Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs PS 4S

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 04:43 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
I am curious to know which street tire is as good or better in the dry than PS2 ....also have similar or less noise level ..... any ideas ?
Extreme performance tires like Potenza RE-11 or RE-71R, those will wear quicker though and no idea about noise. Or you can go crazy with track tires that are streetable like PZero Corsa, Pilot Sport Cup, or Dunlo Sport Maxx Race.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:56 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I would say many RL are running PSS, not PS2s, since the Super Sports replaced the PS2s.

In general, I'd say Michellin are great tires, but as they have made them last longer (PSS and the new PS4S), less expensive, and gave them better wet traction performance, they have lost some of their dry traction performance (like the PS2).

Here's some recent info:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...m-reviews.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1033...chelin-4s.html
PSS have not replaced PS2s. Many folks have gone to PSS from PS2s because they are cheaper. Some fell they are superior but others commented about them being a bit "greasy" and I have read in some cases about blowouts ( but I am not sure about the exact circumstances). PSS have no N rating. I wonder if the PS4s will.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:37 PM
Reedy26
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Extreme performance tires like Potenza RE-11 or RE-71R, those will wear quicker though and no idea about noise. Or you can go crazy with track tires that are streetable like PZero Corsa, Pilot Sport Cup, or Dunlo Sport Maxx Race.
This. I personally LOVE the RE-71R's and will probably replace my Michelins with them when the time comes.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:24 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
PSS have not replaced PS2s. Many folks have gone to PSS from PS2s because they are cheaper. Some fell they are superior but others commented about them being a bit "greasy" and I have read in some cases about blowouts ( but I am not sure about the exact circumstances). PSS have no N rating. I wonder if the PS4s will.
I went to PSSs because they were supposed to be all around better than the PS2s... at least that what was the word back then. I loved the PSSs. Now I have the S4s and I think I am the only one on the planet that likes the PSSs better.... but that is just me. BTW, I have come down to the simple approach that any Michelin product is good... I don't even analyze much anymore.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-22-2017, 06:17 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I went to PSSs because they were supposed to be all around better than the PS2s... at least that what was the word back then. I loved the PSSs. Now I have the S4s and I think I am the only one on the planet that likes the PSSs better.... but that is just me. BTW, I have come down to the simple approach that any Michelin product is good... I don't even analyze much anymore.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
What is your problem with PS4? I have a weird sense that it maybe a cheaper product than PSS. Some are made in France, some US, some other places. PS2 was always Made in France, and I think PSS in our sizes was also only Made in France.

BTW, last night I was driving in extreme rain and PSS was great even with low thread, that's one area that PSS is definitely superior to PS2.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:21 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reedy26
This. I personally LOVE the RE-71R's and will probably replace my Michelins with them when the time comes.
Yeah looks like a great dry/track tire. I drive in quite a rainy city otherwise I'd be switching to those too.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:29 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last edited by phaphaphooey; 05-17-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:50 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 860 Posts

What is your problem with PS4? I have a weird sense that it maybe a cheaper product than PSS. Some are made in France, some US, some other places. PS2 was always Made in France, and I think PSS in our sizes was also only Made in France.

BTW, last night I was driving in extreme rain and PSS was great even with low thread, that's one area that PSS is definitely superior to PS2.
I think the sidewalls are softer... the tires are more squishy than the PSS tires .... I liked the tracking of the PSS better. Everything else is pretty the same to me... but I have not tracked the car.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-23-2017, 03:52 PM
alvinl
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a bit confused. I think some of u got it all mixed up.

ps4 is not ps4s. ps4s is the new model.

I had the PSS and replaced it with 4s. night and day difference much better all around.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by alvinl

I had the PSS and replaced it with 4s. night and day difference much better all around.

Correct! There's Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Very different. The Pilot Sport 4S is the one to get.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:50 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alvinl

I think we all refer to ps4s, confusing naming but that's the only tire available in our sizes. Also, reviews are mixed (see above).

Interestingly, the PS4 is the only N-rated one but not available for our cars (should be a 991 OEM tire), PS4S is NOT N-rated while having sizes for our cars.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:08 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we all refer to ps4s, confusing naming but that's the only tire available in our sizes. Also, reviews are mixed (see above).

