Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Ownership.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:03 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

didn't vote. didn't see an option for PDK.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:30 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. 75/25 at this point for MT. New to Porsches but surprised. Voted. Tip here. RJ
Old 11-30-2017, 11:37 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
True, but PDK is different enough from a traditional automatic transmission that it makes a difference in acceptance by automotive enthusiasts.

If my 991 TTS had been offered with Tiptronic as the only option as opposed to PDK, then I wouldn’t have purchased it.
Originally Posted by Fined
didn't vote. didn't see an option for PDK.
It doesn’t matter how much faster, advanced, or efficient the PDK is compared to a Tiptronic, the PDK STILL IS an automatic transmission. If your car doesn’t have 3 pedals and you can put it in D and drive around while the transmission changes gears by itself, you have an automatic transmission PERIOD.

If the poll options where Manual or Tiptronic then that’s a different situation.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:35 AM
starvational
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As awesome as PDK is on the 997.2, I'm going back to manual for my next ride. I miss the 3rd pedal, rowing my own gears and the engagement...#SomeRagrets :-)

-edit- Voted manual, have PDK...didn't read the entire post like I should have..deet dee deet (assumed preference..my bad)
Old 12-01-2017, 01:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR
It doesn’t matter how much faster, advanced, or efficient the PDK is compared to a Tiptronic, the PDK STILL IS an automatic transmission. If your car doesn’t have 3 pedals and you can put it in D and drive around while the transmission changes gears by itself, you have an automatic transmission PERIOD.

If the poll options where Manual or Tiptronic then that’s a different situation.
To me that's a bit simplistic. In terms of internal components, the PDK is not an automatic transmission but a modified version of Porsche's 7 speed manual. It has exactly nothing in common with the technology of a traditional automatic. Prior to the PDK the TIP was never a consideration for me and not for most others apparently since I think TIP cars represent less than 10% of cars on the road. With the PDK introduction, that ratio was completely reversed with about 90% of 911's sold today being PDK equipped. That's why I didn't vote in this poll. Not enough choices.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:04 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

As I said above, yes, that’s true. It is an automatic gearbox. However, it gives you a different driving experience than a Tiptronic gearbox. There’s no clutch pedal, but it’s significantly different from a Tiptronic unit. If all you ever do is put the gearbox in “D” and drive it like a typical family car, then the difference is less apparent. If you push the car or use manual mode, then it’s very different.

I think the the thing that’s being missed here is that there’s much more to the Porsche driving experience than manually shifting gears. Otherwise, people would be able to get the full “sports car” experience with a Honda Civic or a Subaru Impreza with a manual transmission. So why would a person buy a Porsche if other cars with manual transmissions can be had for so much less? Perhaps there’s more to the Porsche experience than using your left foot.

Dont get me wrong - I love cars with manual transmissions and I’ve driven them since the 1980s. In some cars, I wouldn’t own an automatic transmission of any type. In some cars (my present 911 included), the PDK or similar automated gearbox makes the experience better. I can say without a doubt that my 991 TTS with PDK is more engaging, fun, and pleasant to drive than my 997 TT 6MT was.

i agree that the poll results would be different if the poll allowed for the choice of PDK or Tiptronic.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:27 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
To me that's a bit simplistic. In terms of internal components, the PDK is not an automatic transmission but a modified version of Porsche's 7 speed manual. It has exactly nothing in common with the technology of a traditional automatic. Prior to the PDK the TIP was never a consideration for me and not for most others apparently since I think TIP cars represent less than 10% of cars on the road. With the PDK introduction, that ratio was completely reversed with about 90% of 911's sold today being PDK equipped. That's why I didn't vote in this poll. Not enough choices.
My view is simplistic because it’s a simple question. Auto or manual. 3 pedals or 2 pedals. For example, if you are selling your car on Autotrader.com and the drop down menu for transmission type only has 2 options: manual or automatic, which one would you choose? This is what this poll is asking IMO.

As I said above, yes, that’s true. It is an automatic gearbox. However, it gives you a different driving experience than a Tiptronic gearbox. There’s no clutch pedal, but it’s significantly different from a Tiptronic unit. If all you ever do is put the gearbox in “D” and drive it like a typical family car, then the difference is less apparent. If you push the car or use manual mode, then it’s very different.

