Sponsored by:

Installed RS engine mounts - nice results

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 11:15 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Installed RS engine mounts - nice results

Just installed RS engine mounts, a nice upgrade.

Some background. My pcar is an 06 with 40k and had the original mounts. After a SSK install, the shifting became notchy when cold, was not great going 1st to 2nd, and was very balky down shifting to 1st. I then installed FF transmission mounts (yellow), and shifting improved but with significant NVH at 4K rpm and above. The most notable improvement was redline shifts became lot more stable and smooth. A PTX oil change helped a bit too. All in all, I was still not happy and considered taking out the FF tranny mounts.

After reading a lot of posts, I ordered the RS mounts from Renn parts and they called (5 minutes) right after my online order to confirm they were sending the longer thru bolts. Great service! On a Saturday no less.

After the install I can report better shifting and more muted vibration going thru 4K. High in the rev range there is some more noise but not the course vibration. Livable for the street and entertaining! Car feels more planted and all gates feel generally better. I'll probably leave the FF tranny mounts in now.

Vibration is not an issue to be concerned with and RS mounts are a good option over OEM. An easy mod with the only trick being using a 18m box wrench inside the engine bay. Leave the wrench handle lodged against one of two top bolts (thread these in leaving 1 inch raised). After the thru bolts are torqued to 60 ft lb from under the car, remove the box wrench and finish off the two top bolts at 18 ft lb.
Attached Images  

Last edited by cvtbenhogan; 10-21-2017 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jlert (10-25-2022)
Old 10-21-2017, 06:06 AM
Engared
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has the SSK and suffers from the same issues you have.

Ill look into the solutions you posted here. Cheers mate.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:06 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

This is an upgrade that I’ve been thinking about for some time, but after my terrible experience with the NVH created by the yellow FF transmission mounts, I’m worried that it could have the same result.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:04 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ATSR
This is an upgrade that I’ve been thinking about for some time, but after my terrible experience with the NVH created by the yellow FF transmission mounts, I’m worried that it could have the same result.
The FF tranny inserts (yellow) create a lot of NVH. I doubt the RS engine mounts alone would create anything near the vibration caused by the FF tranny inserts. As I mentioned, the RS mounts smooth out the NVH at 4K and above. There is slightly more noise at high RPM, but it's not NVH like or coarse.

I assume you removed the yellow FF inserts?
Old 10-21-2017, 01:15 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
The FF tranny inserts (yellow) create a lot of NVH. I doubt the RS engine mounts alone would create anything near the vibration caused by the FF tranny inserts. As I mentioned, the RS mounts smooth out the NVH at 4K and above. There is slightly more noise at high RPM, but it's not NVH like or coarse.

I assume you removed the yellow FF inserts?
Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear that it’s not bad above 4k, but how about below and at idle? My car droned and hummed pretty badly at idle with the inserts.

Yes, I removed the FF yellows and went back to stock.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:35 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear that it’s not bad above 4k, but how about below and at idle? My car droned and hummed pretty badly at idle with the inserts.

Yes, I removed the FF yellows and went back to stock.
No extra NVH at idle and nothing at all thru the shift **** (someone had suggested this in a related post).

At just over 3K, there is a very slight extra buzz that then disappears at 3.2k approx. Again, I still have the yellow FF inserts in there. I'd take them out, but it's a pain DIY job and they do help with the aggressive 5 - 7k shifts.

Plan to install the FF shift cable linkages next. It's getting there.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2017, 02:44 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Great to hear, thanks!

I’m very happy with the FF linkages by the way. I’m sure you are going to like them too.

One thing that I’ve noticed since installing those a few hundred miles ago, is that it seems to have fixed completely the occasional problem of shifting into 1st. Hasn’t happened even once since I have them.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:53 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Great to hear, thanks!

I’m very happy with the FF linkages by the way. I’m sure you are going to like them too.

One thing that I’ve noticed since installing those a few hundred miles ago, is that it seems to have fixed completely the occasional problem of shifting into 1st. Hasn’t happened even once since I have them.
Thanks! I'll order these as soon as FF offers for sale.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:29 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Will the RS engine mounts fit the 997.2 as well?

Does anyone have the Porsche part number for it?
Old 10-22-2017, 06:51 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Yes they'll fit a .2. Fit years 1989 thru 2012. Recommend Renn Parts and indicate you need the longer thru bolts. I went with the URO brand, which included OEM bolts and washers.
RennPart (05-13-2023)
Old 08-14-2018, 04:28 PM
shrumdog
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

installed the rs mounts from renn part yesterday. I didnt use the washers on the bottom mounting as there is so little room with my awe exhaust and the original was just the washer nut anyways. Results, very happy, car is tighter shifting and more rigid corners with small amount cabin noise increase. I went with the URO brand w porsche hardware. Thinking about the trans oil next but looks like a pain with my lowered car and jacks only so high.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

You need to use the washer...it does not go on the same side as the flange nut. Check the placement of both 7D

RennPart (05-13-2023)
Old 08-15-2018, 01:33 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

you have to use the washers or the mounts could bind at worst.. NVH at least.
lowest nut is a flange nut so no washer needed as you state... assuming by 'washer nut' you mean 'flange nut'.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:49 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Washers on the bottom fit above the frame piece as in the diagram. Can’t see how this would interfere with the exhaust.

The missing washer protects the rubber bottom piece. I’d go back and reinstall. It’s a quick job and can be done more quickly a second time.

Glad you like mounts. Little NVH and a more planted rear.

The first pic doesnt show the small washer.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:43 PM
geeky
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have the URO P/N?

EDIT: Found the URO P/N 96437504381KIT

But can someone please measure the length of the bolt and diameter? Along with OD of the washers? I honestly think this kit can be sourced and made individually for close to $125 if that.

Last edited by geeky; 08-15-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed RS engine mounts - nice results