Interestingly, the PS4 is the only N-rated one but not available for our cars (should be a 991 OEM tire), PS4S is NOT N-rated while having sizes for our cars.
Yes, apparently I need to be more specific. I have the 4S summer tires.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:59 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Approximately 6k miles ago, I replaced a well used (& enjoyed!) set of Michelin MPSS (235/35r19 & 305/30r19) tires with the same size Michelin MPS4S tires.

Under all of my driving conditions (primarily twisty NorCal coastal runs and the unfortunately un-occasional run over and east of the Sierra or Cascades), these tires have performed flawlessly and are far & above better than the MPSS tires that they replaced.

I withheld judgement for a while because I wanted to gauge wear before commenting (while price isn't the highest priority, it is important).

After 6k miles, wear in the rear is at 8-5/32" (new 9-5/32") so I'd say that confirms my feelings of the tires when they were first being broken in during late last winter / early spring & no amount of slickness or poor road conditions could upset the chassis; in all conditions, the curves (& exits) all came (and vanished!) just a tad quicker. To say the least, this model is confidence building!

As Wayne Smith said/asked after a spirited drive (at ~1k on the new tread & further confirming what my butt was saying): "you're pretty confident in those tires!?!?!"

Yup, they are very sure-footed and highly responsive while providing great feedback and a sense of stickiness (especially in the wet); they perform highly competently in all conditions and over numerous types of roads. While the North Bay slick roads are what I like the most (but don't practice enough on), the 7.2 4s also seems more connected on dry roads (although this 911 model would be highly competent on bald anything tread!)

The MPS4S feel wider than the MPSS but I have not compared the data. I didn't do a visual comparison (MPSS v MPS4S) but I will the next time I see Wayne (who still has very useable MPSS tread) as there must be something going on with the differences in the tread design as well as the compound???

To say the least, I'm looking forward to wearing these new shoes down another 6k...the following pic was from a recent roll here with these two bums!

The following users liked this post:
Mitty (11-30-2019)
Old 12-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Clubber
Racer

Received 451 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by david
Approximately 6k miles ago, I replaced a well used (& enjoyed!) set of Michelin MPSS (235/35r19 & 305/30r19) tires with the same size Michelin MPS4S tires.

Under all of my driving conditions (primarily twisty NorCal coastal runs and the unfortunately un-occasional run over and east of the Sierra or Cascades), these tires have performed flawlessly and are far & above better than the MPSS tires that they replaced.

I withheld judgement for a while because I wanted to gauge wear before commenting (while price isn't the highest priority, it is important).

After 6k miles, wear in the rear is at 8-5/32" (new 9-5/32") so I'd say that confirms my feelings of the tires when they were first being broken in during late last winter / early spring & no amount of slickness or poor road conditions could upset the chassis; in all conditions, the curves (& exits) all came (and vanished!) just a tad quicker. To say the least, this model is confidence building!

As Wayne Smith said/asked after a spirited drive (at ~1k on the new tread & further confirming what my butt was saying): "you're pretty confident in those tires!?!?!"

Yup, they are very sure-footed and highly responsive while providing great feedback and a sense of stickiness (especially in the wet); they perform highly competently in all conditions and over numerous types of roads. While the North Bay slick roads are what I like the most (but don't practice enough on), the 7.2 4s also seems more connected on dry roads (although this 911 model would be highly competent on bald anything tread!)

The MPS4S feel wider than the MPSS but I have not compared the data. I didn't do a visual comparison (MPSS v MPS4S) but I will the next time I see Wayne (who still has very useable MPSS tread) as there must be something going on with the differences in the tread design as well as the compound???

To say the least, I'm looking forward to wearing these new shoes down another 6k...the following pic was from a recent roll here with these two bums!
Thank you for that insightful review. PS4S is the way to go it seems. Which is what I am trying to get but both my dealer and porsche friends strongly advices agains non-N rated tire

Please excuse the newbie question BUT is it any problem of these tire not being N rated ? Some people are really obsessed with N(0) thing. Or is it mostly marketing ?
In other words, have you at any time felt like the tire wasn't a correct fit to the car ?
Old 12-12-2017, 03:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubber
Please excuse the newbie question BUT is it any problem of these tire not being N rated ? Some people are really obsessed with N(0) thing. Or is it mostly marketing ?
In other words, have you at any time felt like the tire wasn't a correct fit to the car ?
It's not necessary. And it's not "mostly marketing".

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs PS 4S