I think the the thing that’s being missed here is that there’s much more to the Porsche driving experience than manually shifting gears. Otherwise, people would be able to get the full “sports car” experience with a Honda Civic or a Subaru Impreza with a manual transmission. So why would a person buy a Porsche if other cars with manual transmissions can be had for so much less? Perhaps there’s more to the Porsche experience than using your left foot.

Dont get me wrong - I love cars with manual transmissions and I’ve driven them since the 1980s. In some cars, I wouldn’t own an automatic transmission of any type. In some cars (my present 911 included), the PDK or similar automated gearbox makes the experience better. I can say without a doubt that my 991 TTS with PDK is more engaging, fun, and pleasant to drive than my 997 TT 6MT was.

i agree that the poll results would be different if the poll allowed for the choice of PDK or Tiptronic.
I agree and understand what you are saying about the PDK, but the poll was just asking if it is manual or auto. I’ve driven cars with PDK and it’s truly amazing. However, I would never buy a car with PDK because I don’t like cars with automatic transmissions
Old 12-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I agree and understand what you are saying about the PDK, but the poll was just asking if it is manual or auto. I’ve driven cars with PDK and it’s truly amazing. However, I would never buy a car with PDK because I don’t like cars with automatic transmissions
I totally get it.

I'm in the process of shopping for an older Porsche, and one that's on my list is a 968. For that car, I won't buy an automatic transmission and I won't buy a cabriolet.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:24 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Results will be inconclusive if some consider PDK a "manual." I hate seeing dealer websites list PDK as a "manual transmission."

Question should be "manual or Tip/PDK?' eliminating subjectivity and discussions about why PDK is not an automatic. It may not be, but it's also not a manual regardless of how internal gizmos operate.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:28 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have both, 997 is MT and 981 is PDK. I regret getting the 981 in PDK, it's nice, shifts fast but since it spends 99% of the time on the road wished I had a MT.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:02 PM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
​​​​​​​TIP S also has nothing to do with traditional automation.
The fact that there is a torque converter does not mean it is a traditional auto.
Auto This function.
The structure of the transmission system refers to a technological concept.

Both Aston Martin and AMG and more ... use torque converter and TIP S based on torque converter. That means it's traditionally automatic. No!

PDK is based on dual clutch technology. Both vw golf and passat and skoda superb vw are based on dual clutch and PDK based on dual clutch. So suddenly this is not traditional auto? (Cynically)

The traditional auto is without "manual control".

The Bottom Line. There is no Porsche Auto!
It has PDK with manual control and there is TIPTRONIC S with manual control.
It's a matter of time.
Both have 2 pedals and steering control.
One more new and one older and each one has disadvantages and advantages.

My Choice - Tiptronic S.
This is a very reliable and very powerful transmission system and most importantly, should know how to drive it!

This post is just not true. There is no such thing as AUTO.
For this reason only, I chose MT.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

That was confusing.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:14 PM
f911
Racer

You are wrong and deceptive and you see that you never drove in 997 TIPTRONIC S ..
Be sure, on the runway, a driver with TIP S gears in manual mode faster than you on MT.
On paper only. TIP S mode D is slow drop from MT. But this is D (automatic) mode. I agree that it is quite disappointing in D mode, especially without Chrono Sport.
In manual mode with Chrono Sport the story is completely different.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:35 PM
f911
Racer

That was confusing.

​​​​​​​Sorry Dennis
It just infuriates me, that some people buy PDK and they think they bought MT.

MT is not similar to PDK
MT is not similar to TIP S

The fact that the internal structure of the PDK is similar to a manual burner. So what? LOL

TIP S and PDK Both have automatic option and manual option. And both, 2 pedals and steering control.

The technology they are based on is different. Right. But it has nothing to do with traditional automation. It is related to technological approach and period.

There are many car companies that believe in torque converter technology and there are companies that believe in dual clutch.

Tomorrow, Porsche will decide that they are using a transmission system with AMG SpeedShift MCT technology.
and then? What would they guys say? PDK this ****. Transmission system is unreliable. perishable. Sliding after 60,000 km Do you understand why I'm upset?

Quick Reply: MT vs Auto