LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:08 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by rednerrus
Anyone know which fuse WOULD be blown?
Im calling it a night and will work on it again tomorrow.
D10 is the PCM. D25 is the amp. See the attached diagram.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:08 AM
rednerrus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
D10 is the PCM. D25 is the amp. See the attached diagram.
Thanks for all your help so far. The PCM fuse was def blown, I replaced it and now the PCM at least turns on. I still csnt get power in to the LA Power unit though.

Also, I have a 3 way loop for thr fiber optic since the precious owner had a Tooki and a NavTV OPiP unit. Do I need to connect each fiber optic to something or can I leave one open?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:46 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all your help so far. The PCM fuse was def blown, I replaced it and now the PCM at least turns on. I still csnt get power in to the LA Power unit though.

Also, I have a 3 way loop for thr fiber optic since the precious owner had a Tooki and a NavTV OPiP unit. Do I need to connect each fiber optic to something or can I leave one open?
Glad you got the PCM working.

Lets break down the problem in separate steps as it seems like there are two issues so best to isolate the variables:

1. First, plug your PCM back in the way it was. Keep the fiber cable connected as it was previously with the Tooki.

2. Next tap your Aux power cable in the passenger footwell with the clips provided. Follow the instructions to make sure you tap correct cable colors. Make sure you press the metal clips in until they flush with the plastic housing and then secure the clips. Then send a picture of that setup.

3. Plug the power cable into the Lawpower unit and turn the PCM on (dont plug the fiber cable into the lapower unit yet). Then open your phone bluetooth settings. Do you see the lights on the back of the unit? Do you see "Carkit" as a new device in your phone bluetooth menu?

If yes, great. We can move onto the fiber cable.

If no, we need to regroup. (There is a possibility the Lapower unit wont power up without the fiber cable connected but I cant confirm that).

Lets get this done and then work on the fiber cable. pbxtr!! might be able to help more there. Mine was basically plug and play since I previously had an Mobridge.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:49 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by T.Hasse
Hi Bruce, Thanks for your reply -I will try to rewrite my questions and conclusion:

Yes the LaPower is installed.

To begin with my setup was following: PCM 2.1 with single CD, TEL module under front passenger-seat, No CD-changer, bluetooth or other devices connected.

I then installed the LaPower unit, connecting all wires as subscribed. My iPhone connected fine with the LaPower, but iPhone didn´t show on the PCM -I could hear music ande transfer calls from iPhone to car speakers.
Becasue my iPhone didn´t show on PCM, I decided to disconnected the TEL-module, and make a wire loop with the fibre/optic cables from the TEL-module. Turned everything on again, and the iPhone now showed on the PCM with name and signal-strength as you described, BUT everytime I turn the car on, I have to confirm Phone-Modul not active on the PCM-screen!
Question: Do you think it will help to re-active or de-active TEL in PCM with coding??

This was not a question, but a conclusion:-) my iPad mini is already installed in the car, and the LaPower works great with multiple bluetooth devices connected:-)

Another question: When you receive or making a phone call in the car, which speakers are then active??
When I listen to music all speakers are active, but when I make or receive calls only the speaker at the passenger-footwell is active

Got it. Yes, it sounds like because you had the factory Tel module installed you need to take it to your Indy or dealer and have them try to disable that feature with the PIWIS. I assume that shouldnt be hard.

Re the speakers that are active for phone calls, I honestly haven't checked. Seems like all of them but I haven't listened to closely. I will check next time and let you know.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:00 PM
pbxtr!!
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The Bruce, how did you set your DIP switches for volume? I left them all on default off position.

The music streaming volume and clarity are perfect, but the phone volume seems high and I hear a slight "humm" coming from the speakers when calling ... unless I turn PCM volume down.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:00 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pbxtr!!
The Bruce, how did you set your DIP switches for volume? I left them all on default off position.

The music streaming volume and clarity are perfect, but the phone volume seems high and I hear a slight "humm" coming from the speakers when calling ... unless I turn PCM volume down.
I left my DIP switches default. Thats what he said to do. There were some scenarios you should change them, but I forgot what those were...

I had a similar issue with phone calls when I first got it but was able to fix it simply (more on that later). Mine was an alternator whine that got louder with RPM. Thats typically caused by a ground loop. Based on my limited reading that can happen when the head unit and accessory use different ground wires. I figured it was because I tapped the passenger aux power instead of tapping the PCM power.

Instead of rewiring I accidentally found a much simpler solution...I just turned the iPhone volume to max for phone calls. That solved it.

The iPhone remembers its volume setting for different output interfaces. For phone calls my iPhone volume had been set low (less than half) which caused me to have to turn up the PCM volume. However my iPhone Music app was set to max volume when streaming, and it sounded great.

