Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

MT vs Auto

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 05:48 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 782 Posts

I think so, although I guess I didn't realize that there people out there who thought the PDK gearbox was a manual transmission.

I do see it called an "automated manual" transmission from time to time, but I don't recall anyone referring to it as a manual transmission. I certainly don't think it's a manual transmission.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:06 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Hmmmmm iirc A manual transmission has a clutch and a stick to change gears. Sometimes the clutch has hydraulic assistace to engage and disengage the plates .....a pdk has a dual clutch and a stick (or paddles or buttons) to change gears. Using Hydraulics the computer engages and disengages the appropriate clutch The pdk does have the ability to be completely computer controlled without movement of the stick.
I would call the pdk a lazy mans manual transmission as he doesnt have to physically engage/ disengage the clutch. Or an computer controlled clutch transmission vs a manual or leg controlled clutch transmission. An automatic transmission has no clutch and does not need input to change gears, computer or leg or hand. The gears can be maually changed on some automatic transmissions
Dang, almost confused myself.

If you had a button that actuated controlling hydraulics to engage and disengage the clutch would it still be a manual transmission
Old 12-01-2017, 07:23 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by f911
You are wrong and deceptive and you see that you never drove in 997 TIPTRONIC S ..
Be sure, on the runway, a driver with TIP S gears in manual mode faster than you on MT.
On paper only. TIP S mode D is slow drop from MT. But this is D (automatic) mode. I agree that it is quite disappointing in D mode, especially without Chrono Sport.
In manual mode with Chrono Sport the story is completely different.
LOL what?? Who is saying anything about one type of transmission being faster than the other?? The poll was just asking if your car is an auto or a manual. Can’t believe that you are over complicating so much such a simple question.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:27 PM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
Hmmmmm iirc A manual transmission has a clutch and a stick to change gears. Sometimes the clutch has hydraulic assistace to engage and disengage the plates .....a pdk has a dual clutch and a stick (or paddles or buttons) to change gears. Using Hydraulics the computer engages and disengages the appropriate clutch The pdk does have the ability to be completely computer controlled without movement of the stick.
I would call the pdk a lazy mans manual transmission as he doesnt have to physically engage/ disengage the clutch. Or an computer controlled clutch transmission vs a manual or leg controlled clutch transmission. An automatic transmission has no clutch and does not need input to change gears, computer or leg or hand. The gears can be maually changed on some automatic transmissions
Dang, almost confused myself.

If you had a button that actuated controlling hydraulics to engage and disengage the clutch would it still be a manual transmission
​​​​​​​D in PDK It is fully automatic as D in S TIP is fully automatic.

PDK based on dual clutch PDK and not similar to Sequential Transaxle Gearbox.
TIP S is based on torque converter and is not similar to Sequential Transaxle Gearbox.

By the way. Also in TIP S when you drive in manual mode the computer does not interfere (except for the risk of the motor.As in PDK)
And if you drive in TIP S with PSM OFF. The computer does not interfere ..
Transmission transfers at TIP S are significantly improved with the Chrono Sport package. I say this from experience.

I think the technology based on torque converter is very reliable and powerful. But there is no doubt that dual clutch technology is faster. But sensitive.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:30 PM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by ATSR
LOL what?? Who is saying anything about one type of transmission being faster than the other?? The poll was just asking if your car is an auto or a manual. Can’t believe that you are over complicating so much such a simple question.
Read again what you wrote and what I wrote down.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:52 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

... Can’t believe that you are over complicating so much such a simple question.
How long you been on RL? If I learned anything on RL, there are a hundred ways to enjoy the P-cars we love, and everyone's way is the "best." For me, it's PDK, Sport+, playing with my steering wheel buttons & pretending I am coming down the Mulsanne Straight at the Circuit de la Sarthe...T
Old 12-01-2017, 08:22 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
I started this poll on 991 forum. You can check the stats over there
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1036...pdk-stats.html

It is interesting to see if 997 population is statistically different.
So which one - Manual or Auto (inc. all the flavors) do you drive?
Are you starting to wish you asked this question differently when you brought it over here

Old 12-01-2017, 08:58 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Any transmission where the transmission can shift automatically into another gear, is, by definition, an automatic transmission. Doesn't matter if you cal it PDK, Tip, or any other name.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:37 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocco07
Results will be inconclusive if some consider PDK a "manual." I hate seeing dealer websites list PDK as a "manual transmission."

