997.1tt or 997.2 pdk???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 02:34 PM
gt4addict
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1tt or 997.2 pdk???

997.1tt tiptronic or 997.2 pdk
need help to choose, which one is better all around and can hold better value down the road.

i'm also concerned maintenance costs.

both have the same price, which one you choose? i heard the tip on 997.1 tt is very sluggish?

i own 987.2 pdk now,

thanks
Old 11-21-2017, 03:14 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

If you own the PDK you know how excellent it is, I drove these transmissions back to back recently and while the tiptronic is fine, it's nowhere near as crisp or responsive, however these cars your comparing are very different, and while we don't have crystal ball handy, the turbo will certainly be more desirable "down the road".

As for which is better, that is not up to us to decide for you, I am not a fan of the turbo not because of the power, I prefer 2WD over 4WD, but it's highly subjective subject. Take a look at the 997TT forum and see the common problems in there.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:57 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 997.2

997.2 with PDK is simply awesome
Old 11-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

PDK is better but I would pick the Turbo. The torque is awesome and you have a Mezger motor!
Old 11-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,167 Likes on 3,931 Posts

Without the Tiptronic factor, Turbo, hands down. With a Tiptronic in the Turbo, 997.2 PDK... the Tip changes the way the car drives that much. Find a turbo with a 6-speed.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:06 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

At the risk of sounding different, I think that you ought to give a serious thought to why you want a 911 and how you will use it.
Your answer will dictate your choice, simple as that. If you don't track, participate in DE or in autoX, there is nowhere
to really use the power of either car to the fullest. Now if you are part of the "mine is bigger than yours" crowd, ( not dissing them),
then the choice is obvious. No matter what you choose, it will have to be better than your Boxster/Cayman, not a small task as there are some
who contend that they are better than the 911. Nice quandary to be in though.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:40 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Tiptronics probably won't hold the value like a manual 997.1
The 997.2 gen may be a future classic and PDK isn't much of a hindrance
Old 11-22-2017, 06:38 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Depends on your use I'd say. Generally I think Turbo is the BEST STREET CAR to own, due to Torque at any gear and overall availability of power without downshifting, revving up the engine. PDK kinda mitigates that with fast shifting but you simply can't beat the Torque. Now, in terms of long-terms, we're seeing some PDK issues here or there causing some concern, as unfortunately they cannot be repaired and a single failed sensor could cost you $10K+ for full PDK replacement.

Tip is NOT loved by Porsche enthusiasts, but when I drove a Tip Turbo, I was so surprised how well it mated the TT engine (even has faster 0-60 than manual)... so, I'd say it will be harder to resell in a few years, BUT it will probably be bullet proof transmission with low maintenance. Secondly, the Turbo engine is Mezger BULLETPROOF, someone did 600K miles on 996 Turbo/Tip with almost no issues... 997.2 engine is run of mill and long-term reliability not known yet with some carbon deposit (DFI) inevitable.

At the end of the day, I'd drive both and pick the car with the best features that match what you like (Turbos usually optioned much better). Can't go wrong with either. Here's how I'd rate them:

- Turbo: Rarer, more torque/power, better for street, much better engine, worse transmission, but less maintenance over lifetime, probably better optioned, BUT missing 997.2 electronics
- .2 PDK: Much more common, PDK better than Tip, but PDK failure is very very costly, engine unproven in long-term, carbon deposits will be something to look at in long-term, better electronics
Old 11-23-2017, 01:28 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 259 Posts

I would pick the 997.2 PDK. Better transmission and electronics.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:58 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you need to decide what kind of a 911 you want to drive, as there is a big difference in the way a Carrera, a Turbo and a GT drives. I'd say that a Turbo prioritises speed, and a Carrera is more about the handling. I would wonder about maintenance as the 3.6 twin turbo is a little more complicated, and I wouldn't want to have to replace the turbos if they were starved of oil for example. On the other hand the 3.6TT is certainly easier to modify for more power than an NA engine.

My colleague drove a 9971 turbo/tip and it was scary fast - at least from the passenger seat - but given the same budget I went for a 9972 PDK and we parked next to each other, both very happy in our choices.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:34 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's just amazing every time anew.
gt4addict, I would suggest driving both and deciding.
Everything is excellent and these are completely different vehicles.
Mezger motor is one of the most reliable engines in the world (used in GT1).
Completely different from an atmospheric engine (for better or for worse).

About the gear system. Each has advantages and disadvantages:
Personally, I was looking for just a TIPTRONIC S or a manual transmission system (first priority).
I came to this conclusion after hearing many stories (unpleasant) from people I know personally + a lot of reading.

The first question you have to ask yourself is, are you looking for steering wheel control or gear **** and for what?

Regarding TIPTRONIC S and TIPTRONIC in general:
Porsche enthusiasts - Love Tiptronic! All the years. Including 964, 993, 996 and 997. Included in RENNLINS.
This is a very reliable and powerful transmission system and you should know how to drive TIPTRONIC S.
Many people write things down and never used TIPTRONIC S.

You should learn to drive TIPTRONIC S. It is harder to learn to drive TIPTRONIC S than PDK, which does most of the work in a computerized manner. Includes launch control.
A manual transmission system is a completely different story. Just another style.
I do not want to denigrate the PDK and think it's a great transmission. (Still with "birth pains").
TIPTRONIC S on 997TT is faster in any situation. And if it is used in manual mode, it is very enjoyable and challenging. Also Porsche enthusiasts and in track.

I do not understand how people write here on the one hand PDK which is also with 2 pedals and control steering wheel, and two, defamatory, for nothing TIPTRONIC S. Simply shame!

For "second hand" and commercialization of a vehicle with TIPTRONIC S.
This is nonsense from the "land of nonsense."
All the sales transactions I have encountered over the last 5 years. TIPTRONIC S is sold at the price of a manual transmission system (more or less).
In addition, I have at home more than 100 magazine of Porsche, fifteen years back:
911 & PORSCHE
GTPORSCHE
TURBO PORSCHE
CHRISTOPHORUS
EXCELLENCE
TOTAL911
In all of them, prices of thousands of porsche of all years, both TIPTRONIC and manual transmission system have not found that there are gaps in prices.
It all depends on the condition of the vehicle.
TIPTRONIC S will be worth gold in the future

Successfully

Quick Reply: 997.1tt or 997.2 pdk???