Sponsored by:

Sport Classic question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:23 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Sport Classic question

So, i'm trying to make my car a sport classic clone. I've got the ducky, front spoiler, fake fuchs, lowered, arctic grey (need the GT3 rear, and the light stripes, mostlikely do neither).

But the 100,000 question is, is the roof "creased"? or is it just the light stripe?
I googled the images and just can't tell if its the lighting or not...

Any insight?, thanx, mike
Old 11-13-2017, 08:31 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes, the roof in the Sport Classic is “creased”. Porsche will only sell you one if you provide a Sport Classic VIN and pictures showing why it needs to be replaced.

Here’s a pic where you can see the crease on the roof:
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2017, 08:47 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Hey Mike that's a cool project. Looks like your hosed on the roof. What year is your car? Can you post a few big pics?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:49 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

If you have the right width of stripe to match the classic, it might complete the look, if you can live with it not being a creased roof.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ATSR
Yes, the roof in the Sport Classic is “creased”. Porsche will only sell you one if you provide a Sport Classic VIN and pictures showing why it needs to be replaced.

Here’s a pic where you can see the crease on the roof:
Good info. I can see why they would do that.

Originally Posted by street rod
Hey Mike that's a cool project. Looks like your hosed on the roof. What year is your car? Can you post a few big pics?
I can later on today from my home desktop, the pic in my avatar is what i have now. Thinking of removing the Carrera decals, cleaner look.

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
If you have the right width of stripe to match the classic, it might complete the look, if you can live with it not being a creased roof.
Thats a good idea, i was wondering (i'm going to check with the guy doing the clear bra on my 70 camaro ss/rs-ls) if they make a clear with a custom shading in it to mimic that look without feeling any ridges as well as protection (primarily for the hood)

Hot rods = fun = $$
Old 11-14-2017, 02:02 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Great project...the SportClassic though is not Arctic Grey (you probably knew that). For lack of creativity, I believe Porsche calls it "Sport Classic Grey".
Old 11-14-2017, 02:24 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

To get the Sport Classic color you can wrap your car with Avery Gloss Grey 832 which is very close (and looks great IMO). Here’s a pic of an Audi wrapped in that color:
Attached Images  

Trending Topics

Old 11-14-2017, 02:57 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't forget the Special Cocoa Leather interior if you really want to nail the look
Old 11-14-2017, 03:25 PM
FZP
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

OP,
It's not a GT3 rear bar. If you look at the pics above you'll see the exhaust exit on the sides rather than the centre as on the GT3. IMO, it would look better with the GT3 bar vs the SC bar anyway but thought I'd point it out to you just in case you're looking to get it spot on
Look forward to seeing this thread develop as I've got similar plans for a 911R 997 brewing.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:09 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by FZP
Look forward to seeing this thread develop as I've got similar plans for a 911R 997 brewing.
I'm excited to see this!

Matt
Old 11-15-2017, 09:22 AM
FZP
Instructor

Yeah,early days yet it was born from discussions and seeing a guy who took a 997.2 Turbo and made it into a GT2RS. It would take a keen eye to distinguish between his and the real deal.

I'm lucky in that my car has cocoa interior so it will get close to the 911R interior. The major things would be rear seat delete and carbon seats trimmed in 911R style of houndstooth/cocoa leather.

Exterior would require the following
Cantrelock PCCB conversion. GT3 front and rear bar and centre exhaust. Wheel fitment needs addressing.

Lastly would be figuring out a solution to the rear spoiler. The 911R carried a black spoiler and am not sure about water access to the air filters.

Lastly is the cost of it all. Just in brakes and seats there is nearly $30k in parts alone.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:58 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes70
Thinking of removing the Carrera decals, cleaner look.

$$
Funny I was thinking if I had your car I would do the same thing. I do like the decal on some cars but on yours I think it detracts from the overall look and makes it too busy.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by FZP
Yeah,early days yet it was born from discussions and seeing a guy who took a 997.2 Turbo and made it into a GT2RS. It would take a keen eye to distinguish between his and the real deal.

I'm lucky in that my car has cocoa interior so it will get close to the 911R interior. The major things would be rear seat delete and carbon seats trimmed in 911R style of houndstooth/cocoa leather.

Exterior would require the following
Cantrelock PCCB conversion. GT3 front and rear bar and centre exhaust. Wheel fitment needs addressing.

Lastly would be figuring out a solution to the rear spoiler. The 911R carried a black spoiler and am not sure about water access to the air filters.

Lastly is the cost of it all. Just in brakes and seats there is nearly $30k in parts alone.
Sounds like a fun project! I would say you may be better off starting with a .2 GT3 and taking the wing off. That way the centerlock, pccb, front and rear bumpers, exhaust, and wheel fitment would be already done. Even better if you can find one with carbon sport buckets already.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:26 PM
FZP
Instructor

If I could get a .2 GT3 I'd leave it well alone. When I bought my car here in the UK it was super cheap at the bottom of it price cycle. In the 3 years that I've owned it I could sell it, with all costs paid for including fuel and insurance and still be in front.

That is the other half of the equation that I took with all too regularly. .2 GT3S are getting silly now so it's out it past my pain threshold for the moment. They're far more reasonably priced in NA
Old 11-19-2017, 08:00 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Great project...the SportClassic though is not Arctic Grey (you probably knew that). For lack of creativity, I believe Porsche calls it "Sport Classic Grey".
Yeah, just trying to get close

Originally Posted by ATSR
To get the Sport Classic color you can wrap your car with Avery Gloss Grey 832 which is very close (and looks great IMO). Here’s a pic of an Audi wrapped in that color:
i'm pretty sure that audi is two of three shades darker

Originally Posted by Abe Froman
Don't forget the Special Cocoa Leather interior if you really want to nail the look
Yeah, that would be the full monte. Mine is already Navy blue which is rare for these steeds, so thats staying

Originally Posted by FZP
OP,
It's not a GT3 rear bar. If you look at the pics above you'll see the exhaust exit on the sides rather than the centre as on the GT3. IMO, it would look better with the GT3 bar vs the SC bar anyway but thought I'd point it out to you just in case you're looking to get it spot on
I may be doing the GT3 rear at some point (if not a GT3 on its own, one just listed here today '07 for 60k in white), wont be able to match the SC but like you said, get close with the GT3

Originally Posted by street rod
Funny I was thinking if I had your car I would do the same thing. I do like the decal on some cars but on yours I think it detracts from the overall look and makes it too busy.
still pondering. pics below show one of before decal

Quick Reply: Sport Classic question