Sponsored by:

Passenger seat wont move front to back

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 12:04 AM
ehjun
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger seat wont move front to back

Hi all, i just bought a 997.1 C4S with the 6 way power seats. Today i gave my friend a ride and the passenger seat no longer moves forwards and backwards. i can hear the motor move and its much louder than normal. like something is out of alignment. the seat is pretty far back but probably not all the way. i could feel the bolt covers on the rails nearest to the center of the car so i may be able to get the seat out. i did some searching but couldnt find anything definitive as to what the problem or solution was. a lot of i took it to a shop and they fixed it. most of the threads i saw were of older models as well.

is it more likely that something is broken or just something that's misaligned?

the door axle broke yesterday too so if its more likely a part that i need it would be usefull for me to be able to order the parts at the same time as my door handle repair.

edit. found the problem. seems like the cable that comes out of the motor is dislogged. but it also looks like it may be snapped off so it wont be as simple as inserting it back where it needs to go. i checked the rails as best i could but didnt find anything that would cause them to stick. its pretty tight in there so there could be coins i cant see. also are there instructions somewhere to move the seat back and fourth manually?

can anyone tell me what part number i would need to fix it?

Last edited by ehjun; 11-12-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,169 Likes on 3,933 Posts

If the motor is trying to work but the seat won't move, yiu might have something jammed in one of the seat rails - a coin, a pen, etc. Will the seat go up and down but just not back and forth?
Old 11-12-2017, 11:55 AM
ehjun
Track Day

correct. the up down, lumbar and recline all work
Old 11-12-2017, 01:05 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree with Petza, something like a coin or a water bottle's plastic cup stuck in railings. See if you could observe something. You can try removing mounting bolts and put a seat upside down.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:06 PM
ehjun
Track Day

heres a few short videos about whats happening. the cable that connects the motor to the rail seems to be broken on one side.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:07 PM
ehjun
Track Day

bump. I think I found a replacement motor but I’m not sure if it comes with new cables. Can anyone help with the proper part numbers I need to fix?

Also I still need help getting the seat out. How do you get the plastic covers off and is there a way to manually move the seat?
Old 11-21-2017, 10:15 AM
ehjun
Track Day

bump. Anyone???
Old 11-21-2017, 10:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,169 Likes on 3,933 Posts

I think you're going to have to take the seat out and flip it over to see what's really going on with the motors, cables, & tracks. It's not hard, just awkward. Pad the door sill really well with moving blankets, or towels - you're going to want to set it down on the way out and don't want dents or scratches in your door sill paint. Disconnect the battery before disconnecting the seat (DON'T LATCH THE FRUNK) or you'll get an airbag warning that needs Durametric or a trip to the dealer to clear. Once you have the seat out, you can bench test it with a spare 12v battery. In the yellow box connector, the two large male spade terminals are where power and ground are supplied to the seat. The one closer to the edge and closer to the floor of the car is the ground, with the other being the 12v input.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:59 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the 997 seats are like the 996 seats, this video my help you out in regards to gaining more access to the mounting bolts.

Quick Reply: Passenger seat wont move front to back