Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Southern California guys go to a performance driving school?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 09:24 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Any Southern California guys go to a performance driving school?

If you did, which one and where?

Just recently got my first Porsche and figured it would be a good idea to get some professional driving help. RJ
Old 11-26-2017, 09:55 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You should go to the Porsche Driving Experience school in Carson that's been open about a year now. We're lucky to have that nearby!
Old 11-26-2017, 10:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
You should go to the Porsche Driving Experience school in Carson that's been open about a year now. We're lucky to have that nearby!

Agreed! Do that.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:44 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

My brother teaches at the Carson center - still trying to get a free pass!!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:24 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Does your local PCA chapter offer s DE school? If not, try the San Diego Region's school. Can't recommend it highly enough!
Old 11-27-2017, 09:58 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Alfa owners club (AROSC) has a good school that I attended probably a decade or so ago go. You use your own car, and I learned a lot. I need to do another one one of these days.

i think they just had one a few weeks ago, so it may be a few months until they hold the next one.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:31 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cringely
Does your local PCA chapter offer s DE school? If not, try the San Diego Region's school. Can't recommend it highly enough!
Thanks, I'll check.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:46 AM
Appraiser
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out motorsportsreg.com for all sorts of track day activity going on. I've attended HPDE's with Orange Coast and San Diego PCA chapters and they were very professional, safe and fun - I'm looking forward to several more in 2018. Porsche Owners Club (POC) also provides instructors for first time driver/students. If you're new to performance driving in general, a great way to dip your feet into the sport is through autocross - these are low speed car control events where you slalom through traffic cones, typically in a large parking lot. Walters Riverside Porsche provides free pre-race tech inspections for PCA members, but be sure to be courteous and book in advance for an open time slot, other places do this for members as well, you can also get teched on the day of but if you're unfamiliar with what's required to run the car at high speeds for the day, best leave it to a pro to tell you before the day of.

My $$$ suggestions before any event; flush your brake fluid for a higher temperature fluid; Motul RBF600 is a great product (~$50). If you're DIY inclined, a fast bleeder (Motive power bleeder $45) is awesome and makes the process relatively pain free, if you aren't DIY confident then any shop can do it for a modest fee. A quality tire pressure gauge ($50) is good to have when lowering your tire pressure throughout the day. A good helmet is required ($99 - $1,999) and I highly suggest you try several out in person before buying one. There are only so many helmet shell shapes and our domes are all different, it's imperative you get something that is snug but doesn't create hard pressure points, being comfortable is being safe. I like a good set of gloves ($99) and shoes ($99), too, for the feel on the pedals and to eliminate sweating palms on the steering wheel. I run a CG lock ($50) on my seat belt to help keep me snugly in but doing the pre-lock/chair slide trick works 90% as well and it's free.

Add in some sunscreen, shades, a few gallons of water, a folding chair, an extra quart of engine oil and you're in for a good time. If I see ya at any events coming up - I'll be sure to say hello.

Cheers,
Colin
Old 11-28-2017, 02:07 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Appraiser
Check out motorsportsreg.com for all sorts of track day activity going on. I've attended HPDE's with Orange Coast and San Diego PCA chapters and they were very professional, safe and fun - I'm looking forward to several more in 2018. Porsche Owners Club (POC) also provides instructors for first time driver/students. If you're new to performance driving in general, a great way to dip your feet into the sport is through autocross - these are low speed car control events where you slalom through traffic cones, typically in a large parking lot. Walters Riverside Porsche provides free pre-race tech inspections for PCA members, but be sure to be courteous and book in advance for an open time slot, other places do this for members as well, you can also get teched on the day of but if you're unfamiliar with what's required to run the car at high speeds for the day, best leave it to a pro to tell you before the day of.

My $$$ suggestions before any event; flush your brake fluid for a higher temperature fluid; Motul RBF600 is a great product (~$50). If you're DIY inclined, a fast bleeder (Motive power bleeder $45) is awesome and makes the process relatively pain free, if you aren't DIY confident then any shop can do it for a modest fee. A quality tire pressure gauge ($50) is good to have when lowering your tire pressure throughout the day. A good helmet is required ($99 - $1,999) and I highly suggest you try several out in person before buying one. There are only so many helmet shell shapes and our domes are all different, it's imperative you get something that is snug but doesn't create hard pressure points, being comfortable is being safe. I like a good set of gloves ($99) and shoes ($99), too, for the feel on the pedals and to eliminate sweating palms on the steering wheel. I run a CG lock ($50) on my seat belt to help keep me snugly in but doing the pre-lock/chair slide trick works 90% as well and it's free.

Add in some sunscreen, shades, a few gallons of water, a folding chair, an extra quart of engine oil and you're in for a good time. If I see ya at any events coming up - I'll be sure to say hello.

Cheers,
Colin
Thanks, very good advice. RJ
Old 11-28-2017, 08:04 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+ 1 on the San Diego PDS. It's a chalkboard session followed by 2 days of driving in the Qualcomm Stadium (errrr... SDCCU Stadium) parking lot. You lean skills on the first day and autocross on the 2nd, with trained instructors teaching you in a safe environment. I think it's around $400.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:48 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Just take a spin after the first rain....that’s a performance driving experience.

PDE in Carson is great, I’ve flogged a few 911’s there.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:30 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

PCA DE events I have attended around Los Angeles have been great. Alpha Romeo club was also great. Also Oculus Rift and Assetto Corsa as simulator works great too haha :-)
Old 11-28-2017, 11:44 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
Just take a spin after the first rain....that’s a performance driving experience.

PDE in Carson is great, I’ve flogged a few 911’s there.
Both sound great.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:29 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Appraiser
Check out motorsportsreg.com for all sorts of track day activity going on. . Porsche Owners Club (POC) also provides instructors for first time driver/students.
Yup agree with this too. Also, the POC is having a special right now on a free track day (including the instructor) if you join the club.

Quick Reply: Any Southern California guys go to a performance driving school?