Try making a phone call and turning up the volume on your iPhone up to max while the call is active. That setting will save and should eliminate, or greatly reduce the problem.

Ps - rereading you note, you may have it the other way around. You Music app may have the volume set low and your call volume may be set high. Set them both to max.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:20 AM
rednerrus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you got the PCM working.

Lets break down the problem in separate steps as it seems like there are two issues so best to isolate the variables:

1. First, plug your PCM back in the way it was. Keep the fiber cable connected as it was previously with the Tooki.

2. Next tap your Aux power cable in the passenger footwell with the clips provided. Follow the instructions to make sure you tap correct cable colors. Make sure you press the metal clips in until they flush with the plastic housing and then secure the clips. Then send a picture of that setup.

3. Plug the power cable into the Lawpower unit and turn the PCM on (dont plug the fiber cable into the lapower unit yet). Then open your phone bluetooth settings. Do you see the lights on the back of the unit? Do you see "Carkit" as a new device in your phone bluetooth menu?

If yes, great. We can move onto the fiber cable.

If no, we need to regroup. (There is a possibility the Lapower unit wont power up without the fiber cable connected but I cant confirm that).

Lets get this done and then work on the fiber cable. pbxtr!! might be able to help more there. Mine was basically plug and play since I previously had an Mobridge.

So I followed your advice and went all the way back to square one. Replaced one of the modules (The NavTV OPiP) and got it to to work! So I guess the problem was, I can't leave any of the 3 fiber optic connections open. One went to the PCM, one to the LA Power, and I left the Tooki, and it finally worked! For whatever reason though, I have to leave the Tooki, and not the NavTV or else it doesn't work.
The LA Power is legit so far. I wish there was more space on the PCM for the music info of whatever Im playing. It usually only shows the song title and not the Artist. But I wasnt even expecting that with this unit, so no biggie.
Anyways, I appreciate all your help! Stock PCM with bluetooth connectivity is freakin awesome!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:50 PM
gary911
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered a unit from LAPower. Will be doing the install over the next 6 weeks. Will comment how it goes.

06 Cayman S - PCM 2.1 - 6 CDC - factory bose.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:07 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is a 2006 Carrera S with Navigation and Bose audio amplifier but no CD changer.

I bought the LaPower BT unit via Amazon per above links. Delivery was delayed, but not a problem with help from the seller.

Install is fairly simple as long as you understand the loop concept of the fibre optic connections, and how to remove the PCM unit. YouTube videos are ample. I referred to this one:

I tapped in to power from the aux cigarette lighter connection in the passenger footwell using the kit taps. No problem.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:20 PM
lisnter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Easy success with the LAPower

I just installed the LAPower about two weeks ago. It works as advertised and is better than the TranzitBlu HF I had put in a few years ago. My iPhone connects right away unlike the Tranzit which required an explicit connection from the Bluetooth control panel each time. It also does not mysteriously reconnect once the car is off - unlike the Tranzit. I was satisfied with the Tranzit but the LAPower is really much better.

Physical installation was pretty simple and since I had already tapped a fuse in the driver's side panel for power I did not need to splice into the PCM power line - which I didn’t want to do anyway. The fiber optic connectors were easy to use once I fiddled with them a bit and after I sat in the car looking at the arrows I understood the loop structure.

My car is a 2008 997 has the CD changer but no nav nor phone module. I tried the LAPower after I had wired everything together in the car - but before I bypassed the CD changer in the frunk. Telephone calls worked great but the CD changer was not recognized. I was a bit confused until I read this thread and RTFM closely. I had neglected to bypass the CD changer - duh. It makes a lot of sense that the car would be confused with both the LAPower and the changer in the loop.

I used the fiber bypass jumper and then music played just perfect. One thing I just noticed after a few days is a noise coming from the frunk that wasn't there before. My guess is the CD changer is confused because there is no longer any control connection (due to no fiber optic) and so it power cycles longer than it would otherwise. I neglected to unhook the power when I added the fiber bypass but maybe I should have?

Someone speculated that the LAPower would not turn on unless the device was fully connected with power + fiber. After I connected just the power I tried to see if the bluetooth name showed up and if the USB would charge. It did not. I figured it was because the installation was incomplete. Sure enough, once everything was fully wired up the USB charged as normal.

A great solution!
Old 12-21-2017, 06:12 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Hi guys - I wanted to send an important update over here to those that installed the LaPower unit and tapped the aux power cable in the passenger footwell...like me. I've been having a slow crank issue and have been debugging it for the past week in another thread. I was trying to figure out if it was a bad battery, corroded power distribution bolt, or bad starter/alternator cable (common on 997.1s).

