into the engine any thing the Techron as a liquid comes in contact with -- including the injector nozzles -- is cleaned. During combustion the Techron turns to vapor. Since some exhaust gas can flow back and contact the intake valve the intake valve being "cold" causes any vaporized Techron to condense on it and then liquid (again) Techron can loosen/remove deposits on the valves.

If you want to run Techron periodically my advice would be to run it a tank or two *before* an oil change. I would use Techron according to directions. Well, I cheat a bit. A bottle I buy treats 20 gallons but I use the entire bottle even though the gas tanks of both of my cars only hold a bit over 16 gallons.

Unless the bottle of Techron is sized to treat just 4 or 5 gallons of gasoline I would *not* use a bottle of Techron that treats 20 gallons or whatever in just 4 or 5 gallons of gasoline.

Just use Techron according to directions and it will work just fine.
Originally Posted by Petza914
Looks like the same technology is used in my Cayenne 4.8L DFI motor. I actually have a PDF copy of the 957 generation Technical Release Document to Porsche Service, that includes a similar graphic on the Cayenne DFI engine that shows the injectors spraying the backside of the input valve - here's the page (31 of 108), so it looks like Porsche employed this technology in all of their first generation DFI engines, which I think is great news for those of us who have heard horror stories about carbon buidup on the back of intake valves in DFI engines. I think this makes the use of a Techron treatment prior to the last oil change even more effective at maintaining the vehicle's drive train.

Nice post. I didn't know that the earlier v6 base 3.2 liter was not DFI, but DFI came out with the 957s then. We have a 2009 Base we are very happy with, as it came with a lot of options. Can you post that document. I can look through press releases and such but haven't located a technical document such as you have.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ericson38
Nice post. I didn't know that the earlier v6 base 3.2 liter was not DFI, but DFI came out with the 957s then. We have a 2009 Base we are very happy with, as it came with a lot of options. Can you post that document. I can look through press releases and such but haven't located a technical document such as you have.
Sure, here you go.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Old 12-07-2017, 03:28 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

I have been using Techron for about 30 years in my 1985 911 because it was recommended by Porsche. Every 3000 miles, a couple of tanks before an oil change, and this car runs unbelievably well after about 116,000 miles. Is it a coincidence? I don't know, but I won't stop. I also use it in my DFI 997 because it should at least help keep the injectors clean, and might keep the valves clean. Plus there is the placebo effect. Mike
Old 12-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

I just ran one tank with techtron since I am getting ready for winter layup oil change and I swear it idles smoother.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:55 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Thanks for reposting this picture. That's always been my understanding, that the back side of the valve gets "washed".
I am not an expert but if I recall correctly valves rotate in the process of being used so unlike the dark side of the moon the valve's front side is constantly rotating to become the washed back side. (good strategy for showering also)

In my prior Porsche life I recall always scouting out Chevron for my fill ups. Additionally, a concentrated Techron flush - one bottle to 3-4 gallons before every other oil change was recommended. And a normal mix before a long trip at highway speeds.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:59 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
I am not an expert but if I recall correctly valves rotate in the process of being used so unlike the dark side of the moon the valve's front side is constantly rotating to become the washed back side. (good strategy for showering also)

In my prior Porsche life I recall always scouting out Chevron for my fill ups. Additionally, a concentrated Techron flush - one bottle to 3-4 gallons before every other oil change was recommended. And a normal mix before a long trip at highway speeds.
In addition to Chevron gas, Texaco gas also includes Techron additives.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I am not an expert but if I recall correctly valves rotate in the process of being used
Interesting. Would love to have this nugget re-confirmed. Thank you.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:03 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha ! I learned this in high school - the idea that the rocker arm was slightly off center and forced the valve to rotate ever so slightly. (kind of happy when my memory hasn't failed me again)

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...tate-over-time
Old 05-09-2018, 02:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Ha ! I learned this in high school - the idea that the rocker arm was slightly off center and forced the valve to rotate ever so slightly. (kind of happy when my memory hasn't failed me again)

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...tate-over-time
I PM'd Charles Navarro to peek in and comment on your post (#38) above. Hopefully he'll shed some expertise for us. Thanks again.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:56 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

I PM'd Charles Navarro to peek in and comment on your post (#38) above. Hopefully he'll shed some expertise for us. Thanks again.
There are endless videos on YT showing how and why this happens.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

The valves indeed tend to rotate due to the action of the spring, unless the keepers have been ground down. Just like piston rings rotate on the piston (except when they are pinned as Porsche did on the 2nd piston ring).
Old 05-09-2018, 07:52 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ericson38
I agree, very nice post. One can also infer that with considerable control over both valve timing and injection timing, they could have designed in a "cleaning cycle" periodically. Especially if the valve/injector timing for cleaning isn't optimal for overall performance.

Goddam clever that would be, especially for the 2009 model year when everyone was still trying to sort DI out.

Quick Reply: Techron - How much and How often?