Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendation for aftermarket headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 05:06 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Recommendation for aftermarket headunit?

I'm looking to replace the PCM 2.1 Jurassic era headunit in my new-to-me 08 C4 with something more modern that can do bluetooth/usb charging/backup camera at a minimum. What headunits have y'all used and which do you recommend?
Old 11-09-2017, 10:50 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

I also have an 08 C2S. I went crazy and completely upgraded the audio with a full cockpit sound deadening, new JL Audio amps and Focal speakers. I chose the Pioneer 8201 NEX because it brought the whole package up to 2017 standards. Backup cam, GPS Nav, full DVD video while cruising, BT, CarPlay, HD FM Audio. I can rock out when I want the sounds and volume down to enjoy the engine. Love the Pioneer unit. Worth every penny.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:21 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Nice, thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking at Pioneer head units too. What do you think of the AVIC-6200NEX?
Old 11-10-2017, 12:20 AM
rwdds
Racer

My understanding was that it has similar electronics and functionality, just a slightly smaller screen size. I am not sure if comes with the BU cam either.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:35 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

To piggy back on this thread:

Anyone kept steering wheel controls? If so, how?

Also what adaptor did you use for the fiber optics?

thanks!
Old 11-10-2017, 02:14 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rwdds
I also have an 08 C2S. I went crazy and completely upgraded the audio with a full cockpit sound deadening, new JL Audio amps and Focal speakers. I chose the Pioneer 8201 NEX because it brought the whole package up to 2017 standards. Backup cam, GPS Nav, full DVD video while cruising, BT, CarPlay, HD FM Audio. I can rock out when I want the sounds and volume down to enjoy the engine. Love the Pioneer unit. Worth every penny.
+1 on the Pioneer AVIC 8200NEX or 8201NEX. Plus, if you have an android phone, you can run Waze or Google Maps (both with live traffic and re-routing) using voice commands.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:10 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rwdds

Impressive! Who did the install, and are you happy with the quality of the work?
Old 11-10-2017, 12:11 PM
rwdds
Racer

My audio guy is local in the NE Philly suburbs. PM me if you want contact info. I took a chance, as the shop was not impressive, just had great reviews when I was researching. The owner was a great guy who had done a couple of other 911's and so knew the interior and the amp/speaker set up. I was honestly impressed with the thoroughness and detail of the work. They had the entire cockpit stripped out for the full install. The only issue I found after delivery was that the hardwired V1 12 volt power supply wasn't reconnected correctly. He had to removed the headliner and sunroof to lay the sound deadening material, then forgot to reconnect the ground wire. That was fixed in 15 minutes. The sound quality is surprisingly good in my opinion, similar to a Mark Levinson system in a Lexus sedan I owned previously.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:42 AM
AIRLESSMILES
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Gents.

I know this thread was from almost 1 year ago, however, I recently acquired a '07 Targa 4 with the 8200nex already installed. It's a great aftermarket unit and sounds amazing! My question is whether there's a way of utilizing the OEM cd changer with it? I was working on the switches the other day and noticed that there's some RCA cables capped off which could be from the cd changer, but not sure if or how to connect them. I also noticed that it has the 997 MOST hur unit with a USB cable attached to it, but not connected to anything else. Any ideas what this might be used for?

Cheers and thanks in advance!
Old 10-10-2018, 09:40 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by AIRLESSMILES
I also noticed that it has the 997 MOST hur unit with a USB cable attached to it, but not connected to anything else. Any ideas what this might be used for?
The USB cable attached to the MOST-HUR unit is for configuring it to the car. It's a one-time setup during installation. You can remove the cable since it goes nowhere. See here for the instruction manual: https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT210/most-hur-997.html
Old 10-10-2018, 04:21 PM
AIRLESSMILES
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Thanks Semicycler.

Quick Reply: Recommendation for aftermarket headunit?