Sponsored by:

997.2 PCM3 Radio Failing... oh boy.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts
Default 997.2 PCM3 Radio Failing... oh boy.

2009 C2S 119K miles

Well..... thinks are starting to go.

When I run my radio for a period or say longer than 1/2 hour and a decent volume, regardless of source, the unit goes silent if I hit mute. Won;t go back on but I can hear the sub-woofer huffing away.

I have to leave it on mute, or just shut it off for 1o or 15 mnts, then it fires up again.

Something is failing.

So if I get a new unit from a dismantler, do the maps etc follow the unit and or do I need to get the dealer to "re-code" the unit into the car?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

PS: This is a bizarre month for failures for me: 1) Clutch, 2) PCM radio, 3) Clothes Dryer, 4) Stove top, 5) home audio amplifier. All within about four weeks.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:44 AM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bruce, you are truly jinxed! The PCM 3 in my 2009 C2 does the same thing occasionally, only not related to muting it. When I turn down the volume then try to turn it back up all I get is the sub woofer thumping away. So far it always comes back but usually after I shut down the car and let it rest for a while. I've been contemplating going with an aftermarket unit as I don't have Nav or USB in my car.
Cheers, Scottie
Old 11-13-2017, 05:56 PM
ilikeyourmom
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ugh...just finished reading your clutch thread. Expensive month. Sorry to hear...
Old 11-13-2017, 07:35 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,145 Likes on 727 Posts

Damn Bruce, time to start a new month.

I had this happen on October 30 during a drive up the coast. I mentioned it in the What did you do post, I believe. Hasn't happened since, but I do consider it to be my first failure 8(

My battery is three years old. No other ghosts. 103K miles at the time. 7 years 3 months from build date. Auto repaired after a 10 minute ignition off rest. In my case, I discovered the failure when I turned the radio on as we were enjoying the return leg. It was not a function of already having been on.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:32 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

Does it have/or have had the provisions for XM? What i learned from my service advisor was the Panasonic units from that era had XM issues. I've personally "lost" three stereos fm usage and all had "XM" at one time or another, hmmm. But my other units were alpine and kenwood.

My pcm went out last summer and was replaced by Porsche (under warranty)

If i was u, don't go with another p-car stereo. Have a good audio shop do a do-over.

Hope this helps, If you didn't drive it so much it wouldn't have any problems, and if you don't drive it you will have problems. these first world problems are a beotch. LOL....

Cheers, hope this get better with your steed....mike
Old 11-13-2017, 09:26 PM
monster1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bruce to answer your original question, the maps are stored within the PCM itself. You would need to get the dealer to activate the replacement PCM that you source. Also make sure that if you are buying an eBay unit, that it has the Sat Nav option, along with any other options you may want such as XM Radio etc.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:05 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

sorry to hear bruce, i think there is an place in the states that does PCM repair no?
Old 11-13-2017, 10:12 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

First, is your '09 still under warranty?... probably not. Do you absolutely love this car and want keep it for several more years...duh... yes! Why not look at the PCM failure as an opportunity to significantly improve the audio/nav/entertainment aspects of driving it. A modern head unit from Alpine or Pioneer is light years ahead of the OEM.

Wait! I have my perfectly good OEM nav head unit in a box, but mine is an '08 PCM 2.1 and I think yours requires the 3.0. (I haven't researched that, just something I remember from another thread).
Old 11-13-2017, 10:12 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Holy Moley Batman!

I hope you’re flip cell phone doesn’t give up the ghost!
Old 11-13-2017, 11:34 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

It sounds like the amp maybe failing? Over heating? Check amp first.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:00 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shred
It sounds like the amp maybe failing? Over heating? Check amp first.
I think you may be right about this.... maybe the amp. Most quality home units have thermal protection circuits, and it appears this is the issue. Shutting it down for a time results in it coming back on.... ergo thermal cutout. Thanx to all for letting me know it is happening to others.

The sub keeps playing and I know that has its own amp.... I don;t know where the feed comes from, amp or head unit.

I think I found an amp on eBay for about $375.... I suspect it is just a plug and play with the brains being in the head unit... in other words, no programing needed by dealer.... but not sure of course.

The part numbers for the PCM system are vague at best.... anywho, I am not going to jump on this one just yet. I am going to wait until it really goes bad or becomes really annoying. No hurry here.

Becker has a repair facility in NJ.... you can buy little adapter plugs to activate an AUX input if you are interested.... http://beckerautosound.com/

Regarding putting in another system.... I tried.. I put in an expensive Alpine system.... installer could not get the alternator whine out.... took it all out and gave me money back..... saga went on for months... a very reputable place that did two of my cars before. Totally stumped.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Shred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Check if the cooling fan inside the amp is failing. If it is, it is possible to replace it cheap. It should be just a computer type old CPU fan. Maybe needs cleaning.
Let us know what you find. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shred
Check if the cooling fan inside the amp is failing. If it is, it is possible to replace it cheap. It should be just a computer type old CPU fan. Maybe needs cleaning.
Let us know what you find. Good luck!
Good idea..... I will have to remove the seat to do this.... maybe a rainy day, neurosis project.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-14-2017, 06:45 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

There's a small fan at the back of the PCM as well. If it's not the amp then check that one too. Sounds like an overheat problem to me as well.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

As I was reading the early posts, I thought Amp failure as well. If the PCM stays turned on and doesn't go dark or reboot itself with the Porsche logo, or come back up in German, but just the sound goes away, I'm fairly certain it's the amp. The reason the rear sub keeps working is because it has it's own internal amp in the Bose sub enclosure and that is still getting the signal from the PCM head unit. It's the main amp in the Frunk that isn't sending the amplified signals to the speakers any more.

Quick Reply: 997.2 PCM3 Radio Failing... oh boy.