Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 different brand tires on front vs back

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:54 PM
halperin45
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How’s the road noise with the Hankooks? One thing with the s04 poles is everyone says they are quiet and smooth which is nice for daily driving
Old 10-30-2017, 02:28 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I have run the Hankooks on my '09 C2 Cabrio for three or four years now. I find that they don't last any longer than the Michelins but they certainly cost a lot less. My car is a daily driver. I don't track it. I drive aggressively. I have had zero issues with the Hankooks either in the dry or the wet.

I put the Bridgestone Pole Positions on my wife's E550 Cabriolet after absolutely hating two sets of Pirelli PZero Neros. The Bridgestones were very good tires. She traded that car before we wore them out so I cannot give an informed opinion on tread longevity. They were quiet (much quieter than the Pirellis) and handled well.

As for running two different brands of tire front and back, if your car is a driver and not tracked, there is absolutely no safety or performance reason you should be concerned about. These cars wear out rear tires at two times the rate they wear out the fronts, so from day two, you will have progressively less tread on the rear as you will on the front--even with the same brand at all four corners.

When I switched from the Michelins to the Hankooks, I replaced the rear Michelins and drove several thousand miles with Michelins on the front and Hankooks on the back. My car did not become dangerously unstable. I did not die in a ball of fire. To suggest that doing so is dangerous is silly.

If you know where the limits of adhesion are with whatever tire you have on the front, then you'll be fine.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:06 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by halperin45
I’ve been researching this a lot but still don’t understand fully. Since the 997.2 has different size requirements of tires in front and back, smaller in front larger in back, is it okay to use different brand tires for the front and back as long as they are correct size? So I would be using the correct size and both same brands for the axle they are on.

thinkjg about doing 2 of the nanking tires on the front axle and 2 s04 poles on the back for the larger Tires.
First off, WHY? To save costs?

Secondly, it is NOT advisable, Porsche even doesn't recommend using the same tires with N0, N1, N2 lettering. The difference of adhesion of different tires will create a situation that handling, specially at the limit, will be compromised significantly. It also changes how front to rear transition and suspension works which were tested and tracked based on the same tires.

So, bottom line, don't do it unless you're saving a ton of cash and you're not driving your car hard, or in the rain.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
...or in the rain.
For the OP, this is the situation where I'd be concerned about the handling imbalance where the rears, even with more tread on them, could let go sooner than the fronts due to the level of grip afforded by the older but different tires on the fronts and the newer tires on the rear.

BTW, my wife got 18,000 miles out of her last set of Hankook rears.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:00 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
I have run the Hankooks on my '09 C2 Cabrio for three or four years now. I find that they don't last any longer than the Michelins but they certainly cost a lot less. My car is a daily driver. I don't track it. I drive aggressively. I have had zero issues with the Hankooks either in the dry or the wet.

As for running two different brands of tire front and back, if your car is a driver and not tracked, there is absolutely no safety or performance reason you should be concerned about. These cars wear out rear tires at two times the rate they wear out the fronts, so from day two, you will have progressively less tread on the rear as you will on the front--even with the same brand at all four corners.

When I switched from the Michelins to the Hankooks, I replaced the rear Michelins and drove several thousand miles with Michelins on the front and Hankooks on the back. My car did not become dangerously unstable. I did not die in a ball of fire. To suggest that doing so is dangerous is silly.

If you know where the limits of adhesion are with whatever tire you have on the front, then you'll be fine.
Agree. Similar situation, except my car had Pirelli's. Replaced first the rears with Hankooks and no issues. When all 4 wore, I replaced all 4 with the Hankooks. Great tires.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
For the OP, this is the situation where I'd be concerned about the handling imbalance where the rears, even with more tread on them, could let go sooner than the fronts due to the level of grip afforded by the older but different tires on the fronts and the newer tires on the rear.

BTW, my wife got 18,000 miles out of her last set of Hankook rears.
Yup. last year I had a flat in a rear MPSS, the tire was all sold out everywhere, so instead of swapping all tires I found a lightly used MPSS tire and have been using those with no issue. So, if one wants to save money by switching to different set of tires for rears, probably better is to use lightly used tires instead (must be inspected), rather than new different tires.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:25 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,413 Likes on 857 Posts

When I purchased my 2009 C2S with 26K miles on it, the Vovlo dealer put the cheapest tires they could find on the rears.... fronts were original Michelins. Thy put on the Continental AWS(?) all seasons. I drove on this set up for a while... the rears wore out really quickly.

What I learned: The Contis had way less grip than the front Michelins..... as a result, the back end would come out. I don't consider this dangerous for a few reasons.... Anyone who drives a car easily and then goes out and tromps it like a teenager is a moron and deserves the wrath of Darwin. With any car, particularly these high-performance units, you need to learn them by driving progressively more aggressive and doing so in varying conditions..... learn first. (I read somewhere that accident rates are very high in the first few months of ownership when a noob buys their first performance car.)

Even with these very different tires front to back, the car only showed the difference when pushed.... and pushing these high performance cars with all these electronic assists is well.... you really have to push it way beyond grocery getting.

I will never put different tires on front - rear for the simple reason I purchased a high-performance car to enjoy as a high-performance car. Why would I hamstring it?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-01-2017, 12:50 PM
keinmitleid
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not recommend it at all. I have mixed brands right now because my front tires are on back order. You cannot drive the car at even 7/10 without it getting squirrely. And definitely avoid highway.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:12 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I've got 11K on my Hankook tires and they seem to have a few thousand left. They were put on the car right before I bought it by Carmax. In a weird way, when it's cold the sidewalls get stiffer but the grip seems to remain the same till about 40 degrees or so. Which I like. When it's 90 and above they seem squishy on turn-in and hard braking. Not unstable, but squishy. So I learned to power out of the turns to spin them up a bit quicker and keep the air pressure up a bit. I started my cold weather mountain run last week at 33 front and 40 rear, by the time I got off the interstate to the fun bits they warmed up nicely(cruising at 70 to 95 MPH with an occasional 100 spurt) and the pressure went up enough.

Quick Reply: 997.2 different brand tires on front vs back