Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs PS 4S - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs PS 4S

Old 01-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Doug H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Destin, Nashville, In a 430 Challenge at location near you

Got 4S on 2 cars right now and have used PS and PS2s for years on too many different cars to count both on and off the track.

I cannot discern any grip difference whatsoever driving around town. Can you? Are you doing skid pad simulations in parking lots? Just curious where people are feeling differences which would seem only perceptible at the limits and even then perhaps not something you could feel by the seat of your pants unless you do a butt load of high performance on track driving and have become sensitive to very subtle cues.

Unless you are going to a bunch of HPDEs, price point or perhaps tread width and weight would be the dictating factors. Both are great tires and would give the same level of performance for wet and dry driving on public streets.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:13 PM
mk85911
User

I am considering a set of four MPSS, but I'm concerned that in a couple of years, when I have to replace only the rear tires, Michelin will have stopped producing the MPSS, and I'll be forced to do four new tires again. Anyone know how long the MPSS will be around?
Old 01-13-2018, 12:21 PM
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mk85911
I am considering a set of four MPSS, but I'm concerned that in a couple of years, when I have to replace only the rear tires, Michelin will have stopped producing the MPSS, and I'll be forced to do four new tires again. Anyone know how long the MPSS will be around?
Valid question. While I'm no advocate of mixing and matching tires, I don't think it would be a very big deal. For example; having older MPSS on the front and two new MP4Ss on the rear.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:19 PM
WantA997
Addict
Rennlist Member

Reassuring to hear the positive feedback re: 4S. Just ordered a set for my new BBS wheels.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:55 PM
Doug H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Destin, Nashville, In a 430 Challenge at location near you

Originally Posted by LexVan View Post
Valid question. While I'm no advocate of mixing and matching tires, I don't think it would be a very big deal. For example; having older MPSS on the front and two new MP4Ss on the rear.
I agree. Mixing SS and 4S on rear is less troublesome to me than having fronts with 15k or so with new rears, but I have been guilty of that as well from time to time on cars seeing only street use.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:24 PM
MGuns
User

@ Clubber- I think I read on another forum that the rating should have happened already. I do know that when I ordered my tires in August the tire specific page on Michelin's site featured a Porsche. That site has now changed as I tried to get a screen capture for this post. I can tell you that roads in New Orleans are really , REALLY bad and that as a DD I have not wondered a minute about these tires on my P car in either normal conditions or the monsoon rains we get down here.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:17 PM
ADias
Addict
Rennlist Member

I doubt that the N-rating will be available for 19" rims and 997 sizes, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:11 PM
MGuns
User

point well made on the specific sizing. 2018 tires probably wont care about 2005 MY requirements.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs PS 4S

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: