Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak at or very near oil filter (using LN engineering adapter)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:51 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Oil leak at or very near oil filter (using LN engineering adapter)

I changed my oil just over 1,000-1,400 miles ago. The time before that I switched to an LN engineering adapter that allows thread-on filters and had absolutely NO issues for the 4,000 miles I ran it before this oil change. I am starting to notice that I have an oil leak (oil is still fairly clear). A week ago I tightened the filter just over a 1/4 turn. Still leaking so a few days ago I cleaned it all off and tightened it about another 3/8 of a turn. I drove it for a couple days and then parked it. No signs of a leak as it sat in garage for a day or so after parking it, but after another day or 2, sure enough, a few drops and there is a drop on the very bottom of the actual oil filter.

Of course when driving, it probably allows the oil to go all over the place in that general area of the motor, but as it sits, it really looks to be something related to the filter, the filter seal, or the adaptor.

I have don't online searches and it appears that the RMS leaks are in that general area, but actually a bit more forward and drips on the stabilizer bar but not directly on the oil filter.

Driving me crazy, since I drove it a couple days and really didn't seem to have an issue.

its a 2005 C2S with 30k miles. I don't drive it a lot of miles, but I always drive it 1-3 times a week, to keep everything moving.

If there is no obvious answer, I may have to just do a little trial and error and replace the filter and inspect the filter seal and give it another try. While doing a search, someone else seemed to indicate that you can do this and it actually doesn't drain all the oil. Anyone know if it just drains a bit of oil, or a large amount? (if it is a large amount, I might as well just do the complete oil change again).
Old 11-14-2017, 08:30 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
I changed my oil just over 1,000-1,400 miles ago. The time before that I switched to an LN engineering adapter that allows thread-on filters and had absolutely NO issues for the 4,000 miles I ran it before this oil change. I am starting to notice that I have an oil leak (oil is still fairly clear). A week ago I tightened the filter just over a 1/4 turn. Still leaking so a few days ago I cleaned it all off and tightened it about another 3/8 of a turn. I drove it for a couple days and then parked it. No signs of a leak as it sat in garage for a day or so after parking it, but after another day or 2, sure enough, a few drops and there is a drop on the very bottom of the actual oil filter.

Of course when driving, it probably allows the oil to go all over the place in that general area of the motor, but as it sits, it really looks to be something related to the filter, the filter seal, or the adaptor.

I have don't online searches and it appears that the RMS leaks are in that general area, but actually a bit more forward and drips on the stabilizer bar but not directly on the oil filter.

Driving me crazy, since I drove it a couple days and really didn't seem to have an issue.

its a 2005 C2S with 30k miles. I don't drive it a lot of miles, but I always drive it 1-3 times a week, to keep everything moving.

If there is no obvious answer, I may have to just do a little trial and error and replace the filter and inspect the filter seal and give it another try. While doing a search, someone else seemed to indicate that you can do this and it actually doesn't drain all the oil. Anyone know if it just drains a bit of oil, or a large amount? (if it is a large amount, I might as well just do the complete oil change again).
Is the adaptor securely attached - can you see if the leak is coming from there? How are you tightening the filter? Quarter tune then 3/8's turn makes me think it wasn't tightened properly when first installed. When you take filter off check to make sure seal isn't crimped or that any of the seal remains on the adaptor. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

I have these LN kits on both my 997s and have never had a leak issue. I've used both the Mobil 1 M1-107 filter and the K&N HP-1007 filter. When I install any oil filter, I first fill it with oil to prevent that 1 second of engine starvation upon first start, oil the sealing washer, then install it until the seal just touches, then turn it 1 complete turn ( you can tell by the writing on the filter). Never had an issue.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:37 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

Although leaks are rarely encountered, I would be happy to replace you filter adapter along with a new filter, just to minimize the likelihood of another leak.

Just call or email LN Engineering and we will get it taken care of. We'll just need to get some information from you.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:40 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Although leaks are rarely encountered, I would be happy to replace you filter adapter along with a new filter, just to minimize the likelihood of another leak.

Just call or email LN Engineering and we will get it taken care of. We'll just need to get some information from you.
Incredible, pro-active customer service. Superb.

I have only owned my first P car for a matter of days. I've already spent several hundred dollars at LN and can clearly see that I will look there first whenever possible!
Old 11-17-2017, 12:22 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro

Charles, that is a very generous offer. Let me take it apart and see what I can find. I am fairly mechanical (work on my own dirtbikes, mountain bikes, race karts, etc...) so if it is a simple seal than needs to be repositioned or replaced I am sure I can figure out a DIY fix. I kind of have a feeling that it may be the seal between the filter and the adaptor.

to everyone else familiar with oil leaks in this area of the car, does this sound like it is probably more a result of the oil filter, adaptor or possible that it could be the RMS or IMS leak?
Old 11-17-2017, 02:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Charles, that is a very generous offer. Let me take it apart and see what I can find. I am fairly mechanical (work on my own dirtbikes, mountain bikes, race karts, etc...) so if it is a simple seal than needs to be repositioned or replaced I am sure I can figure out a DIY fix. I kind of have a feeling that it may be the seal between the filter and the adaptor.

to everyone else familiar with oil leaks in this area of the car, does this sound like it is probably more a result of the oil filter, adaptor or possible that it could be the RMS or IMS leak?
Yep, Charles & LN are awesome to do business with. I just placed my order for all the Driven oil I'll need for 2018 with them.

Rod, when you get under there this weekend, if you could post a photo or two of what you find, that might help us quite a bit. Another area near there that sometimes results in intermittent oil leaks are the case half bolts. On my car, sometimes when I came back from a spirited drive and parked it, I'd see a small puddle of oil under it - other times, nothing. Once I got under there, I traced the source to the point where the case halves come together. What happens is the bolts are submersed in oil and it can eat away at the loctite-type sealant Porsche used on those bolts, then oil follows the threads of the bolt out and starts dripping. It often gets mistaken for an RMS leak - in fact, I took some pictures into a dealer in Atlanta when I was down there one day, showed them to a tech, and that was his diagnosis, which was completely wrong. It was my local Indy that mentioned the case halves leak as a possibility.

Anyway, here are pictures of what it looked like during the leaking period in case yours looks like that once you get under there - if not, maybe the post will help someone else who finds they have this problem.

The grimy area near the filter is one set and there's another set on the other side

All clean in that area now and has been for a couple years since resealing those bolts. Additional props to LN as this is their Stainless skid plate, which is compatible with Deep Sump setups like my 2L MantisSport one here, and it's a substantial piece (unlike the aluminum OEM one). LN's Magnetic Drain plug shown too.

Good luck!

Last edited by Petza914; 11-17-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:53 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Very similar area but maybe slightly different. Your filter looks bone dry while mine is dripping on the bottom. I think from there when I drive it it splashes all over which makes it harder to follow. Here are some shots I took last week when I first tried to clean it before. It looks like the 5th and the last pics are closest to the area of your picture.

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yep, Charles & LN are awesome to do business with. I just placed my order for all the Driven oil I'll need for 2018 with them.

Rod, when you get under there this weekend, if you could post a photo or two of what you find, that might help us quite a bit. Another area near there that sometimes results in intermittent oil leaks are the case half bolts. On my car, sometimes when I came back from a spirited drive and parked it, I'd see a small puddle of oil under it - other times, nothing. Once I got under there, I traced the source to the point where the case halves come together. What happens is the bolts are submersed in oil and it can eat away at the loctite-type sealant Porsche used on those bolts, then oil follows the threads of the bolt out and starts dripping. It often gets mistaken for an RMS leak - in fact, I took some pictures into a dealer in Atlanta when I was down there one day, showed them to a tech, and that was his diagnosis, which was completely wrong. It was my local Indy that mentioned the case halves leak as a possibility.

Anyway, here are pictures of what it looked like during the leaking period in case yours looks like that once you get under there - if not, maybe the post will help someone else who finds they have this problem.

The grimy area near the filter is one set and there's another set on the other side

All clean in that area now and has been for a couple years since resealing those bolts. Additional props to LN as this is their Stainless skid plate, which is compatible with Deep Sumps setups like my 2L MantisSport one here. LN's Magnetic Drain plug shown too.

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2017, 02:57 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

And yes, I bought the whole kit as well, love the idea and piece of mind having the magnetic oil plug, magnetic oil filter add on and the adapter with a good thread on filter!!!
Old 11-17-2017, 03:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yours does look like the concentration is around the filter so I think you're on the right track. I've actually gotten a Mobil 1 Oil filter (which looks like what you're using) where the seal at the top was not properly seated in the groove. Had I not looked at it carefully prior to installing, it likely would have leaked.

Interested to hear what you discover when you take a look again.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:16 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Yours does look like the concentration is around the filter so I think you're on the right track. I've actually gotten a Mobil 1 Oil filter (which looks like what you're using) where the seal at the top was not properly seated in the groove. Had I not looked at it carefully prior to installing, it likely would have leaked.

Interested to hear what you discover when you take a look again.
great. Thanks for your help and everyone else. I am not sure why it seems like it leaks when it is cold vs warm other than when it is warm perhaps the seal expands just enough to seal it off.

Thanksgiving project coming up!! Thanks for the help guys!!
Old 11-17-2017, 09:51 AM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you put the original oil filter housing filter back on, to see if the leak goes away? Could be an easy way to help differentiate were the problem is coming from?
Old 11-17-2017, 10:27 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,638 Posts

great. Thanks for your help and everyone else. I am not sure why it seems like it leaks when it is cold vs warm other than when it is warm perhaps the seal expands just enough to seal it off.

Thanksgiving project coming up!! Thanks for the help guys!!
Metals change with temp, of course. I had a water neck leak in my Pontiac that only happened after the car was sitting for a few days in a cool garage. Aluminum to aluminum parts.

Seems to me, I'd get a new part and swap them out. You could go back to stock for a while too, that's a good idea. It might be worth while to buy a new drain pan so you can reuse that expensive oil if you wind up having to pull it out a few times.

Hmm, if you pull the oil filter without draining the oil, how much oil comes out? is that a feasible way to do this?
Old 11-17-2017, 10:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam

Hmm, if you pull the oil filter without draining the oil, how much oil comes out? is that a feasible way to do this?
Just what's in the filter plus a little bit.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:20 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

This is probably what I’ll do first. Take the filter off. Recheck the torque on the LN adaptor (I am not 100% sure I did that after the first oil change, I may have just assumed it didn’t unscrew one bit when taking off the old filter, which would be kind of stupid for me not to at least check it) then throw a new filter on and see what happens.

Just what's in the filter plus a little bit.

Quick Reply: Oil leak at or very near oil filter (using LN engineering adapter)