It turns out the LaPower unit has been causing a substantial parasitic battery drain every night - because I wasnt locking my car doors in the garage. If you lock your car doors the car goes into a low power mode and shuts that aux power circuit down. If you dont, even though the PCM is shut off the bluetooth module stays powered on. I was drawing -2.5 amps with the car off and doors unlocked and that dropped to -0.02 amps with the doors locked.

So in conclusion...either tap the PCM power cable or if you have already tapped the Aux cable, just make sure you lock your doors at night.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:53 AM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi guys - I wanted to send an important update over here to those that installed the LaPower unit and tapped the aux power cable in the passenger footwell...like me. I've been having a slow crank issue and have been debugging it for the past week in another thread. I was trying to figure out if it was a bad battery, corroded power distribution bolt, or bad starter/alternator cable (common on 997.1s).

It turns out the LaPower unit has been causing a substantial parasitic battery drain every night - because I wasnt locking my car doors in the garage. If you lock your car doors the car goes into a low power mode and shuts that aux power circuit down. If you dont, even though the PCM is shut off the bluetooth module stays powered on. I was drawing -2.5 amps with the car off and doors unlocked and that dropped to -0.02 amps with the doors locked.

So in conclusion...either tap the PCM power cable or if you have already tapped the Aux cable, just make sure you lock your doors at night.
Hi Bruce,

I also tapped the aux for my la power install, didn't like the idea of messing with the pristine PCM cables

After reading your post, I locked my doors and the little 12V to USB adapter I use in the AUX port didn't turn off after leaving the car locked overnight (it has an annoying blue LED).

Did you verify that the AUX is shutting down? I'm wondering if my car is different.

I know most cars go into a lower power mode immediately after you turn it off and then 5-10 minutes later into a deep sleep (regardless of door lock state) but I've not measured a 997 before. I'm curious if your 2.5 amp measurement was measured after leaving the car off but unlocked overnight.

Also, looking at listner's post #70, the LA power might turn off or go into low power mode until it sees activity on the MOST bus.

Last edited by Type_LT; 01-07-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:03 AM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Folks,

Just a quick update that my LA Power install is complete and is working well.

One of my previous posts questioned the need to program my PCM 2.1 to have a CD changer. As it turns out, even though my car was not equipped with a frunk-mounted CD changer, it looks like the PCM2.1 still looks for a changer on boot (which the LA Power emulates).

My car is one of the last batch of 08's, so perhaps earlier PCM2.1 firmware could still need PIWIS to turn on CD changer functionality. FWIW my car came with factory navigation and BOSE which are also on the MOST bus.

My only installation tip is that I decided to zip tie the LA power module to the metal structure to the far-lower rear of the PCM2.1 mounting area. It's a great spot and allows the power, AUX and microphone cables to exit nicely to the left and right.

The phone call buttons on the PCM2.1 work well as do the next/previous track. One thing I can't figure out is how to pause using the PCM buttons, tried them all...
Old 01-07-2018, 02:38 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Type_LT
Hi Bruce,

I also tapped the aux for my la power install, didn't like the idea of messing with the pristine PCM cables

After reading your post, I locked my doors and the little 12V to USB adapter I use in the AUX port didn't turn off after leaving the car locked overnight (it has an annoying blue LED).

Did you verify that the AUX is shutting down? I'm wondering if my car is different.

I know most cars go into a lower power mode immediately after you turn it off and then 5-10 minutes later into a deep sleep (regardless of door lock state) but I've not measured a 997 before. I'm curious if your 2.5 amp measurement was measured after leaving the car off but unlocked overnight.

Also, looking at listner's post #70, the LA power might turn off or go into low power mode until it sees activity on the MOST bus.
Hi there - not sure about the status light. Mine was already buttoned up under the dash so I was testing with the multimeter on the battery. I had been testing for a few days and you can see the original posts in another thread here https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...esolved-4.html. See post 55.

Test procedure as follows:

- Multimeter on the battery
- First test with the engine off, doors unlocked. It was drawing 2.5 amps. I believe max recommended is ~0.3,
- Let sit for a few minutes. No change.
- Second test with the engine off, doors unlocked. Pulled the PCM fuse and it immediately dropped to 0.03 amps.
- Third test with engine off, doors locked. 5 seconds after the doors are locked the amps drop from 2.5 to 0.03.

Glad to hear your install went well and you didn't need to reprogram with PIWIS. I haven't had any issues with mine since I installed it. Ive had 1 or 2 times where the phone isn't found but I can manually connect it just by going to the bluetooth settings in my phone and tapping "carkit" to reconnect.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Did anyone of you have TranzIt Blu installed before? If so - what are the major differences? What is better?

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?