Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aerokit or Sport Classic look on 997 GTS?

Old 11-23-2017, 09:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Full ducktail or active aero wing from a TT
Old 11-23-2017, 11:39 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I like the Sport Classic as well....this is a Getty Sport Duck.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:14 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Good dilemma to have, friend. And congrats on joining the GTS club. I went through the same decision process as you and I like the pragmatic approach. I track the car and need functional downforce (or at least lift reduction) so I added the the OEM aerokit after taking delivery of my non-aerokit GTS. I lucked out that they were still available and being made. It was bolt on and painless. I also played around with the ducktail but at the time, Porsche was not selling the Sport Classic ducktail to non SC owners. I've heard that hasn't changed, but didn't want to deal with fit and finish issues of aftermarket. However, since Porsche stopped making the Aerokit, in your case, either way, you'll be dealing with aftermarket decklids and wings.

From a quality standpoint, the ducktail looks easier to make in comparison to the aerokit so you'll likely have an easier time fitting and finishing an aftermarket ducktail. Even better if you find a used one that just needs a repaint.

IMO, for a street only car no wing or duck is the way to go. For a car that's tracked you need that wing out back. Even though I love it and will likely get one when I convert my GTS back to a street-only car, the ducktail is a throwback vanity mod and nothing more. To even out the rest of the 'look' if you add a ducktail, you'll need to modify the car to be a slightly aggressive street car (which looks like you are comfortable considering). The real SC had a more aggressive front bumper cover, modified front lip, modified rear bumper cover, modified exhaust tips, modified headlights, custom wheels, a double bubble roof and racing stripes. It was meant to stand out.

So if you want to add that ducktail, you need to be comfortable modifying the car to be a bit more aggressive or it will look like a tacked on body piece and not 'part of the car'.

One man's opinion.

Have fun any way you go!
Old 01-04-2018, 02:39 PM
Clubber
Racer

Received 451 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Good dilemma to have, friend. And congrats on joining the GTS club. I went through the same decision process as you and I like the pragmatic approach. I track the car and need functional downforce (or at least lift reduction) so I added the the OEM aerokit after taking delivery of my non-aerokit GTS. I lucked out that they were still available and being made. It was bolt on and painless. I also played around with the ducktail but at the time, Porsche was not selling the Sport Classic ducktail to non SC owners. I've heard that hasn't changed, but didn't want to deal with fit and finish issues of aftermarket. However, since Porsche stopped making the Aerokit, in your case, either way, you'll be dealing with aftermarket decklids and wings.

From a quality standpoint, the ducktail looks easier to make in comparison to the aerokit so you'll likely have an easier time fitting and finishing an aftermarket ducktail. Even better if you find a used one that just needs a repaint.

IMO, for a street only car no wing or duck is the way to go. For a car that's tracked you need that wing out back. Even though I love it and will likely get one when I convert my GTS back to a street-only car, the ducktail is a throwback vanity mod and nothing more. To even out the rest of the 'look' if you add a ducktail, you'll need to modify the car to be a slightly aggressive street car (which looks like you are comfortable considering). The real SC had a more aggressive front bumper cover, modified front lip, modified rear bumper cover, modified exhaust tips, modified headlights, custom wheels, a double bubble roof and racing stripes. It was meant to stand out.

So if you want to add that ducktail, you need to be comfortable modifying the car to be a bit more aggressive or it will look like a tacked on body piece and not 'part of the car'.

One man's opinion.

Have fun any way you go!
Sorry, I just saw this.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I think I decided on the ductail finally. It looks amazing on some angles and tacky on others but overall, it will be a nice addition I guess.
I also ordered the SC front lip as it is a direct fit to GTS front bumper. So, she will pretty much look like a white SC without fancy rear bumper and bubble roof
Old 01-04-2018, 03:03 PM
Russ21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubber
Great inputs everyone, thank you.

I'm slowly walking away from aero rear wing too. Stock or ducktail seems more fitting to those timeless lines of the 911.

Now, which ducktail is another question Full decklid or stick on over the grilles (flying) ?

Front will be painting the stock bumper lip first and work my way from there.
IMO the rear of the car looks a bit boring with out wing, if your undecided it means you want the wing (I've had both and will never have one without the wing again)
Just make sure it's original you'll pay a bit more but it will hold its value better
Old 01-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Clubber
Racer

Originally Posted by Russ21
IMO the rear of the car looks a bit boring with out wing, if your undecided it means you want the wing (I've had both and will never have one without the wing again)
Just make sure it's original you'll pay a bit more but it will hold its value better
Thanks. Getty seems like the default choice as OEM SC tail is unobtanium.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:03 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
That top car almost looks like chalk. I ordered my 991.2 in chalk and I love that color. What color is that top picture?
Sport Classic Grey
Old 01-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Jedi
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the sport Classic wheels on my meteor grey Turbo, I love the look, sold the wheels to a friend after I sold the Turbo. Great looking wheels but with the 2011 Turbo S with center locks they wouldn’t work, my friend put them on his black 2003 GT3, they look great on his car.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:34 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubber
Sorry, I just saw this.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I think I decided on the ductail finally. It looks amazing on some angles and tacky on others but overall, it will be a nice addition I guess.
I also ordered the SC front lip as it is a direct fit to GTS front bumper. So, she will pretty much look like a white SC without fancy rear bumper and bubble roof
Very cool and I know we'll get some great pics afterward!
As a suggestion to clone the SC even more you could add black vinyl rings to the headlights to mimic the SC look.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:55 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Bad **** Porsches are meant to have big tails. Been that way every since the first 930 way back in 1975.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:26 AM
Clubber
Racer

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Very cool and I know we'll get some great pics afterward!
As a suggestion to clone the SC even more you could add black vinyl rings to the headlights to mimic the SC look.
Yes, was considering those. Also, black mirror base.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:26 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Bad **** Porsches are meant to have big tails. Been that way every since the first 930 way back in 1975.
Yup. people have been putting turbo wings on their 911's since the dawn of time. A 997 TT tail was the best solution for me as I had done it on my previous 911 and I wasnt drawn to any of the offered wings.
But in the end, its your car do what makes you happy. BTW, that chalk color is amazing.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:34 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Yup. people have been putting turbo wings on their 911's since the dawn of time. A 997 TT tail was the best solution for me as I had done it on my previous 911 and I wasnt drawn to any of the offered wings.
But in the end, its your car do what makes you happy. BTW, that chalk color is amazing.
Yup, my incoming is chalk. Excited to see.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:49 AM
TheLex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I love the 997.2 GT3-RS wing. But that piece is a lot of $ and then you have to do the front end as well. Nevertheless, IMO that's a bad *** look.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 AM
Clubber
Racer

Originally Posted by TheLex
Personally I love the 997.2 GT3-RS wing. But that piece is a lot of $ and then you have to do the front end as well. Nevertheless, IMO that's a bad *** look.
We all probably love RS parts but tbh, they look the best if the car came with it. Not added later on.
You can getaway with a few aero and sc parts here and there but for me that's the end of my wannabe attempts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aerokit or Sport Classic look on 997 GTS?