Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIDEO: what happens to your life when you buy a 911 (997.2)

Old 11-04-2017, 10:45 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,799 Likes on 1,635 Posts

OMG, this is me! Hysterical.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:19 PM
mpath
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectricChair
Congrats and welcome to the community.

Here is one just for the nuts; according to Porsche, the bottom tip of the wheel center cap emblem must point at the valve stem. Otherwise, the wheels are going to fall off when your car hits 91.1 mph.

Now seriously, I read somewhere that this comes from racing roots. This way, race mechanics could easily find the valve stems just by looking at the emblems.
Wow, I did not know this. Seriously cool for us OCD types! (As a cyclist too, a tire's label has to be opposite the wheel's valve stem.)

And yes, great video - thanks for sharing.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by mpath
Wow, I did not know this. Seriously cool for us OCD types! (As a cyclist too, a tire's label has to be opposite the wheel's valve stem.)

And yes, great video - thanks for sharing.
It’s the norm for Porsche concourse events too. You’ll never go home with a trophy if your center cap logos are improperly aligned.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:40 PM
TV911
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

You nailed many of the 911 quirks! The scariest for me... don't ever just move your car a short distance from one parking spot to another (ex: garage to street), or you'll get a large puff of blue smoke the next day when you start it! Once you start it, you need to drive it a minimum distance to distribute the oil properly.
- It's a four seater in name only. The back seating area can hold a single bag or backpack on each side, and nothing else. Certainly not people, unless they are under the age of 8, and over the age of 5.
- key on the left of the steering wheel... who else does that?
- If you stall your manual transmission 911 (and you will), you can't restart by turning the key to the right, you have to go all the way to the left, then back to the right. That's fun the first time you stall in heavy traffic, and you're embarrassed and panicking a bit to quickly start back up.
- Near zero visibility in my 911 Cabriolet when backing up. Probably similar for the coupe.
- Key fobs that fall apart. $500 to get a new key with electronics. Not unique to Porsche, but still ridiculous.
- Getting into and out of a 911is an art form.
- The door window lowers slightly when you open the door. To reduce wear, you should open the door handle slowly, giving the glass time to clear the seal. I've never figured out or really remembered how to open the door slowly. When you pull the handle it opens all at once- there is no slow option.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:46 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,799 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by TV911
Pontiac, on my 1964 GTO
Old 11-04-2017, 01:59 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's pretty spot on. Wait until you turn a perfectly good car into a race car and spend 3X it's value on making it "competitive in class"......... At that point all the noises in the street car go away.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:52 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm still laughing. The sad part is 80% of what folks said are actual quirks with these cars. I bet Porsche engineers would love this...or are the Germans not humble?

These two really made me laugh:

Cut open your oil filters looking for minuscule debris that might spell impending doom.

Once you start it, you need to drive it a minimum distance to distribute the oil properly...this goes along with never drive for less than 30 miles to burn off moisture!

Are we really all this nuts!?
Old 11-05-2017, 01:45 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,142 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
I'm still laughing. The sad part is 80% of what folks said are actual quirks with these cars. I bet Porsche engineers would love this...or are the Germans not humble?

These two really made me laugh:

Cut open your oil filters looking for minuscule debris that might spell impending doom.

Once you start it, you need to drive it a minimum distance to distribute the oil properly...this goes along with never drive for less than 30 miles to burn off moisture!

Are we really all this nuts!?
Yes, this is us 8)
Old 11-05-2017, 01:27 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

"Yeah - it's actually Dark Blue Metallic over Sand Beige..."
Old 11-05-2017, 09:07 AM
Veneziavol
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 15 Posts

Haha.. well done!
Old 11-05-2017, 06:29 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Fun to watch, thanks.....
Old 11-06-2017, 12:16 AM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Hahaha, yer killin' me smalls. Don't forget checking the oil and adding oil
ceremonies as well as checking the torque on the titanium lug bolts lest the wheels fall off.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:37 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Great video. I can't believe you took the car outside... IN THE SUN EVEN!
Old 11-06-2017, 12:59 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Looking forward to seeing more from you Nice job.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:01 AM
And88
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rampage
Haha nice job! Just recently got mine, I can relate!

"Navy on tan" ... sounds familiar!
Originally Posted by TV911
You nailed many of the 911 quirks! The scariest for me... don't ever just move your car a short distance from one parking spot to another (ex: garage to street), or you'll get a large puff of blue smoke the next day when you start it! Once you start it, you need to drive it a minimum distance to distribute the oil properly.
- It's a four seater in name only. The back seating area can hold a single bag or backpack on each side, and nothing else. Certainly not people, unless they are under the age of 8, and over the age of 5.
- If you stall your manual transmission 911 (and you will), you can't restart by turning the key to the right, you have to go all the way to the left, then back to the right. That's fun the first time you stall in heavy traffic, and you're embarrassed and panicking a bit to quickly start back up.
- Near zero visibility in my 911 Cabriolet when backing up. Probably similar for the coupe.
- Key fobs that fall apart. $500 to get a new key with electronics. Not unique to Porsche, but still ridiculous.
- Getting into and out of a 911is an art form.
- The door window lowers slightly when you open the door. To reduce wear, you should open the door handle slowly, giving the glass time to clear the seal. I've never figured out or really remembered how to open the door slowly. When you pull the handle it opens all at once- there is no slow option.
Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
Looking forward to seeing more from you Nice job.
Thanks for the kind words everybody - we're shooting some stuff next weekend - I'll let you know!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VIDEO: what happens to your life when you buy a 911 (997.2)