Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aerokit or Sport Classic look on 997 GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 07:00 AM
Clubber
Racer

Received 451 Likes on 98 Posts
Question Aerokit or Sport Classic look on 997 GTS?

Hello everyone,

After owning many BMW M cars for over 20 years, I've finally decided to jump to the Porsche game as I always thought it could be the only other brand for me.
Next week, I am taking delivery of a Carrara White 2011 997.2 GTS with only 8k miles. I am super excited to say the least.

As with all my M cars, I plan to add my personal touches to the car as I simply can't drive anything stock. Nothing major yet enough to make my own.
I've been planning to get the oem aerokit which is made of a front lip and 997.1 gt3 wing as you all know very well BUT I'm torn between this or the sport classic look. Which is also a different front lip and a ducktail.

OEM aerokit is the classy and fitting choice but I feel driving the GTS with a giant wing in the back could be a little "posing" for its daily duties and SC look is much more understated yet purposeful.
However, SC look on a non-sc could very well be considered "wannabe" too. BTW, if I went with SC look, I would wrap the car SC grey too but of course sticking with GTS badges.

Photos of each,

as you can see, I'm still undecided. What would you all recommend ?
Old 11-22-2017, 07:15 AM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

+1for the Sport Classic!
Old 11-22-2017, 09:02 AM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

+2 for Sport Classic.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:08 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

That top car almost looks like chalk. I ordered my 991.2 in chalk and I love that color. What color is that top picture?

I love the aero kit and sports design both. In person, the aero kit looks killer on a black car with a lowered suspension. The duck tail is cool as well, but in person I the aero kit cars look the part to me much more than the sports design look which I see quit a few of on 991s.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:44 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I've been planning to get the oem aerokit which is made of a front lip and 997.1 gt3 wing as you all know very well
The OEM wing of the GT-3 and the OEM Aerokit, is not the same thing. They are different. Plus the OEM Aerokit bumper for the 997.2 and the OEM GT3 bumper are not the same thing. It's not just the lip. Trust me, I have looked at all of it trying to track down a 997.2 OEM aerokit and bumper. The GT-3 items are very different. You can't get the OEM aerokit wings anymore. Porsche needs ato make a few batches of them.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:08 PM
Clubber
Racer

Originally Posted by DC911S
The OEM wing of the GT-3 and the OEM Aerokit, is not the same thing. They are different. Plus the OEM Aerokit bumper for the 997.2 and the OEM GT3 bumper are not the same thing. It's not just the lip. Trust me, I have looked at all of it trying to track down a 997.2 OEM aerokit and bumper. The GT-3 items are very different. You can't get the OEM aerokit wings anymore. Porsche needs ato make a few batches of them.
I only meant the rear wing to be same of the 997.1 gt3. There maybe minor differences though.
Front lip is only for the aerokit cars which the GTS already has. So in my case, I wouldn’t be needing the bumper, just the lip.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:14 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd recommend no wing. I just think it is too much for any car other than a GT3. Even if I got a GT3, I'd get the touring package (without wing) as I'd plan on use the car mostly off the track. The wing looks cool and it is functional but, I just feel it is too loud. Just my opinion.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Sport classic.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:28 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by love2drive
I'd recommend no wing. I just think it is too much for any car other than a GT3. Even if I got a GT3, I'd get the touring package (without wing) as I'd plan on use the car mostly off the track. The wing looks cool and it is functional but, I just feel it is too loud. Just my opinion.
+1
Old 11-22-2017, 03:17 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I only meant the rear wing to be same of the 997.1 gt3
The GT-3 and OEM Aerokit wing, are not the same. That leads to the airbox as well, they will not match up. You need a GT3 airbox to match the GT3 wing, the OEM aerokit wing can use the S airbox. It's not just the wing, it's the wing and decklid on a GT3 has to match the airbox.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:13 PM
Clubber
Racer

Thank you all for your input.
I now know gt3 and aerokit have different wings and decklids.

Sport Classic looks to be the main choice, interesting. I thought purists here would call that a blasphemy
Old 11-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Both looks are terrific. Great thing about Porsche stewardship is there are so many great looks to go with to fit your personality and your own personal look, performance and use. There was a guy awhile ago that did his own interpretation of the Classic with a GT3 rear bumper and center exhaust in black with gold wheels that looked dynamite. Congratulations on your acquisition and have fun with personalizing your car.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:47 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by love2drive
+1. But this is as subjective as "which is the best color". To me, the GT3/aerokit wing always looked like a park bench mounted on the decklid. Very disruptive to the flow of the rear end of the car. For a car that spends a lot of time on the track, whole different story but for street use, the less wing the better for my likes.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:49 AM
MJTSUB
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your purchase! I own a C4GTS and I was considering the same things.

Originally I was gung ho about the rear aero spoiler and the more I looked at the lines of the car the harder it was for me to like it. I love the look of the aero kit rear spoiler from the behind the car but 3/4 views at eye level and other shots left me thinking I should leave the back alone. Glad I did. The ducktail of the speedster is nice but I still like how wide the rear looks without any wing or tail distraction. Give it some time to stare at it.

I wound up doing the aero kit front lip and it looks awesome on my H&R lowered car but I will tell you that unless the pavement is super smooth with small transitions you might rub the front dead center of the lip on a lowered car. I've caught mine a few times and I've had several M Cars that were lowered on coilers and had aggressive splitters that I never rubbed. The front center part of the aero lip just sticks out and is lower to the ground. Just food for thought.

I've recently thought about the speedster lip to gain a little more clearance in the center but at this point I'm going to stay with the aero lip because it looks so good to me.

Last edited by MJTSUB; 11-23-2017 at 12:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-23-2017, 07:18 AM
Clubber
Racer

Great inputs everyone, thank you.

I'm slowly walking away from aero rear wing too. Stock or ducktail seems more fitting to those timeless lines of the 911.

Now, which ducktail is another question Full decklid or stick on over the grilles (flying) ?

Front will be painting the stock bumper lip first and work my way from there.

Quick Reply: Aerokit or Sport Classic look on 997 GTS?