Sponsored by:

New to 997.2 as usual, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 04:38 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New to 997.2 as usual, some questions

Took delivery just over a week ago, and since I owned a 996 for 7 years, I posted my farewell post at the 996 forum.

What I bought is a 2010 (MY2011) C2 ex-UK with 49000kms on the clock. Still in very good condition with a number of niggling used-car 'problems'. I know it's a used car but ....

Some questions to those who've had theirs for a while. I can't ask the selling dealer as he is a just a small independent dealer, not an official Porsch one.

- the car doesn't come with a jack? The toolkit, sealent etc, present but no jack?

- I can't, for the life of me, find a way to uninstall the driver side scuff plastic plate. I've put in hex, torx, philips etc. heads and none seemed to match whatever holding the plate down!

- I've got this
(front wheels) syndrome, maybe like this one, or
. Brought it to the only Porsche dealer in town, who stripped the shocks and cleaned them up as there were rusts at the top. But even after that it is still squeaking. Will have to bring it back unfortunately, unless anyone has any ideas?

Obligatory pics, haven't taken that many:
Attached Images   
Old 10-20-2017, 08:41 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Correct. No spare tire so no jack. Item 2 do a search. there are threads here on refurbishing. Item 3 got no clue. Almost sounds like something loose in the steering. Assume the shop checked for any play in the wheels top to bottom and side to side. There should be NONE.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:27 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Here you go:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...uff-plate.html

You'll need a short 5mm hex wrench preferably a ball end if you can find one. Loosen the screws, don't remove.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:39 PM
318touring
Pro

Thanks all - I've done an extensive search etc. problem is I was trying to do this by feel and just poking in my hex tool in the hope that it'll seat itself. No luck :-(

This is the picture I took of the screw as I was trying to determine whether 1. there is a screw there, 2. what does it look like
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2017, 09:55 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 318touring
Thanks all - I've done an extensive search etc. problem is I was trying to do this by feel and just poking in my hex tool in the hope that it'll seat itself. No luck :-(

This is the picture I took of the screw as I was trying to determine whether 1. there is a screw there, 2. what does it look like
Looks like a hex head (I see 6 sides). There's a picture in the post I linked. As I recommended, a ball end hex wrench makes it easier. You have to push the wrench through some carpet before it will engage in the hex opening.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:41 AM
318touring
Pro

Done, thanks for the confirmation of what that was. I inserted a 5mm ball-end hex and started turning anti-clockwise. Finally managed to fix my gapping scuff plate!

Now onto the (not always) squeaky front-end ....

Quick Reply: New to 997.2 as usual, some questions