Question should be "manual or Tip/PDK?' eliminating subjectivity and discussions about why PDK is not an automatic. It may not be, but it's also not a manual regardless of how internal gizmos operate.
I agree and sorry for the confusion.
Unfortunately I failed to find a way to edit the Poll question, and it might be a bit late to do so anyway, as many had voted making their assumptions certain way.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:51 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Are you starting to wish you asked this question differently when you brought it over here

Ha, you score!
Old 12-02-2017, 12:53 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

I also should admit I enjoy reading
Old 12-02-2017, 01:32 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

My view is simplistic because it’s a simple question. Auto or manual. 3 pedals or 2 pedals. For example, if you are selling your car on Autotrader.com and the drop down menu for transmission type only has 2 options: manual or automatic, which one would you choose? This is what this poll is asking IMO.
All you prove with that is that Autotrader's drop down menu comes up short for the same reason this poll does. I'm not saying the PDK should be advertised as a manual transmission. I'm saying that it's different enough from the 70 year old technology used in traditional automatics where it shouldn't be lumped into the auto category. This poll and Autotrader's drop down menu should have three choices instead of two. Simple as as that.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by f911
TIP S also has nothing to do with traditional automation.
The fact that there is a torque converter does not mean it is a traditional auto.
Auto This function.
The structure of the transmission system refers to a technological concept.

Both Aston Martin and AMG and more ... use torque converter and TIP S based on torque converter. That means it's traditionally automatic. No!

PDK is based on dual clutch technology. Both vw golf and passat and skoda superb vw are based on dual clutch and PDK based on dual clutch. So suddenly this is not traditional auto? (Cynically)

The traditional auto is without "manual control".

The Bottom Line. There is no Porsche Auto!
It has PDK with manual control and there is TIPTRONIC S with manual control.
It's a matter of time.
Both have 2 pedals and steering control.
One more new and one older and each one has disadvantages and advantages.

My Choice - Tiptronic S.
This is a very reliable and very powerful transmission system and most importantly, should know how to drive it!

This post is just not true. There is no such thing as AUTO.
For this reason only, I chose MT.
Tiptronic was the first with the +/- notch in the gear selector and a computer to predict the shift patterns.
Other than that it is a "traditional" automatic ie: torque converter.
It doesn't have the "feel" of a dual-clutch. Some of that "feel" can be seen as downsides (clunky at low speeds and kicks on fast up-shifts, for example)
You spend a lot of time on why the Tiptronic is special. It's old technology (although Audi and BMW are putting torque converters in cars that once had dual-clutch trans., like the S4 and M5)....

Last edited by Abe Froman; 12-04-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:14 PM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by Abe Froman
Tiptronic was the first with the +/- notch in the gear selector and a computer to predict the shift patterns.
Other than that it is a "traditional" automatic ie: torque converter.
It doesn't have the "feel" of a dual-clutch. Some of that "feel" can be seen as downsides (clunky at low speeds and kicks on fast up-shifts, for example)
You spend a lot of time on why the Tiptronic is special. It's old technology (although Audi and BMW are putting torque converters in cars that once had dual-clutch trans., like the S4 and M5)....
No matter what you write. The facts will not change. Until recently I used sports cars only with a manual transmission. And I also used PDK and DSG. You forget that the TIPTRONIC S is up to 2008. Therefore, anyone looking for 997.1 with wheel control, this is the only option. PDK did not exist at 997.1. In addition, you are wrong when you register that it is a traditional automated system. TIPTRONIC S is a light-years away from a traditional automatic transmission system. The fact that TIP S includes torque converter technology does not turn TIP S into a "traditional automatic". Do you even understand the meaning of "auto"? What is "automatic"? Unfortunately I do not think so. Here is not the place to expand at this point. By the way, even in these days, in 2018 there are SUPER CARS that still manufacture smart transmission systems based on torque converter. Any attempt to present it differently is psychological and meaningless. TIPTRONIC was previously developed by ZF and the latest version called TIPTRONIC S developed by MB and PDK which replaced them is the same idea. 2 pedals. Brain and steering control. Previously it was based in Porsche on the piston after it converts torque after this PDK. In Ferrari, there was also F1 in the past. All, 2 pedals and steering control. Everything is a matter of period at the end of the day.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,167 Likes on 3,931 Posts

OK, in reading another one of these threads on MT vs PDK vs Manual, I have come up with two definitive tests to end all of the arguing - you ready....

You sure, because it's a doozie...

If you can upshift from any lower forward gear to any higher forward gear without going through all the gears in between, you have a Manual Transmission - anything else is not a manual transmission. See this eliminates the PDK because although it can actually skip gears when downshifting (i.e. 4th straight to 2nd without a stopover in 3rd), it cannot do that when upshifting and the Tiptronic can't do it when either upshifting or downshifting and has to make a stop in each and every gear.

And for the non-believers, here's a second qualifier, if when upshifting or downshifting you can select the wrong lower or higher gear on the same side of the gate and "money shift", you have a Manual Transmission. For example, your hard accelerating through 3rd, then 4th, then when you go for 5th, you hit 3rd again or in the other direction, your downshifting from 6th to 5th, then 4th, but instead of 4th, you catch 2nd. If your car won't allow you to money shift it and destroy your motor, then you do not have a manual transmission, and although in Sport Plus mode with PDK you can log some range 1 & 2 overrevs, you can't get beyond that range and I don't think Tiptronic will log even a Range 1.

Last edited by Petza914; 12-04-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: MT vs Auto